• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Locked out of device with passwordless lock screen

Hi there. Today I needed to put a lock screen onto my Samsung Galaxy A10 phone so I can view one of my passwords saved on google. After I finished viewing that password, I turned off the lock screen. After that happened, the lock screen still remained, but the password I put in didn't work. I can no longer access my device because it has a lock screen without a password and I don't want to perform a factory reset until I know that there are absolutely 100% no other solutions that don't cost extra money. I have tried multiple options given by googling, all of which didn't work, gave unclear instructions, or cost money.

yeah i do not know, but i think you might be sol. you might have to perform a hard reset. this is different then a factory reset which is done thru the phone's settings. since you can't get access to it's settings you will have to perform a hard reset which is a combo of power + volume buttons.

https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-galaxy-a10e/

sorry but it seems to me that is your only option.

Upvote 0
I have never heard of needing to use a lockscreen to see a password.

Personally, I use Bitwarden, a password manager app.

https://bitwarden.en.uptodown.com/android
I'm using Bitwarden on 4 devices running 4 different operating systems. Gradually replacing other solutions and improving my security (though my banking passwords remain entirely in my head and nowhere else).

What exactly does "lockscreen without password" mean? There's no way of entering a password, or that it doesn't recognise any password, PIN, fingerprint you enter?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'm using Bitwarden on 4 devices running 4 different operating systems. Gradually replacing other solutions and improving my security (though my banking passwords remain entirely in my head and nowhere else).

What exactly does "lockscreen without password" mean? There's no way of entering a password, or that it doesn't recognise any password, PIN, fingerprint you enter?
By lockscreen without password, I mean that the lockscreen exists, but the password that unlocks it does not. So I'm saying that it doesn't recognize any password, PIN, or fingerprint I enter.

Upvote 0
By lockscreen without password, I mean that the lockscreen exists, but the password that unlocks it does not. So I'm saying that it doesn't recognize any password, PIN, or fingerprint I enter.
on the lockscreen, what is it asking for?password? pin? or fingerprint? it will only ask for one.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
How on Earth does that get turned on without user action? Some things have default PINs (though not the lockscreen) but there is no default pattern. And if you turn it off it deletes any pattern or PIN that's stored (and fingerprints if you use them), so it can't just "remember" an old pattern.

This is the system lockscreen, not some third party app? And you turned it off by setting the screen protection to "none"? If so this is sounding like a bug in that phone's software.

Upvote 0
How on Earth does that get turned on without user action? Some things have default PINs (though not the lockscreen) but there is no default pattern. And if you turn it off it deletes any pattern or PIN that's stored (and fingerprints if you use them), so it can't just "remember" an old pattern.

This is the system lockscreen, not some third party app? And you turned it off by setting the screen protection to "none"? If so this is sounding like a bug in that phone's software.
It is not a third party app, I specifically set it to "swipe" which is essentially the passwordless option because I just swipe and it opens. So yes, I do completely believe that this is a bug in the phone's software.

Reactions: Hadron and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I got a fix!!! I forced my phone to turn off and on again by forcefully draining the battery and the lock screen got removed upon reboot. I believe this only worked because I removed the lock screen and it was a software glitch when it remained, but I'm sending this update so that this thread can be closed. Thank you to everyone who responded to my thread!

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones