• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

my 10th phone is in the mail

I can sympathize. I went out day one and replaced my alias with a storm1 on release day. 19 storms later i ended up in an eris. Eris was an awesome phone until eclair. After eclair it shut the phone down. I wasn't real comfortable rooting/roming it due to the ammt of issues i'd had otherwise i'd still have it. My wifes eris is sick with evileris4.0 on it.

I ended up with a droid 2 and zero problems with it.

ONLY complaint about the d2 is the unlock slider lagging heh. Ill live with it :p.

Enjoy the d2. Awesome phone.

Upvote 0
I sent a 'Thanks' to DERIS12 for the first post. The title induced me to read the thread to the end.

I'm a new Droid 2 owner (2010-11-03) and I've had a few app issues (Lattitude seems to know where I am but not my g/f - she has flip-side prob on her Sprint)

and now it's shutting down unexpectedly sometimes several times in a row so I was worried that perhaps it was a design issue but the more I read the more I am assured that the D2 is a solid phone and that my probs are unique and likely from one or more of the apps I've loaded. I'll be addressing my issues elsewhere.

Upvote 0
I honestly can't believe you all went through that many phones. Not that you're lying, just...wouldn't verizon lose money spending the extra time sending you all broken phones?! Their quality control must be nonexistant! I'm picturing them receiving a broken phone, packaging it up and just shipping it to someone else as a refurb. This is crazy. For what you all went through, I totally sympathize. Especially deris. I'm shocked he even stayed with verizon after getting such crap service

Upvote 0
Verizon doesn't send out replacement phones, they've outsourced that to Asurion. Ever since Asurion took that task over, all of our replacement phones have been C-R-A-P. Even when we specifically ask for a brand new one they still send refurbished half the time.

My husband has a bad phone record, the first break is always his fault (dropped in water, ran over with car << yes, he has accidentally run over his phone :rolleyes: ) . After that, he has to keep sending back phones that arrive defective....until we just give up and re-start the contract and buy him a working phone. At least this time I got a new phone out of it too, gotta love BOGO :D

PS I doubt they're losing out on that much money, what with a $50 deductible every time they send you a hunk of junk....then the $$$ they get when you give up; buying a new phone and renewing your contract.

Upvote 0
yeah, because I'm sure that Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota will send you a new vehicle everytime your old one breaks down.

The business model has been established... if you want a new phone, buy a new phone.

you seem to think that you should be the exception, that if they just do it for you, they won't notice the losses. Probably not, but believe it or not, you aren't the only one with a phone problem, and if they have to give it to you, and the other countless thousands just like you, then they can't just not notice someone's yearly salary.

but as long as you are happy, huh

Upvote 0
Well that's what the insurance is for....you pay a monthly fee and detuctible in order to receive a replacement phone, in the event that your phone takes a sh*t. The problem comes in when they send you a refurbished replacement that does not work straight from the box, then they expect you to pay another deductible to replace the non-working replacement. That is why we request a new phone, because we have never received a properly functioning refurbished phone. We'll gladly pay for WORKING replacements, whether refurbished or new.

Upvote 0
I have my 7th replacement coming tomorrow. I went through 5 Droid 1s with keyboard sliding issues, charging problems, or reboot problems. They sent me a Droid 2 which had it's display die yesterday. The worst part is that Tech Support doesn't seem to care. They don't care about the time we spend setting up replacement phones, driving to the Verizon store, or the fact that we can't use the service we pay for.

Upvote 0
I have an emergency, backup phone, (lg scoop) The phone I had before my droid. I had one issue that was taken care of but I had to use my Scoop temporarily. Beats not having a phone.

I keep an old env2 (yes with a broke OK button) in the drawer just in case...

As for the thread starter, Im not sure if it was the Eris or what, but I have never had that bad of luck with devices... I had the Devour that they quickly swapped for a Ally once and a D1 with a distorted mic that i bought used so I was stuck.... Other than that, most other issues were my fault.. heh

Upvote 0
yeah im the same way. i've had tons of problems with phones... HTC is a two sided coin.. on one side they have excellet build quality in phones..the other side is they have the absolute worst quality control when it comes to dust under the screen.

Ive had a DX and now a Droid 2 Global. Motorola has great build qualit. i'd just like to see them clean up their quote unquote ''not motoblur'' motoblur skin a tad bit, but its still great.

I, when i was with T-mo up until recently, had to go exchange my G2 out 4 times...gave up decided to go for the Mytouch4g (it had came out during the time of my exchanges) i exchanged 6 of them. gave up. went to verizon and havent looked back.

Upvote 0
yeah im the same way. i've had tons of problems with phones... HTC is a two sided coin.. on one side they have excellet build quality in phones..the other side is they have the absolute worst quality control when it comes to dust under the screen.

Ive had a DX and now a Droid 2 Global. Motorola has great build qualit. i'd just like to see them clean up their quote unquote ''not motoblur'' motoblur skin a tad bit, but its still great.

I, when i was with T-mo up until recently, had to go exchange my G2 out 4 times...gave up decided to go for the Mytouch4g (it had came out during the time of my exchanges) i exchanged 6 of them. gave up. went to verizon and havent looked back.

I'd have to disagree about Motorola's build quality, or at least their quality control of refurbs. I went through maybe 7 Droid 1's, they sent two Droid 2's, now they are working on switching me to an incredible. I'm done with Motorola. I liked the droids when they worked but having to deal with replacement after replacement just got annoying. I know a lot of people with incredibles and none of them have problems, so we'll see where that goes. At least it wont have a keyboard slider to arrive broken...that increases my chances of getting a working phone significantly.

Upvote 0
I'd have to disagree about Motorola's build quality, or at least their quality control of refurbs. I went through maybe 7 Droid 1's, they sent two Droid 2's, now they are working on switching me to an incredible. I'm done with Motorola. I liked the droids when they worked but having to deal with replacement after replacement just got annoying. I know a lot of people with incredibles and none of them have problems, so we'll see where that goes. At least it wont have a keyboard slider to arrive broken...that increases my chances of getting a working phone significantly.

htc's quality of refurb is just as broken, dont fool yourself. I exchanged out 4 HTC tmobile g2's and 5 mytouch 4g's before i said F U to tmobile. these were NEW phones too. dead pixels, dust under screen, randomshut downs, forced battery pulls. If anything HTC quality control of their new units is just as bad as refurbs. oh and the incredible is a piece of sh*t. slow processor, very slow and bad gpu, and the 1ghz processor in it is weak as hell. i hope you have better luck on the otherside of the fence on this one.

Upvote 0
I feel your pain as well. My 4th Droid 2 is in the mail.
1st: Bought "certified pre-owned" (Big mistake, I know NOW) Worked fine for about 2 weeks and then wouldn't turn on again. Well it would, but there would a bunch of white lines through the screen and I couldn't do anything.
2nd: Froze and rebooted every few minutes UNLESS plugged in to the charger. Strange, I know.
3rd: Freezes and gets a black screen which takes about 30 seconds to get out of. Does this several times a day. Reboots maybe once or twice due to this..
4th: In the mail, but I'm sure something will be wrong with it as well. If this one goes bad, I am going to call the Motorola number that tech support guy gave me and tell them what is going on and HOPEFULLY get something done about this. Idk if that will be a new phone (doubtful) or just the promise for one after the thousandth return. On the bright side, it is insured for one year by Motorola so I will just keep sending them back if it comes to that.

Upvote 0
it still amazes me that people think that bad phones are the carriers fault. when i was with att, i went through 3 lg vu's and 2 bb pearls in less than a year, and when i switched to vzw i went through 4 lg env3's. once i got my droid, it was replaced within the first 30 days because the battery lasted 3 hours. they replaced with a droid 2 right off the bat and i havent looked back since. that was back in july and i havent had a single problem until last night, when it went swimming... lol.

but the point is, its not verizon. its ALL carriers. they would rather send a new phone than troubleshoot it and get it fixed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones