• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Latest version of Swype for Droid?

So I uninstalled the original Swype and now have the Swype Beta running- All I get is an error when I try to actually use the keyboard "The Swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality. I am running a Droid with stock 2.0.1. Am I missing something simple?

EDIT: I see the following on their site
Q: I registered and downloaded a beta-version Swype but I get one of the following messages:

• "The Swype package you installed is configured for another device"
  • "Your Swype version has expired"
  • "Download of the Package Failed"

A: On your phone, open the "Welcome to the Swype Beta" email and download the Swype-Installer again. Let it replace the existing installer and finish doing the installation again. There was an error in our previous installer version.

will try that!

im running 2.1 BB .6 and I dont get that error at all

Upvote 0
I have got a question about swype since we are on that subject. I have got one of the older versions. I really do like it for portrait mode because I can just fly through an email or text one handed. My problem comes when I wish to use landscape mode. I truly type a lot faster using the landscape on screen keyboard. So I generally use the landscape when I can but swype is really helpful when I just need to send something off real quick one handed. My question is can swype be setup only for portrait mode and then automatically resort to the android landscape keyboard when needed? Or another more simple solution possibly?

Upvote 0
My question is can swype be setup only for portrait mode and then automatically resort to the android landscape keyboard when needed? Or another more simple solution possibly?

Unfortunately, you have to manually switch keyboards when going from portrait to landscape. Long-press the text field, tap Input Method, then make your selection.

Upvote 0
I just went to the Swype forums, an saw this post: Still having issues? Troubleshooting Tips from the Swype Team - so I decided to give it another shot, since this is a new message since I last went to the forums.

The latest version that got installed is 1.25.16.5652.t100

The error message regarding
"The Swype package you installed is configured for another device"
is no longer happening.

Kudos, Swype!

Reactions: magdelaine
Upvote 0
I have used a swype keyboard for the last three-ish months, installed sometime before Christmas. I had to switch back to the standard keyboard a few days ago - the Swype keyboard would go buggy on my just often enough to be annoying. by buggy I mean it would do symbols even when it showed letters/numbers and the whole keyboard would lock up. This usually happened when it was in the car mount.

Anyone else experience this? It was so damn good at typing what I wanted though.

I had the same issue. I've been using the unauthorized release since December, and it worked great until about 3 weeks ago.

So, today I uninstalled Swype from my sd card, and downloaded the beta release from androidcentral.com. But when I installed it on the sd card, and restarted my droid, I get an error message that says my trial version of Swype has expired and I need to upgrade! What gives?!?

Upvote 0
make sure you uninstall everything Swype related, and then read that link I posted - you'll need to DL the newest installer and start from scratch.

FWIW, in your apps, you should see 2 Swype entries - the installer and the app - uninstall both and then download the installer again (don't use the one you DLd before - delete that one before downloading the new one from the email you got as a Beta tester sign up.

Upvote 0
I used Swype unauthorized for a few weeks until it told me it had expired. I signed up for the beta and downloaded the installer, and it gave me the "The Swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality" error (and at this point I could use the keyboard but not the word-tracing feature). I redownloaded the installer from the email I got about the beta, uninstalled Swype, and then reinstalled it. I no longer get the error about "configured for the wrong device", but the word-tracing function still doesn't work. Any ideas? Do I have to enable that somehow?

Upvote 0
I used Swype unauthorized for a few weeks until it told me it had expired. I signed up for the beta and downloaded the installer, and it gave me the "The Swype package you installed is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality" error (and at this point I could use the keyboard but not the word-tracing feature). I redownloaded the installer from the email I got about the beta, uninstalled Swype, and then reinstalled it. I no longer get the error about "configured for the wrong device", but the word-tracing function still doesn't work. Any ideas? Do I have to enable that somehow?

Exact same for me, I have a feeling it was due to it the leaked version we had that expired

Upvote 0

Try long pressing in the text box to change to the standard android keyboard, then switch back to swype. That works for me.

Upvote 0
make sure you uninstall everything Swype related, and then read that link I posted - you'll need to DL the newest installer and start from scratch.

FWIW, in your apps, you should see 2 Swype entries - the installer and the app - uninstall both and then download the installer again (don't use the one you DLd before - delete that one before downloading the new one from the email you got as a Beta tester sign up.

Ok, at least now, I no longer get the error message. Now, with the newly downloaded and installed version of Swype all I get is a flash of a blue box around the on-screen keyboard.

I can tap individual letters, but anytime I try to Swype I get nothing but the flash of the blue box.

Any suggestions on what to try next?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Question, I had the leaked version installed and when I saw that they put out the official beta version I tried to install it. Instead of uninstalling the first version I had, I just deleted the file in astro. When I tried to install the beta version it said I had another version installed and that I had to uninstall it first. Now every time I try to reinstall the first version I had and uninstall it again it says uninstall failed. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Question, I had the leaked version installed and when I saw that they put out the official beta version I tried to install it. Instead of uninstalling the first version I had, I just deleted the file in astro. When I tried to install the beta version it said I had another version installed and that I had to uninstall it first. Now every time I try to reinstall the first version I had and uninstall it again it says uninstall failed. Any suggestions?

I was in the same boat as you: Go to Settings > Applications and uninstall the previous version. Simply deleting the file from Astro doesn't do it.

Upvote 0
I don't understand the big deal about the expiring thing (an issue that I'm also having).

Just download ShapeWriter...

tried shapewriter for a few minutes it was terrible for accuracy versus swype, to me that's a BIG DEAL.

and my swype didn't "expire" until the beta sign up was closed...damn it, but anywho I found a version online that I was able to download / install no problem and now I have swype again, that was a terrible 8 hours without swype...haha

Upvote 0
The version that you found online is most likely the old leaked version, version 0.35.16.xxxx, IIRC.

The Beta, in contrast, is currently at 1.25.16.5652.t100

This beta is much smoother, and if it were not for the DRM-like linking to a single phone / ROM / whatever, I'd be advocating it over every other KB out there. It is incredibly precise, an it even warned me today that I had accidentally added gmzil when trying to type gmail, and told me how to remove it from the dictionary if in fact I did not want gmzil in my dictionary of learned words....

Also, redesigned the UI, moving some keys around, which, to me, are placed much better now than in that older version....

And this latest doesn't FC on alternate ROMs near as much as the old version does.

Upvote 0
I have installed the BETA version of Swype, and it works great...until I have to do a restart on my phone. Then I get the error of ....the version of Swype installed was configured for a different phone... It clears after an uninstall and reinstall.

Not the end of the world, but rather annoying.
I found that you do not need to reinstall after a restart. Just temporarily change the input method to stock (by long pressing) and then change back to swype.

Upvote 0
I found that you do not need to reinstall after a restart. Just temporarily change the input method to stock (by long pressing) and then change back to swype.

I just checked on the Swype website, and they say exactly the same thing. Thanks for the help.

Problems? Yeah we see them too...

Q: I registered and downloaded a beta-version Swype but I get one of the following messages:
  • "The Swype package you installed is configured for another device..."
  • "Your Swype version has expired some functionality..."
A: On your phone, open the "Welcome to the Swype Beta" email and download the Swype-Installer again. Let it replace the existing installer and finish doing the installation again. There was an error in our previous installer version.

NOTE!!! On some phones, including the Droid and the Nexus One, this upgrade only partially fixes the issue. You may still see one of the messages above after upgrading to the newest version. The workaround is - Each time you turn on your phone, before entering text, you need to switch between the Swype Keyboard and the Android Keyboard. After switching back to the Swype Keyboard it should work fine until you reboot again. Yes, it's annoying and we're working on it - It's a beta!

Upvote 0
So is there a download link for this new 1.16xxx version?

Swype opened up the Beta version for Android awhile back, but they have since closed it. So, unless you were able to register during that time period, I don't know of any other options.

You could still sign up, and you will be notified when Swype reopens the Beta to a larger group. The link to the website is below.

Swype | Text Input for Screens

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones