• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just bought 10.2" android tablet - need help identifying it

dankybett

Lurker
Jul 26, 2010
Hey,

I have just taken the plunge on buying a rip-off ipad from ebay after browsing the forums here and over at slatedroid.

From what I could make out, there is a number of 10 inch slates which are coming out now which are all basically the same, using the zenithink board. So I guessed that the 10.2" device that I bought would basically be a zenithink. However the ebay seller says this is essentially a large rockchip. But I can't find any info about a 10.2" rockchip tablet, just 7" models...

Here are the specs provided by the seller:

10.2" Rockchip Android Tablet Apad 1GHZ DUAL CORE PROCESSOR!!

CPU: RK2808 1GHZ Dual-Core - FASTEST PROCESSOR!!
Google Android OS 1.5
256MB DDR2 800mhz
Display: 10.2

I've never seen a rockchip with 256MB of ram, so that is nice. :D The rockchip at 1GHz seems impressive, but many stores list the CPU as the combination of the two cores. One is a ARM9 CPU and another is a DSP. But it would be nice if it really was a ARM9 CPU at 1GHz, so it might be worth checking out.

Rockchip has stated that RK2808 will never get Android 2.1 because it does not meet the minimal requirements. They will release a RK2809 for that.

Upvote 0
Yeah I am guessing the 1GHz refers to a combination of the two cores. But I have a feeling this information is incorrect. As I cannot find a rockchip of the same specification anywhere else. Can't even find anywhere selling a 10.2" rockchip?

I was assured it will arrive tomorrow, so I will be sure to post my findings...

Upvote 0
Yeah here is the ebay link:
**LATEST - 10.2" Rockchip Android Tablet Apad DUAL CORE on eBay (end time 01-Aug-10 21:37:06 BST)

The seller has been absolutely great, really quick to respond and has taken the time to answer every question I had. I bought the last one he had in stock this morning, and it will arrive tomorrow before 1pm.

It doesn't come with android 2.1 but hopefully someone will work out how to upgrade it - although it is a bit of a worry that I can't find another tablet online with the same description. The seller must be wrong about it being a rockchip. But then I really am new to this, so don't really have a clue! :thinking:

I will definitely post back here though when I have got it and had a play around though.

Upvote 0
Well the package did not come today unfortunately! Even though I was told it would be here guaranteed before 1pm. However the seller has great ebay feedback so I will give him the benefit of the doubt, and choose to believe that it is the royal mail that has let me down :mad: I expect it will arrive tomorrow now (which is annoying as I am out all day). But I will still post here once I get my hands on it!

I paid

Upvote 0
I have a hunch that these rockchips are VIA chips as they always fall in line with the VIA chip specs. It would make sense too that they would need little cooling and already have mpeg decoders built into the chip. These chips were designed and marketed a number of years ago usually with their logic boards EIPA. I have a couple and run linux servers on them. I wonder how they will preform in the tablet.

Upvote 0
Sorry for being slow to reply guys, I have been very busy and still not had a great deal of hands on time with the device. I have been posting on slatedroid as well, so it might be easier to show you what I have said over there. here is a link to a thread I started:

10.2" Rockchip Apad should be arriving today

In a nutshell: The device is nice, the specs don't seem to match what was advertised, I think there is half the ram so it is a little slow. Think with a bit of optimisation it would be great, but I just need to find out if anyone is working on a custom rom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones