• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mac + Droid = tethering?

pkeeler

Lurker
Dec 4, 2009
I was just wondering if anyone has gotten tethering to work on their Mac with their Droid. NOT WINDOWS. I know PDAnet works with Windows, but I don't have that garbage, I have a MacBook Pro.

I had the BlackBerry Storm2 for a week when it was released (not impressive, exchanged for Droid the day is was released), however, they had an App for BlackBerry called 'TetherBerry' and I bought it for $25 and it worked flawlessly with my MacBook Pro (i kind of threw my money away since i exchanged my phone).. but it was the easiest tethering App on earth. I opened the app on my computer and phone, plugged it in USB, and boom, instant internet. No Hassle. That easy. Just seeing if there was something like that for Droid (mac users.. again, NOT WINDOWS).

I prefer using USB, because its faster and my phone's battery charges in the process. Something has to be out there sooner or later... let me know if anyone has information on this. Thanks -

Yeah, it's pretty slow but I got used to the speed. I used to commute 45 min each way on a train everyday, and used to tether to my voyager.

What I would do is load up a text heavy website first, once that was done, have a shortcut to my 10 or 12 other frequented sites, and go back to read the first loaded site while the others finished. That way barely any waiting at all. The key is to always have other pages ready to read while new pages are loading.

I tried tethering with a usb cable to my voyager but I thought it was more of a hassle than it was worth, especially with my technique above. Of course this was all before the droid, now I don't even pull out the laptop.

Upvote 0
PDANet allows me to connect my MacBook Pro to my Droid 2.0 for about 12 seconds (browser will load) and then a popup always opens saying "The modem has unexpectedly hungup. Please verify your settings and try again."

For those Mac users who PDANet works for: what are your settings? What am I missing for the Mac modem to continually disconnect?

thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones