• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help managing files on PC when the touchscreen is not working

if the phone was opened up can the memory be taken out somehow?

failing the adb acess to pull the photos off,i think this is worth exploring. not so much removing the memory and doing something with it,but possibly a compitent repair shop could replace the digitizer(or whatever the exact issue is with the touch screen) adn just get your phone working again.

a physical repair should not affect the phones memory... so wen you get it back,you can immediately enable usb debug(;)) and go ahead and back up everything important to the PC

this would be an out of your own pocket expense,but may be worth the cost to recovery your photos and videos,if all else fails

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
OH no no no please take your time guys ;) really im in no hurry. i am more than appreciative . thank you ;) you guys are so awesome!!!

I'll try the Mini-SDK.zip just let me know what to do. and if that fails then ill take it to a repair shop and have them fix it? you think they can? its possible?

i had google+ on there and that was supposed to back up and instantly upload all media but i went into the account and it didnt :( it said i had to set it to upload, however on my son's phone his is atuomatically set to that.

anyway ill try the Mini-SDK.zip and also maybe see if scary's app works :) ill be a guinea pig for the testing :) i dont mind. Even if we do get it going ill for sure test anything with you guys.

thank you again for everything :) :)

Upvote 0
Lara,

Okay, to use the adb utility, you'll need to have installed the appropriate HTC USB drivers.

Scotty provided a link for that above, but here it is again: http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe.

After the USB drivers are installed, you'll want to visit this thread:

http://androidforums.com/faqs/443072-adb-guide-updated-12-05-2011-a.html

and have a peek at the "Mini-SDK" section (click it's "Show" button to expand it). Inside that "Show", you'll see a download for "sdk-tools.zip". Follow the instructions for extracting to a folder on your PC.

After you get the USB drivers installed the adb utility extracted, you'll want to start-up a Windows Command Prompt (I'm assuming you are Windows, right?) and change / navigate to the folder where you extracted the above sdk-tools.zip files.

Now, if you do / did have USB debugging enabled on your phone and the USB drivers are properly installed, you should be able to issue the following command:

adb.exe devices

- or -

adb devices
If that command spits-out your phone's serial number in the form of:

<device serial #> device

then that's great news.

I'm not real hopeful since it sounds like you probably never enabled USB debugging or had a need to...but if you did and you see a serial number being displayed, then we can easily pull / retrieve the files from your phone.

Check it out and let us know!

:)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
just to add a lil more info:

looks like the zipped up sdk-tools.zip download contains an unzipped folder inside.

youll simply download(heres a link to the thread: our forums' mini-sdk) if windows does not automatically open the folder for you,you can right click,then extract if youre using windows 7. other versions may require you to use a utility such as 7 zip to extract the file.

if windows opens the folder for you,and presents you the unzipped file,then simply drag and drop it onto your c drive,not inside any folders.

open a cmd window by clicking the start bubble,then type "cmd" or "command" in the search box. that should open a small back window. you will navigate to the sdk-tools folder by typing(or copy/paste) in the command window:

cd c:\sdk-tools

and that will change your prompt to c:\sdk-tools>

in your window,it will look something like this,if it works(red are your inputs):
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Scott>[COLOR="Red"]cd c:\sdk-tools[/COLOR]

c:\sdk-tools>[COLOR="red"]adb devices[/COLOR]
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
HTxxxxxxxxxx    device

c:\sdk-tools>

unfortunately, the option (usb debugging),as scary mentioned,is not on by default,and its unlikely as a non-rooted phone user that you would have enabled it. when usb debugging is on,there actually should be an icon in the status bar,telling you so.

failing using adb to pull your images...
. and if that fails then ill take it to a repair shop and have them fix it? you think they can? its possible?

i dont see why they could not do this. i believe what is bad,is the digitizer,wich is directly under the glass in the display. a friend of mine recently cracked his digitizer,after dropping his phone,took it apart and fixed it,and it did not affect anything.

if you can find a shop in your area that does such repairs, they should be able to verify what is wrong,and the potential it would have for erasing the internal memory or internal sd during the repair.

ill keep wrapping my head around it,but im sorry we havent come up with any quicker or cheaper options. while i dont have any kids,i can certainly relate to you(and rachel)... if i had a device with pics and videos of my dog when she was a 4 week old squirmy puppy,id do whatever it took to get them off!

Upvote 0
looks like the zipped up sdk-tools.zip download contains an unzipped folder inside.

Thanks, Scotty!

I didn't remember that and I don't actually know if I did than on purpose or not :p.

You rock, sir!

BTW, I've thought about my little app issue some more and I'm even more convinced that its probably a "feature" that an app would have to run for the first time in order for Android to see the information (in the app's manifest) that it wants and expects to get a boot-completed intent (which drives the behavior of the app to be able to auto-start another app without touching it). If you think about it, installing an app does not launch it (unless you're using the Eclipse IDE, which I do which explains why I didn't see this issue), so it never get's registered as needing to run (or in this case, woken-up from a boot-completed notification).

Anyway, I'll stop babbling now and just cross my fingers that adb might help Lara.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Ugh guys sorry for not responding. I seem to be cursed when it comes to electronics. my computer died :) any way my fiance took my phone in to have the digitizer repaired. and it was in fact the digitizer. however if you guys need me to help you test anything let me knoiw!! I WANT TO THANK YOU BOTH VERY VERY MUCH FOR THE HELP AND TIME YOU SPENT WITH ME. I really do appreciate it. Lke i said if you need me to help test anything ill be more than happy to

Upvote 0
Ugh guys sorry for not responding. I seem to be cursed when it comes to electronics. my computer died :) any way my fiance took my phone in to have the digitizer repaired. and it was in fact the digitizer. however if you guys need me to help you test anything let me knoiw!! I WANT TO THANK YOU BOTH VERY VERY MUCH FOR THE HELP AND TIME YOU SPENT WITH ME. I really do appreciate it. Lke i said if you need me to help test anything ill be more than happy to

Good to hear, Lara! You're most welcome :).

By the way, think about enabling USB debugging...just in case...;) :).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Let me start off by saying that I'm in desperate help. I'm in the same situation as the OP and am unable to manipulate the OS via the touch screen or connect via USB to pull pictures off my EVO 4G LTE.

The twist is that I did not have WI-FI activated on my phone when the touch screen failed.

Is there a method or an app that'll automatically turn on my WIFI on my phone without any interaction on my part through the play store?

Upvote 0
Let me start off by saying that I'm in desperate help. I'm in the same situation as the OP and am unable to manipulate the OS via the touch screen or connect via USB to pull pictures off my EVO 4G LTE.

The twist is that I did not have WI-FI activated on my phone when the touch screen failed.

Is there a method or an app that'll automatically turn on my WIFI on my phone without any interaction on my part through the play store?

I'm afraid it doesn't sound hopeful, ANDROIDULTRA :(.

The two obvious windows / exploits for getting around a wonky touchscreen (USB debugging and having wi-fi enabled) seems to be off the table.

I've just tested WiFi File Explorer without wi-fi activated and it does not work in that mode (my AF Rescue app only seemed to be viable with older versions of Android anyway, so that wasn't a hopeful avenue anyway).

It might be that a digitizer replacement is your best bet and most straightforward bet (but I've never personally done one of those).

Welcome to the AndroidForums, by the way, and sorry it's under these circumstances.

Upvote 0
Hello, I got a One S with a cracked black non functional screen. Phone is still operational as it volumes up and down and restarts.

Phone was password protected and I am confident it got usb debugging and wifi enabled.

When connected to a PC Sync Manager tries to establish connection, with little luck and it appears as an external drive with no disk inserted.

I assume I should try the adb method, but I have seen there is a full suite of apps, and then a mini suite, well, I am quite ignorant in the issue and any help will be appreciated.

Also, I would not mind installing the full suite for using with my phone in the future, when I manage to understand what it does :eek:

By the way, I was so silly to think that a factory reset would solve the communications issue not erains the internal SD Card because I believed the password protection was what was messing with the connection, and tried it first on my One X, erasing everything. I synced before trying, but it was one of those instances syncing does not work as it should and well I lost all data on the One X.

Now I hope I can recover the data on the One S anyway before sending it to repair.

I know it is not the topic, but using a deep scan on the sd card could recover some data after a factory reset?

Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0
Hey Xelai, sorry to hear about the busted screen :(. [and sorry to hear you wiped your One X, but glad to hear you had synced-it first; knowledge is often hard-won :)].

Having USB debugging and wi-fi enabled is a feather in your cap and should very much allow you to recover your SD card data on the One S.

Does the One S have a removable SD card? If so, you could easily remove it and mount it directly to your PC using an adapter (that would be the first, best solution).

I think you are talking about the "Mini-SDK" that I mentioned in this post:

http://androidforums.com/htc-one-x-xl/611035-managing-files-pc-when-touchscreen-not-working-2.html#post5101060

See if you can download and extract the sdk-tools.zip file to your PC, connect your phone to the PC via USB, and see if an "adb devices" command shows you your device's serial number.

If it does, it should be a simple matter of using the "adb pull /sdcard/" command to copy the entire phone's SD card's contents back to your PC.

I'm afraid I can't answer the question about the deep SD card scan...(that would be cool but is beyond my experience).

Failing that above, we can try the AF Rescue app or the newest version that I wrote, AF Rescue 2 which invokes the the MyPhoneExplorer Client app instead of the Wifi File Explorer app as previously described.

Let us know!

Reactions: Xelai
Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply! One S is basically a One X with smaller screen ( witha a blue tint ;) ), better battery and more responsive keyboard, exactly the same configuration and software otherwise.

Yep I got the mini sdk working, it connected and all sd card contents are now in my computer, thanks thanks thanks a lot!

I have been reading about adb and the sdk suite, with the mini sdk is sufficient for accessing the phone files right?

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply! One S is basically a One X with smaller screen ( witha a blue tint ;) ), better battery and more responsive keyboard, exactly the same configuration and software otherwise.

Yep I got the mini sdk working, it connected and all sd card contents are now in my computer, thanks thanks thanks a lot!

I have been reading about adb and the sdk suite, with the mini sdk is sufficient for accessing the phone files right?

Oh, you are most welcome, Xelai! Glad it helped you out :).

Yeah, it's just a very small subset of the Android SDK: it just got the adb executable and the library file (for Windows) that it needs to communicate with the adb counterpart on your Android device.

Let me know if need anything else! :)

-SA

Reactions: Xelai
Upvote 0
I Need help with the same issue but i can't/don't know how to find my ip address!!!

Hey there, Jen!

Did you happen to have USB debugging enabled? (that would be a much easier way to go...)

Otherwise, I'm guessing you're talking about my AF Rescue apps to try to get WiFi File Explorer installed?

Is your device a fairly new one and/or running Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) or JellyBean (4.1+)? If so, then I'm not sure my app will help you unless you had previously installed and manually launched it (I believe Google closed the exploit that allow the app to be auto-launched after a remote install).

Let me know about the above....thanks!

-SA

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones