• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looked at the incredible.

I'm a geek who loves his Eris, but is fairly unbiased and realizes the Eris can in no way compete with the Incredible. I've played with the Incredible a few times now and it does not feel cheap. It's built as solidly as any other HTC phone. The weird back makes it easier to hold, and the speed is blindingly fast. The Incredible is THE BEST Android phone you can buy right now, period.

I have to agree. You can't deny the speed the Incredible has over the Eris. Both are great phones and operate the way they need to...

And for the comment regarding the Internet browsing speed on the Incredible vs. the Eris... it's just like any device you use to connect to the Internet. No matter how fast your computer/laptop/tablet/smartphone is, when it comes to the Internet, the device can only go as fast as the connection... and in this case, it's the Verizon 3G network. No faster, or slower, for any device.

Upvote 0
I see the Eris as a striped down version of the incredible.. but for all your regular tasks the Eris should be all you over need, at this place in time..

Both are fine phones.. I would have gotten the incredible, but when I went in to get my phone they said if I got an Eris my Wife would also get one for free so we went with the Eris and I have no complaints..

Upvote 0
I have to agree. You can't deny the speed the Incredible has over the Eris. Both are great phones and operate the way they need to...

And for the comment regarding the Internet browsing speed on the Incredible vs. the Eris... it's just like any device you use to connect to the Internet. No matter how fast your computer/laptop/tablet/smartphone is, when it comes to the Internet, the device can only go as fast as the connection... and in this case, it's the Verizon 3G network. No faster, or slower, for any device.

Just going to say that. I believe its the 3G network that would be holding the Incredible back. On wifi, it would probably be a different story. Or it could even be the Android stock browser. Its not known for being a speed demon.

Upvote 0
Truelove79, you are correct in what you state. Somewhat. Up to the point of "the Eris is on it's way out..." It's not. At least not more than any technology in the world today. In reality, everything is on it's way out, right? Even you and me. So objectively, you have some very valid points.

Now let me be subjective for a minute. I have both phones on my account and use the DI about 80% of the time and the Eris when I go out to the gym and bars, etc. (20% is not bad, right?) The Eris has become a friend, a comfortable one at that. I don't worry about dropping it, I've done that a bunch of times, it's comfortable in my hand, and it's quick enough for my needs. If I'm home and I need to buzz through a bunch of things like email, FB, and navigation while on the road, yes, I use the DI.

Now here's the thing. I'm about to give my Eris to my daughter, I've done a full wipe (yes Frisco, a factory reset) and it's ready as of yesterday. But I haven't called her yet to inform her. I just can't get myself to give it up. I've been scouring the boards for another but haven't found one at the right price yet. ($125 ...2.1 OTA.. hint) So what do you make of that? I have a DI and yes, it's blindingly fast. But I love my Eris.
Now for the OP and others, understand this is totally subjective. Take it for what it's worth.

Upvote 0
Now, asking what phone should I get on a dedicated forum will certainly give you biased info. However, as many can attest, our trolls tend to weigh in just as heavily.

Which is the reason that there was so much of a big deal made out of people posting about the Inc on the Eris forum and vice versa.

Personally, I go with the no big deal philosophy. My grandma has a Jitterbug! Should I go rub it in her face that she chose such a simple phone with no speed and no features? It works for her. That's the beauty of having a variety of phones on one carrier. Different phones meet different needs for different folks. If we all wanted the same phone, Verizon would just sell one and everybody would buy that.

Upvote 0
Truelove79, you are correct in what you state. Somewhat. Up to the point of "the Eris is on it's way out..." It's not. At least not more than any technology in the world today. In reality, everything is on it's way out, right? Even you and me. So objectively, you have some very valid points.

That's essentially what I meant. Every piece of technology is on it's way out once it hits the market, but even more so with the Eris as it was already outdated when it hit Verizon. Believe me, I love my Eris, but seriously people, it's just simply outdated. It's a great phone much like my 2003 car that I still love to drive, but there are bigger and better things out there now. Don't try to stop someone from buying a better product, just because you're either jealous or biased toward your product that you're "stuck" with. Other than price, there is just no way the Eris can beat the Incredible if you're being truly honest with yourself. And the reason I can confidently say that is because they're essentially THE SAME PHONE, the Incredible is basically a souped up version of the Eris. So if you love the Eris, why wouldn't you love the Incredible as well?

Upvote 0
incredible > eris. i own an eris and i have a friend with the incredible. it's better in every way i personally think. ofc you all own eris's like me and will not want to admit it and say incredible is junky or feels like poop but overall it's better in every way. stop nut hugging the eris like it's some gods gift. the eris is old and not that great anymore. /thread

Upvote 0
I'm a geek who loves his Eris, but is fairly unbiased and realizes the Eris can in no way compete with the Incredible. I've played with the Incredible a few times now and it does not feel cheap. It's built as solidly as any other HTC phone. The weird back makes it easier to hold, and the speed is blindingly fast. The Incredible is THE BEST Android phone you can buy right now, period.

People on this forum may be "perfectly happy with the Eris" and satisfied that it can "do everything they want it to do" and realize "not everyone needs a super powerful phone", but the fact is that phones get faster and cheaper every day, and right now the Eris is on it's way out and the Incredible is the phone to have.

100% true & written perfect!

Upvote 0
Which is the reason that there was so much of a big deal made out of people posting about the Inc on the Eris forum and vice versa.

Personally, I go with the no big deal philosophy. My grandma has a Jitterbug! Should I go rub it in her face that she chose such a simple phone with no speed and no features? It works for her. That's the beauty of having a variety of phones on one carrier. Different phones meet different needs for different folks. If we all wanted the same phone, Verizon would just sell one and everybody would buy that.

You're missing my point. I agree different strokes for different folks, or different phones for different folks. But the Eris and the Incredible are SO CLOSE to the same phone, that this argument doesn't hold up. For anyone wanting an Eris, they would most likely be much happier with an Incredible (not taking price into account). Seriously, they fulfill the same needs, have essentially the same features, and practically look the same. The Incredible is a souped up version of the Eris. It's not like we're comparing the Eris to a $20 dumb phone. If that were the case then yeah I would agree with "Different phones meet different needs for different folks." But the Incredible and the Eris compete in the same market segment. They're not filling "different needs".

Upvote 0
incredible > eris. i own an eris and i have a friend with the incredible. it's better in every way i personally think. ofc you all own eris's like me and will not want to admit it and say incredible is junky or feels like poop but overall it's better in every way. stop nut hugging the eris like it's some gods gift. the eris is old and not that great anymore. /thread

It is great, but yes, it's old and beginning to feel that way when you get your hands on a new phone. I'm not bashing the Eris, I still love it and am not jealous of Incredible users at all, I'm just telling it like it is. The Incredible is a better phone and if I were due for an upgrade right now, I would get one.

Upvote 0

This guy may not have put it the most eloquently, but he is entirely right. Better phones are out there. The Eris had its time to shine (although brief). Now its the Incredible's turn. Heck, for all we know, the Moto Droid will probably be EOL'd in a few months and it will be considered out of date as a new Droid phone comes out. That's just the sad truth of the tech world. If it was a few months ago, I would have definitely recommended the Eris, even with it being out of date, its still a great phone. But I can say that I would anymore. Not because the Eris is a bad phone, but because its pretty out of date now.

Upvote 0
each phone is what it is.. i feel like the eris was a sucess for htc and a platform for them to build on for the incredible..i have eris, im happy with it, and i am very excited about HTC aggresiviness to keep building newer phones..Why cant we be supportive of an outstanding company willing to give us great phones? it wont be long before the incredible will be "looked down" on because something newer is out..celebrate and enjoy the tech I say...jus my 2 cents

Upvote 0
each phone is what it is.. i feel like the eris was a sucess for htc and a platform for them to build on for the incredible..i have eris, im happy with it, and i am very excited about HTC aggresiviness to keep building newer phones..Why cant we be supportive of an outstanding company willing to give us great phones? it wont be long before the incredible will be "looked down" on because something newer is out..celebrate and enjoy the tech I say...jus my 2 cents

Well played sir, but your comments under your avatar tell a different story!

Upvote 0

Very well said

Upvote 0

I don't think anyone is "looking down" on the Eris. We all agree it's a good phone, but it's time has almost passed. My point is just that for anyone wanting a new phone, the Incredible is probably a better choice than the Eris (without taking price into consideration).

Upvote 0
I bought the Eris back in November and knew when I bought it that it was basically outdated and that this was just the beginning of something big. I'm not an extreme user and the Eris with the OTA 2.1 does everything I need for now. I'm still in awe what this little black device is capable of. I know when it is time for an upgrade, something a lot more intriguing than the Incredible will be there for the taking.

Upvote 0

Are we really trying to make your hip 'ol grandma the posterchild of smartphones? I know she probably listens to lady gaga and thinks she's awesome and everything, but I think the jitterbug comment is out of place for this context. We're not telling people with flip phones to get an incredible or whatever else. Some of us are saying the incredible would be a better buy because it does what you already want in the eris so much better. For smartphone users, it's not totally unreasonable to say "this one's newer and better, you might like it and be less annoyed with it than the eris".

I'd even say most of us on here don't have a smartphone because we have the most basic of needs. Who on here got an eris to use it as a calculator? If someone has the money to get something newer and better and they just don't know too much about this new phone called "the incredible", it's not being overbearing or pushy to suggest getting it. It's being helpful

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones