• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help move from a device to another device,help

Gaia

Jun 22, 2015
Hi
i would move from my samsung s3 to a new huawei
is there a program for windows that let me backup my samsungs s3 contacts, application data (photos,multimedia,video) ,photos ,video ,in short all what i have on my mobile to anothr device like a new huawei

i know only this program Apowersoft Phone Manager
can do it ?
is there a better program or what do you advises me?

thanks

Enable 'Backup my data' and 'Automatic restore' in:
Settings > Backup and restore.
Check the Sync settings in:
Settings > Accounts > Google > Select your account > Enable desired items to sync
This backs up to your Google account and automatically restores Google contacts, Keep notes, Calendar, home screens, WiFi passwords and some other settings, if selected and enabled.

SMS/MMS are not included in the above but can be backed up with a dedicated SMS backup app lke SMS Backup & Restore or with general backup apps like MyBackup Pro or Helium, which can backup much more than just texts.

Some apps like AquaMail, Nova Launcher, X-plore, FolderSync and VoiceChoice have a backup function that will generate backup configuration files. Manually copy those for quick restoration. Manually copy photos, music, documents etc to a computer or cloud storage for transfer.

Last edited:
Reactions: lunatic59 and Gaia
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reactions: Gaia
Upvote 0
hi
seems that Wondershare MobileGo http://mobilego.wondershare.com/guide/android-backup-and-restore.html could do it

or MobileTrans or DrPhone
don't know if it's free
From what I've seen, Wondershare's products are almost certainly a scam. We've seen a lot of would-be spammers trying to push their apps here, but not a single user reporting in to say that it worked as expected.

Helium, as recommended by @Crashdamage, is my go-to backup/restore application. Its free version works fine; the pro version just unlocks cloud-based backup and batch restores.

Hope this helps. :)

Upvote 0
From what I've seen, Wondershare's products are almost certainly a scam. We've seen a lot of would-be spammers trying to push their apps here, but not a single user reporting in to say that it worked as expected.

Helium, as recommended by @Crashdamage, is my go-to backup/restore application. Its free version works fine; the pro version just unlocks cloud-based backup and batch restores.

Hope this helps. :)
Hi Codesplice
thanks because i was thinking to buy one of them , there are so many programs outside

i will go with helium and i guess the free version should fit

thanks

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
in short to backup cantacts fofos and files message , i need samsung switch for samsung movile
No. Go back and read my reply post #2.
Contacts are transferred by your Google account, as long as you saved them to Google.
SMS/MMS must be transferred by Helium, MyBackup, or an app for texts only like SMS Backup &restore.
Photos, videos, documents etc should copied manually, transferred with a computer and USB cable, by cloud storage or other method.

for another devices , it's a problem ,isn't ?
but for example iphone has an utility to migrate from android to ios
That's why I've given generic instructions how to do this, so that you're not tied to software by a particular manufacturer. So that you can use your backups to transfer to any make or model of phone.

Android Backup & Restore in Marshmallow 6.0 is more advanced and will simplify changing devices. But app developers have to enable it for it to work. Some already have. Given a little time for apps to catch up, Android Backup & Restore will work like backup in iOS.

Reactions: codesplice and Gaia
Upvote 0
No. Go back and read my reply post #2.
Contacts are transferred by your Google account, as long as you saved them to Google.
SMS/MMS must be transferred by Helium, MyBackup, or an app for texts only like SMS Backup &restore.
Photos, videos, documents etc should copied manually, transferred with a computer and USB cable, by cloud storage or other method.

That's why I've given generic instructions how to do this, so that you're not tied to software by a particular manufacturer. So that you can use your backups to transfer to any make or model of phone.

Android Backup & Restore in Marshmallow 6.0 is more advanced and will simplify changing devices. But app developers have to enable it for it to work. Some already have. Given a little time for apps to catch up, Android Backup & Restore will work like backup in iOS.
hi Crashdamage
yes i have read your tutorial ,and it's a great great tutorial
just looking for a very simple solution but seems there are not simple solution ,like click & restore :(
thanks a lot

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Enable 'Backup my data' and 'Automatic restore' in:
Settings > Backup and restore.
Check the Sync settings in:
Settings > Accounts > Google > Select your account > Enable desired items to sync
This backs up to your Google account and automatically restores Google contacts, Keep notes, Calendar, home screens, WiFi passwords and some other settings, if selected and enabled.

SMS/MMS are not included in the above but can be backed up with a dedicated SMS backup app lke SMS Backup & Restore or with general backup apps like MyBackup Pro or Helium, which can backup much more than just texts.

Some apps like AquaMail, Nova Launcher, X-plore, FolderSync and VoiceChoice have a backup function that will generate backup configuration files. Manually copy those for quick restoration. Manually copy photos, music, documents etc to a computer or cloud storage for transfer.
Hi CrashDamage
first i want to thank you again , your advises are superb i was able to move to ather device without a problem ;)

may i ask you a question ?
how can i sync /merge my phone contacts or sim contacts with google on a Huawei p8 ?

thansk!

Upvote 0
I can't give you instructions specifically for a Huawei P8. But these generic instructions should get you going.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4466923

The option to save contacts to SIM cards is disappearing and no doubt will be gone completely in a year or two. Unlike other contacts options, SIM contacts can have names and numbers only - no email addresses, physical addresses, photos, birthdays, notes - none of the extra information most people like to be able to add. SIM contacts is old, outdated technology that should not be considered a viable option.

Reactions: codesplice and Gaia
Upvote 0
I can't give you instructions specifically for a Huawei P8. But these generic instructions should get you going.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4466923

The option to save contacts to SIM cards is disappearing and no doubt will be gone completely in a year or two. Unlike other contacts options, SIM contacts can have names and numbers only - no email addresses, physical addresses, photos, birthdays, notes - none of the extra information most people like to be able to add. SIM contacts is old, outdated technology that should not be considered a viable option.
Hi Crashdamage , i will try it!!!
thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones