• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Locked screen/no display

jarod1076

Lurker
Apr 8, 2013
Last year the screen on my desire was damaged and is now black grey and white. Everything on my phone I had backed up to my email. My email accounts were hacked and lost everything from my phone.

I have a screen lock on the phone. I'm unable to sync with my computer. Is there anyway I can get around the screen lock with out doing a factory reset?

Thanks
Jarod

Hi jarod, and welcome to AF :)

Does the touch panel not work? If it did you might be able to undo the lockscreen just by trial and error. Or boot it up but don't let the screen turn off, in which case the lockscreen won't activate.

I'm guessing though that the touch panel is dead, which would make this much harder. What information are you trying to get off the phone? The problem is that stuff like contacts and messages is stored in a place that's hard to access if you are not rooted (except by running apps on the phone, which you clearly can't do).

Upvote 0
They touch screen does not work. I had my phone at work sitting on a bench seat. My co worker lifted up the bench seat crushing my phone. Since then the screen has black grey and white lines on it.

The phone is not rooted. I'm trying to get pictures off of it that were not no the sd card

Upvote 0
OK, this thread might have something: http://androidforums.com/htc-one-x-xl/611035-managing-files-pc-when-touchscreen-not-working.html.

The problem this member had was that their touchscreen didn't work, though the display still did. We threw a few ideas around, but the breakthrough was when Scary Alien wrote an app called "AF Rescue", which you can load from the Play Store. Scan through the thread until you find his posts and you'll see what it does.

The trick is that you can install apps without the touchscreen by going to play.google.com, as long as your phone has a network connection. What you can't do is start them up. So AF Rescue is an app that starts when the phone boots and fires up WiFi File Explorer. With this app you can browse files on your phone over WiFi from a computer on the same WiFi network. With the screen off you'd have to guess the ip address, but it's probably not too hard (a little trial and error or looking at your router's settings).

If you don't have WiFi already on you won't be able to turn it on. However, it says in that thread that he's written a second version, AF Rescue 2, which launches MyPhoneExplorer, which I think will work over usb (I've never used it. Needs a client on the PC too).

What might be a problem is that I don't know whether either will let you retrieve the files you want. If they are not on sd I assume they are in /data somewhere, and even my rooted phone won't let me browse that using WiFi File Explorer. And it might be wise to choose which one you wish to try first, because while you can install apps from the play store on the web I see no way of uninstalling them, so whichever AF Rescue you load you can't unload - as they try to do similar things when you boot the phone, I don't know what happens if you have both installed.

Sorry I've nothing better. I fear that you may not be able to access the pictures because of where they are stored, but it's all I can think of right now.

Reactions: Tyseyh
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones