• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MILESTONE 2.1 update and root guide

Just surf from internet and recall my memory that we may need to flash again the 90.78 bootloader first, then follow the rest of the above steps.

Ahhhh. No, that didn't do it either. Thank you for the suggestion though ipd98. I'm pulling my hair out now (what little I have left).

Obviously I am doing something wrong here, but what is it ???? :mad:

Reactions: LinoAirosa
Upvote 0
I think it's time for you to try a different locale sbf. If you can't get that to work...then it's probably something you are doing wrong. I believe the Brazilian sbf should cover the frequency bands needed for the China Milestone.

Does anyone know of another site which hosts the SBF ffiles I'm on Telus and trying to root but the site listed in the OP of this thread doesn't seem to have the SBF files hosted at the moment. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
@gpw11: Not sure why you quoted me since I was replying to jaxxon...But you should be able to skip the flashing of the telus sbfs if you haven't done anything to your phone yet. So as long as you're running stock 2.1-update1, which can be done with an over the air update from 2.0, then you should start at the process of flashing the vulnerable recovery and continue from there.

Reactions: gpw11
Upvote 0
I tried another file, the Brazilian SBF one from this site (see link below) and it worked. I've got ROOT now, but it reverted back to v2.0.1. How do I bring it back to v2.1-update1 like I had before? I tried the Recovery file but that didn't work?

Click on my thumbnails below if you want.

Link: Root Telus Motorola Milestone on Android Platform Easily | Gadgets DNA

Attachments

• superuser_1.jpg
    superuser_1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 88
  • firmware_1.jpg
    firmware_1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 0
I didn't think the Brazilian SBF would work on the Chinese frequency bands. But as long as you were able to make a call, and you were able to get correct data speeds then you might as well use the Telus SBFs.

This means you might as well use the G.O.T. SBF. (http://groupoften.wordpress.com/). I think you should be able to go from your 2.1 SBF straight to the G.O.T. SBF.

Upvote 0
@jaxxon: You'll have to find a 2.0 SBF for Europe to clean slate your Milestone... then a 2.1 Europe SBF. After that you should flash a Europe G.O.T. SBF. I'll try to find you the files later. This should fix your force close problems.

Edit: Ah, finally the sbf website is back up. (sbf:milestone [And Developers]). I'm not sure where you are...China or Hong Kong? You might be getting a lot of force closes because the XT702 might have some software differences than the A853...(Maybe someone else can confirm this?)

For the time being you should try the two XT702 SBFs found on this website. If that does not work, you should try to flash one of the SBFs that has the correct frequency bands as your locale.

Let me know if you want me to walk you though this...but I have work tonight and tomorrow morning. GL

Upvote 0
Ok imust be doing something really daft. I have followed this tutorial from step * as the phone had allready updated to 2.1 previously and all works til i get to

13.Select from the menu using the D-PAD and choose apply sdcard:update.zip. If all is well it should start saying Rooting your phone..., once it is complete the command menu will re-appear. Simply choose reboot system now.

even though i do as started it errors wiith the following message.
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Any ideas on sorting this would be most appreciated.

even am getting the same error again and again! i have followed it step by step and nothing went wrong in the other steps.. i got the milstone A835 sbf from here sbf [And Developers]..

can someone please help meee!!

Upvote 0
I was very angry not being able to run any update.zip files because the new 2.1 service 1 update even running the vulnerable recovery without errors. Then i tried not to let the phone restart. So after vulnerable recovery has run i pushed the up button to get back to bootloader. I have got the pass in RSDlite then restarted by holding the camera and going into recovery and voisla!!! The update had no problem to run. Then checked the phone, rooted! restarted to check GOTRecovery or ADBRecovery again the same problem. Flashed with vulnerable recovery again and didnt let restart the phone the GOTREcovery and ADBRecovery working!!! SO DONT LET YOUR PHONE BOOT! Hope that helped. Cheers

Reactions: yashodhan92
Upvote 0
I was very angry not being able to run any update.zip files because the new 2.1 service 1 update even running the vulnerable recovery without errors. Then i tried not to let the phone restart. So after vulnerable recovery has run i pushed the up button to get back to bootloader. I have got the pass in RSDlite then restarted by holding the camera and going into recovery and voisla!!! The update had no problem to run. Then checked the phone, rooted! restarted to check GOTRecovery or ADBRecovery again the same problem. Flashed with vulnerable recovery again and didnt let restart the phone the GOTREcovery and ADBRecovery working!!! SO DONT LET YOUR PHONE BOOT! Hope that helped. Cheers

i dont understand!? see we first put the phone in bootloader then run RSDLite for the vul recov right? then it restarts the phone automatically and by the time i get PASS the phone has already booted!.. what to do can you please explain??:(

Dude i did what u said and it has worked!!! I DONNO HOW TO THANK U MATE THANKS A TON

Upvote 0
I am glad someone else could make it!

Maybe i was not clear enough.
1. Restart phone + push "UP" button on d-pad.
2. flash vulnerable recovery (VC) with rsdlite and look at the phone. When restarting push the "UP" button again! This way it gets back to bootloader.
3. Restart phone by pressing camera + power together and get into recovery

I used G.O.TRecovery (G.O.T.'s Blog) so i could root and format my sd card to use app2sd and intall app2sd from the boot menu. I bought a class10 Kingston 16GB card and it is fast as hell. Before formatting dont forget to back up your card and it is good to make a nandroid backup before rooting and save it to safe place because if newer updates come you have to get back to this point to get the updates OTA. I love this GOTRecovery (update.zip) because no need for adb anymore. THANKS G.O.T!

4. So you have GOT on your sd. Copy the update.zip and OpenRecovery dir to your sd cards root. Run update on sdcard.

5. Recovery menu appears and do things as your logic dictates.
Mine was:
6. Nandroid backup then root the phone
6.5 Restart phone.
7. Copy nandroid backup files to pc and backup my sd (dont have sdhc usb reader). and Titanium backup my installed apps
8. restart phone
8. Reflash again steps: 1.-3.
9. Format (split) SD card (http://groupoften.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/6_apps.png) If not already formatted.
10. Apply app2sd. If you had app2sd earlier boothack is enough i suppose.
11. restore files to sd card from pc.
If you loose your files then get back them from titanium backup.

Cheers, Lui

Upvote 0
ok cna u also tell me what does the split your SDCArd thing do? and is it compulsory to do that in order to install apps on the memcard?

Yes. The split is needed to make a linkux partition your sd card so android can reach it natively and this way can install apps on the sd card.
To have app2sd you need a splitted card, a rooted phone and install app2sd.

Upvote 0
hey guys its surprisingly hard to find a definite yes with clear instructions for canadian telus users. i have a few questions that I hope someone can answer and help me out.

Q1. as a CANADIAN telus user who is in service right now whats the best method. shoud i flash the 2.1 with-service canada telus sbf from that website and follow the procedure at the beginniing of this thread or ive been looking at this G.O.T.S blog thing

Q2. as my phone is already in service by flashing it will it still be activated?

Q3. will my phone format during this procedure mainly contacts i care about?

Q4. is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks guys for any insight

Reactions: mixpix
Upvote 0
@lolbug: You mentioned that you were "in service"...so I had to look that up... does it mean that your employer gave you the phone? Or do you mean your service state is "In Service"

I'm assuming you're talking about rooting your phone...
Q1)You could root your phone either way. If you plan to follow the method in this forum and you're already at 2.1-update1 then you can skip all the beginning steps and start at flashing the vulnerable recovery.

The G.O.T. SBF has some bug fixes over the stock 2.1-update1 from Telus.

Q2)I will update this when you define "in service"

Q3)Your contacts are saved in the google cloud. You'll have all your contacts back as long as you sign back in with the same google account. By flashing a non-service SBF I believe you lose your text messages, homescreen setup, call history, pirated apps(that's all I could think of), if you flash a different SBF. If you flash a service SBF, then you shouldn't lose this stuff...

Q4)If you have no reason to root...don't do it. Ask if you need more help.

Upvote 0
thanks for replying so fast what I meant by in service is I read people flashing non service and service sbf not sure the difference and im in a 3 year contract with telus so the phone is in constant use I just wanted to make sure that my service from telus will not be affected that's all.

whether its worth my while or not im just the type of person who wants to tinker and mod.:)

yes im at 2.1 telus right now so i could just flash vulnerable recovery then just use gots to backup and install root? and is it still partial root or full kernal now?

can the canadian milestone use custom roms?

I personally would like to OC the phone and like to get rid of that bulky motonav proggy as ill never use it and im sure other things will come along.

sorry if im bombarding you with questions.

Upvote 0
It's all good man, this is why I'm here.

If you've noticed any bugs with your Telus Milestone, then you might want to go with the G.O.T. SBF. If not, just follow the method in this forum.

Q1)Yes, flash the vulnerable recovery then you can use the G.O.T open recovery to root and backup.

Q2)The bootloader is still locked. We cannot really do full ROMs like other phones. But I guess you could say G.O.T., Telus fast and light, and Dexter's Motofrency are the closest we have to ROMs at the moment.

Q3)Same as above.

I've edited my previous post to reflect the difference between service and non-service SBFs.

Upvote 0
I didn't know anything about rooting, I just got my Motorola Milestone last 3 days and I was doing some reading. I tried the tutorial on the first page of this thread and it worked like a charm, haven't experienced any errors or whatsoever. I now have "Superuser Whitelist". Thanks for this guide craigcrawford1988.

SBF was Android 2.1 South East Asia (SHOLS_U2_02.36.0). I was using my windows 7 machine while doing this. I didn't have to install the usb drivers because I installed the "Motorola Media Link" earlier already and the latest drivers came with it. I followed instructions step by step and luckily I was able to do it..

I just have one question, I browsed for my desired SBF and clicked on START on the RSD Lite, I noticed that it generated some .hmg and .smg files on the same folder where I placed my SBF. Are these files important? Do I have to keep them? Thanks a lot, I'm very happy!!! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones