• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Master resetting smartphones

dlee1001

Jun 2, 2011
What happens when you press and hold the sleep button and both volume buttons at the same time on any Android smartphone? On one of my other threads (specifically "Software Update for Infuse 4G"), a user had said that he did a master reset on the phone by pressing both the volume buttons and the sleep/lock button at the same time to try and correct a problem.

Not that I'm going to do it any time soon, but what happens when you press and hold those buttons?

I just watched a video where a person did the button presses and it had four options, one of which said "Restart system now."

Yes, that's the bootloader.

Is it possible to do this master reset button press while the phone is fully turned on?

Again, if the phone is on, you dont need to do the button combination. Just go to menu-settings-sd and phone storage-factory reset.

Upvote 0
Yes, that's the bootloader.

Again, if the phone is on, you dont need to do the button combination. Just go to menu-settings-sd and phone storage-factory reset.

At the moment it's uncertain whether the two thing accomplish the same thing or not. Some people say it is better to reset in the bootloader, while others say it's the same.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones