• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [KERNEL][LG870] Freedom Kernel *Updated 9/14/14*

init.d doesnt seem to be working, tryna run some scripts that put out log files after they're done but its not working.
Download the script below and place in init.d and reboot then check for Test.log in /data directory.

If that doesn't work then reflash zv5 kernel zip and try script again.

If issue still persists go to /system/xbin and make sure you have a file named run-parts. If run-parts is missing then you have the wrong busybox installed.

As far as init.d I know I set it up properly 100% since that's easy and the same for any kernel. Init.d depends on busybox to be installed properly or it won't work.

00test

Upvote 0
Download the script below and place in init.d and reboot then check for Test.log in /data directory.

If that doesn't work then reflash zv5 kernel zip and try script again.

If issue still persists go to /system/xbin and make sure you have a file named run-parts. If run-parts is missing then you have the wrong busybox installed.

As far as init.d I know I set it up properly 100% since that's easy and the same for any kernel. Init.d depends on busybox to be installed properly or it won't work.

00test

tried it. run-parts is installed, still doesnt work.

Upvote 0
OK so I have root via framaroot and LTE2/VU2 Recovery. But I can not get a kernel to flash through my CWM recovery. Can you suggest a kernel that is compatible or do you think it might be this recovery? I have tried flashing both v4 and v5 of this kernel with no luck. What is init2? I had no problems with my GS2 but this device is tripping me up. Can you suggest a decent walkthrough?
thank you for your help in advance

Upvote 0
Ok I'm new to the whole scene of rooting and especially flashing roms. Being that this lg opt f7 seems to cause large rooting difficulties, I just wanted to throw in what I have done to mine to customize it without bricking it. I used framaroot.apk directly from my memory card. I used the gandolph exploit. It said failed three times. I then rebooted my phone and it said success and received root access. I have a really basic framework and mods installed called xposed. It has some interesting features that work on this phone but I'm ready to move on to bigger and better things. Can someone please walk me through how to get a nice ROM on with features that can greatly customize my phone? I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to the flashing recovery/rooting terminology so please go easy.
One more question, boost throttles my already slow 3g after 2.5gb and my 4g always switches right back to 3g after like two minutes which is frustrating.. so is there s a way to prevent the throttling our reset the data count and is there a way to keep it connected to 4g without switching back to 3g. Help is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Ok I'm new to the whole scene of rooting and especially flashing roms. Being that this lg opt f7 seems to cause large rooting difficulties, I just wanted to throw in what I have done to mine to customize it without bricking it. I used framaroot.apk directly from my memory card. I used the gandolph exploit. It said failed three times. I then rebooted my phone and it said success and received root access. I have a really basic framework and mods installed called xposed. It has some interesting features that work on this phone but I'm ready to move on to bigger and better things. Can someone please walk me through how to get a nice ROM on with features that can greatly customize my phone? I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to the flashing recovery/rooting terminology so please go easy.

No Roms yet

One more question, boost throttles my already slow 3g after 2.5gb and my 4g always switches right back to 3g after like two minutes which is frustrating.. so is there s a way to prevent the throttling our reset the data count and is there a way to keep it connected to 4g without switching back to 3g. Help is greatly appreciated.

You can do this in the hidden menu (5689#*870#) IOT(CDG) -> System selection -> Network mode. Change it to LTE only. I wouldn't recommend it though based on what you're saying because it sounds like you don't have enough signal strength to remain on 4G since you need more signal strength to connect to 4G than 3G.

Upvote 0
Hey Gametheory did you ever build the ZV5 kernel from source? like no edits whatsoever and have me tested it? i cant remember.
I always build my kernels from source. If you like to check for yourself, open SetCPU and go to /info/device and under kernel you should see (gametheory@ubuntu). The source code automatically takes your PC's user name and domain name and adds it to the source. That cannot be added manually without compiling source.

Upvote 0
I always build my kernels from source. If you like to check for yourself, open SetCPU and go to /info/device and under kernel you should see (gametheory@ubuntu). The source code automatically takes your PC's user name and domain name and adds it to the source. That cannot be added manually without compiling source.

yeah i know but did you ever just build it from source with no edits to it whatsoever and had me tested it to see if it booted?

Upvote 0
No Roms yet

You can do this in the hidden menu (5689#*870#) IOT(CDG) -> System selection -> Network mode. Change it to LTE only. I wouldn't recommend it though based on what you're saying because it sounds like you don't have enough signal strength to remain on 4G since you need more signal strength to connect to 4G than 3G.

Wow thanks that is great info if they ever build a 4g tower closer to me I'm going to use your method.
I found a solution to stopping the throttle by boost. go to the system data folders and look for the folder called throttle. change the permissions from -rw to -r amd the file which consists of a string of numbers. I used the es browser which its amazing while rooted. I know that rom toolbox pro and titanium backup are good apps but es has become a really smooth Windows like program.

Upvote 0
Kernel Updated!

New added features:
  • Updated to ZV5 bootloader
  • Frandom built in for increased speed - details
  • Added SmartassV2 governor
  • Added Intellidemand governor
  • Added Superbad governor
  • Enabled Conservative governor
  • Init.d support is now built in and no longer needs sysinit
This has been loki'd with the new loki update and will also upgrade your bootloader to ZV5.

Please do not include this kernel in any roms. Thanks

;)

Reactions: monticello
Upvote 0
So I can delete my universal initial d app?

Yes you can delete that app.

Just place your init.d scripts in the /system/etc/init.d folder. I've included an init.d script called 00test in that folder which tests to make sure init.d is working. It creates a file called Test.log in the /data directory. Once you know init.d is working you can delete 00test and Test.log if you like.

Reactions: monticello
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones