• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Motorola Bluetooth issues and Android 6.0.1

Doc Sound

Lurker
Apr 29, 2016
Hello everyone,

I have an S6 that I use a LOT in the car, so I need bluetooth. I swear by Motorola, had several H720's and wore them out, then bought an H730. Suddenly after the last Android update to 6.0.1, my H730 would disconnect in the middle of any 3rd party call (skype, Viber, etc) forcing me to removing headset, cycle it off and on, after which it would work ok till the next time. Assuming the H730 was defective, I bought a new Motorola Boom. Guess what? the Boom will work fine until you hang up. The next 3rd party call you get the phone answers with the handset, NOT the earpiece. basically the same issue.

I went to Verizon. They replaced the phone free of charge (3 months old). Guess what? Same issue.

I called Verizon support chat. After 2 hours, they told me to contact Samsung.

I called Samsung chat. After 1 1/2 hours of 'are you sure the headset is turned on?' questions, they said the headset was bad. I said the headset is new, as is the phone. They said 'I know nothing of this issue.' The headsets worked fine prior to the 6.0 update. "Thank you for calling Samsung. is there anything else I can do for you today?"

This morning I called Motorola. I had not even finished my first sentence when the young lady said 'yes we are aware that after Android updated their software some of our units are now incompatible.'

She offered to replace my Boom with the new Whisper, a much more expensive unit, for no charge. I am taking her up on the offer.

I have 2 issues here: First, the forums are filled with this issue and the hardware people are all playing dumb, except Motorola. My applause for them stepping up and handling this.

Second, Shame on Android for releasing code that we are forced to take, that literally takes us BACK in time with technology. I now have a perfectly good H730 that is more of an earring than a device I can use thanks to Android's update. Whom do I see about that refund? I have spent almost 2 days tracking this down, all the while driving while resetting my headset, a dangerous and distracting process.

Without the phones and accessories, the Android software is useless. Android knows they have the market cornered here regards to OS, they need to look at what is affected when they make a change. The ripple effects go on forever.

So for anyone who has read this far, Motorola is stepping up and helping with Bluetooth issues if yours is suddenly not working. Call 888-508-6052 for Moto Bluetooth support. But as a result of this 'update', Android has basically taken about 40% of Motorola's bluetooth accessories right off the market. That should be an interesting conversation.

Doug

Reactions: Clementine_3
I have similar issues and it is beyond annoying. I mostly listen to tunes in the car over BT (Flexsmart through the radio, my car is old!), but if I get a call or disconnect at all it's done. I can't restart Pandora, can't get or make a call, nothing! It shows as still connected but it just doesn't function, sometimes Pandora or PowerAmp just freeze, controls won't work at all. I am on 6.0 still and was hoping 6.0.1 would fix it, guess not. Terrible. ugh

Upvote 0
UPDATE on the Bluetooth issue.

After tearing my house apart and being unable to find my receipt for the Motorola Boom bluetooth I JUST bought, I went out and bought the Whisper outright, because I am a do not wait person.

GUESS WHAT? SAME ISSUE!!!!!! Does anyone from Android Tech actually READ these posts? you have a serious issue here that is affecting more and more people as you roll it out. So NOW I have just spent $150.00 to fix a problem that YOU created Where do I send my receipts for reimbursement?

Upvote 0
I have no idea... you do realize we're an enthusiast group of Android phone fans, and NOT the forum of the official Google Android team don't you........

Of course I do. I also know how things work. I am in the car business. if I want to read about the latest recall coming out, I read the forums, as stuff shows up there long before anyone officially admits it from the manufacturer. Android sets people to watch these forums, sort of an unofficial tech hotline, to get the consumer-level buzz on issues. Then they feed it up to tech support who begins to enact changes. and this is such a serious, far-reaching issue that so many people are having that someone has to know something about.

I too am an Android enthusiast, but I confess to being less-than-enthused about an issue everyone is mum about, except the one entity that it has affected...Motorola. It is sad.

FYI on the OFFICIAL forum, this topic does not even exist. I'm not enthused about that either. But I am frustrated. and broke.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones