• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New Maps 4.3 "update unsuccessful" BB .2.1

So I went into "manage applications". Maps isn't even listed in there. So I went into root explorer and found it under system, app, and found the APK. I deleted it so that I don't have maps on the phone anymore. I still can't install the new Maps 4.3. So now not only do I not have 4.3, I no longer have ANY map version.

Any other suggestions? I backed up before doing this, so I can get it back.

Upvote 0
So I went into "manage applications". Maps isn't even listed in there. So I went into root explorer and found it under system, app, and found the APK. I deleted it so that I don't have maps on the phone anymore. I still can't install the new Maps 4.3. So now not only do I not have 4.3, I no longer have ANY map version.

Any other suggestions? I backed up before doing this, so I can get it back.

Try putting the .apk back in /system/app/ and then setting permissions to rw-r--r-- then reboot the phone.

Upvote 0
getting the same issue here on JRummy's Kangerade... I seems to be an issue with Froyo and updating the Maps App... you could try the instructions that people were posting when the Froyo ROMs first came out.

It involved moving the Maps.apk from the /system/apps folder to the sd card (make sure the Maps.apk is no longer in the /system/apps folder as this was causing issues for some)... Then reboot, and install the Maps.apk from your SD card... Go into Menu/Settings/Manage Apps/All Apps and clear data and cache then uninstall Maps, you should be able to DL it now from the market...

Upvote 0
Followed the instructions exactly, but it still didn't work for me. I moved the apk to my sd card, deleted the apk from system/apps folder and rebooted. Installed apk from sd card. Went into manage applications, all and uninstalled maps. Went back to the market and got the same "install unsuccessful".

I thought we had it there.

Upvote 0
I was having a maps issue also. I downloaded johnlgalt's maps.zip from post #7 in this thread, unzipped and copied Maps.apk to the sdcard. Then I used these commands in Terminal Emulator:

su
sysrw
mv /system/app/Maps.apk /system/app/Maps.apk.bak
busybox cp /sdcard/Maps.apk /system/app/
sync
reboot

Make sure you capitalize Maps, it matters. After the reboot, I went to the market and chose downloads and the 4.3 update for Maps was there. It installed just fine. My only problem with the new Maps 4.3 is that after every reboot or shutdown, it is like I'm going into maps for the first time and I have to choose the location button from Labs again. Anyone else experience this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones