• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NEW! MetroPCS rate plans for 2013. thoughts??

New plans go in to effect on January 10th

40$,50 and 60 plans only. No other plans available from what I saw in training.

4G plans 40-500mb
50-2.5GB
60-unlimited

3G phones(Android and dumb phones) 50$ plan only

Blackberry $60 plan

all include:

Unlimited talk
Unlimited text
Unlimited 3G
Voicemail
Caller ID
Call Waiting
3 Way
Premium Directory Assistance
Short Codes and Alerts

Value add on 5$:

International text
Unlimited directory assistance
30 Minutes of travel talk
Call forwarding
Screen-it
Visual Voicemail
Voice to text

International and Mexico only on 50$ 60 plans - 10$ ILD, 5$ MLD

Hotspots on 40$ and 50$ plans only 10$ a month (metered)

5$ 500mb top up

Reactions: twogbsd and Sepero
Upvote 0
They lowered the cost of their non-promotional no throttle plan by $10 while getting rid of 2 features no one used anyway.

If they hold true to what they say and only throttle to 1-3Mbps then I don't see much of a change. That's 5 times faster than what others throttle to. Hell going off the speeds I was getting, they could throttle me and nothing would have changed. Haha. I'm also not surprised in the huge customer loss recently. Metro is going to have to refarm their entire game plan or that # will keep getting bigger. There's WAY too many other choices for people that offer better prices and better options. Hell if they would produce real world LTE speeds like Verizon then they would be more attractive as a cheaper LTE option. Of course these changes will be good for the current customers that refuse to leave cause they will be getting more for their money. That's my prediction at least. Hopefully they can get their cards straight and continue to be a large pre paid provider. The more pre paid options the better, that's how I look at it. ;)

Upvote 0
metro just wasnt very good last year. they had a great price for their plans but didnt have the phones or the speed. their top phones(esteem, connect, lightray) were(and still are apparently) grossly overpriced.

now they have phones like the motion, avid, GS3, and the upcoming spirit that are high performance phones that are well priced(obviously the GS3 is a bit pricier). the ZTE anthem which is the same phone as the esteem is almost $200 cheaper. a $60 buffet plan is still the cheapest offer in the industry for unlimited all and the speeds are picking up and will get even better once the merger hits. those getting throttled on metro's buffet plans are those using copious amounts of data( 100GB?) usually streaming netflix or tethering.

as far as verizon and their speeds, as i've said many times before, you're gonna pay up your rear end and around the corner for that speed and you're not gonna get as much to use unless you wanna pay even more. when you only get 2GB a month to use the only things you're gonna do with such a data allowance is social media, web surfing, video/audio streaming, and gaming. you can do these things without a hitch on a solid 5-6mbps connection so the real difference is speedtest.net bragging rights.

this is why i think metro should focus more on consistency of speed before top speed. people should be able to get that 5-7mbps everywhere they go within metro's home coverage area.

BTW, did anybody else hear about our GS3 getting jellybean sometime next month?

Reactions: twogbsd
Upvote 0
Okay quick question. I have the old $50 unlimited 4g with 2.5 gb of streaming on two of my lines. When I checked my account online last night it no longer says 2.5 gb of streaming , instead it says 1 gb. Anyone know what happened? I've tried contacting metro on Facebook & Twitter & no response yet. When I asked the rep over the phone she didn't have a clue why.

Upvote 0
If they hold true to what they say and only throttle to 1-3Mbps then I don't see much of a change.
I've seen these speeds mentioned in an online article, and this is not true for me at all.

Obviously I can't vouch for all areas, but I'm in central Florida, in a high coverage LTE area, according to the coverage map. I've tested my speeds in different locations in my town while standing outside (no building interference). My download speeds are unthrottled (max speeds) 1-3megabits/sec, and throttled about 0.05-0.5megabits/sec.

Upload speeds are generally about 1.5xdownload speed.

Upvote 0
I've seen these speeds mentioned in an online article, and this is not true for me at all.

Obviously I can't vouch for all areas, but I'm in central Florida, in a high coverage LTE area, according to the coverage map. I've tested my speeds in different locations in my town while standing outside (no building interference). My download speeds are unthrottled (max speeds) 1-3megabits/sec, and throttled about 0.05-0.5megabits/sec.

Upload speeds are generally about 1.5xdownload speed.

Ugh that sucks. Those were the exacts speeds I was getting which was the main reason why I threw in the towel. Hopefully it will get better for you within due time. :thinking:

Reactions: Sepero
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones