• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

List of Emulators

There are several emulators for arcade games as well. They aren't as polished as the console emulators though.

Those are not playable on touch only devices, since no multi-touch support in the apps. The following emulators are now a waste that I bought (unless I get a KB device) since no multi-touch. They played great on the Droid and good on the G1 clocked to 528mhz. Problem is I have an Inc.

1. Jarcade
2. Android Arcade Emulator
3. PCE16

All three are great at what they do- if you have a keyboard and if using a 7201 chipset, max clock (528mhz) is a must.

Upvote 0
Jarcade is a ported android version of Mame 0.36.
I can't belive no one mentions Frodo the Commodore 64 emulator. And there is Marvin a ZX spectrum emulator. Dosbox and Scumm is in develoment now and there is alpha versions out. Last there is also a apple 2 emulator called cAndy Apple

added Frodo, cAndy Apple, and Marvin
couldnt find Jarcade, Dosbox, or Scumm on the market.
if you can give links to these emulators ill add them with the links.

Upvote 0
I can't wait for the release of the PSX emulator.

ya me too. although i am weary about the controls for this. the controls for the snes and GBA are already a little cramped on the screen. having the 2 extra L and R buttons for psx controller just seems like it will be too much.
right now for gba i make the L and R buttons invisible so i can press them if i need to but try not to play games that i need to press them for.

BOF2 only requires me to hit the R button when wanting my chars to defend for a turn.

Upvote 0
Madmya
Most of the emulators support multi touch. But it's very importand that your phone supports it two. The Oid emulators also lets you map keys to any of the hardware buttons. I know that, desire has multi touch support and it also has some hardware keys to take advantage of. I'm not sure about the X10, Pesonally i went with a Milestone because of the hardware keyboard.

Upvote 0
It looks like we also have a version of Vice for the Android.
Vice 2.2 (C64 emu) - 8 June 2010 - Android Games Development
With Vice64 you can play Commodore 64 games on your mobile. And it's working great. But you have to map the joystick buttons, to your mobiles hardware button manually.

I also tried a version of Qemu for Android.
It's PC OS emulator. It runs windows 95 and 98 at great speeds. I don't know how to install games in it since it runs from an image of the OS. But i did play a game of Hearts :)
I found it on XDA, so you need to do a search for it "qemu android xda" to get it.

Upvote 0
wow thats pretty amazing windows 98 :)
if your running it from an image you should be able to write to that image as well. so you should be able to install anything you want to it just as if it was a normal computer. the only issues i see are that we really need a real keyboard/mouse to play any games on it. i heard that there will be USB-Host coming to android soon though so you should be able to plug in a usb-hub and then add a keyboard/mouse to any android device.

Upvote 0
There is a new mame emulator on the Market. It's called Tiger mame. The same developer also made two gba emulators. GVBA and Tiger gba. GVBA works great, but doesn't support multi touch. If you enable compability mode, you can even run GTA advance, but it's slow in that mode. The Tiger mame and Tiger gba doesn't work on my Milestone though.
You can try them out they are free. If any one get lucky enough to run Tiger mame. Please let me now how it works

Upvote 0
Hi, we have just published a NES Emulator - it's called Nostalgia.NES Lite and it's free.

I cannot post links being a newbie here, so just search for Nostalgia.NES on Google Play...

GameBoy Color and GameBoy Advance emulators are comming soon, so stay tuned :)

edit:
Ok it seems I can post links already - here you go :)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nostalgiaemulators.neslite

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones