• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to rooting, could use some help

Eaglerulez

Jan 3, 2011
Hello, I am brand new to this forum and found it last night after google searching ways to diminish my HTC Hero's horrible lag when using it.

While a lot of the fixes for a stock hero did help such as clearing cache files from applications, installing the spareparts app to help speed up the transitions between screens, and also deleting text message treads, I still want a little more speed and performance from my phone so I have decided to root it.

Now, I have read a lot of the guides about rooting, and while I sort of understand it, it is all very overwhelming to me. I am fairly tech savy when it comes to computers (I've built my own, and have overclocked it) but I think the source of my confusion stems from the fact that I really don't use my phone for much more than phone calls, text messaging, and some very light gaming. As a result, I really haven't explored the capabilities of my phone too much and am not too familiar with all of the menus and the like so I will need some fairly detailed steps on how to do things when it comes to rooting.

I was wondering if someone could direct me to a fairly straight forward and easy way to root my phone, or could at least walk me through the steps of rooting my phone. In terms of ROMs I'm looking for something that is stable, quick, and reliable. I don't need it to do too much, but I would love to write text messages without any kind of keyboard lag, and I also would love the capability to overclock my phone a bit. If someone could suggest me a ROM that fits this criteria, I would greatly appreciate it.

In advance, I would just like to thank everyone for all of the help. I've read quite a few threads on this forum and it seems like you guys are all really helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to answering people's questions about rooting phones. I think it's really cool to see such a dedicated, friendly, and helpful community like this on the web.

Thanks once again for all of the help, and I look forward to rooting my phone.

I've moved your thread to the Sprint Hero section for you.

Make sure to avoid anything for GSM/European HTC Heroes and stick to CDMA/Sprint HTC Heroes when it comes to rooting; they are different phones and so flashing stuff designed for GSM phones risks bricking your Hero.

Thanks, for the help.

I rooted my CDMA Hero using Z4Root. I downloaded ROM manager, and I think I made a successful backup. When I go to manage and restore backups I have a file with the current date that was generated thanks for ROM manager, and I put that file on my PC. Am I okay to start downloading ROMs and flashing since I have a backup?

Upvote 0
Thanks, for the help.

I rooted my CDMA Hero using Z4Root. I downloaded ROM manager, and I think I made a successful backup. When I go to manage and restore backups I have a file with the current date that was generated thanks for ROM manager, and I put that file on my PC. Am I okay to start downloading ROMs and flashing since I have a backup?

YUP - I would keep a copy on your SD Card as well though.

Reactions: Eaglerulez
Upvote 0
I was going to tell you to download from the market but you don't have Gapp installed, Turn phone off, then hold the volume down button and the end key at the same time for a few seconds, then it will boot into recovery, then hit the home key once prompted to get into recovery, then install zip from SD card

Thanks, how do I flash from recovery though? I don't see ROM manager in my apps list.

Upvote 0
A few more options, but I myself prefer AOSP 9.9.2, wait until a stable GB comes out, did you download Launcher Pro, you will love that launcher, once you have the phone set up the way you like it and you have all your apps install make a Nandroid backup, then you can flash CM6 to see

Sweet, thanks this phone is so much faster and it works perfectly now. How is CM6 in comparison to ASOP?

Upvote 0
I rebooted my phone and it seems like launcher pro is working. It has definitely smoothed out my display and everything, but the only problem is that I don't see it under my apps list. Is this normal?

The only reason why I ask is because I was hoping I could customize a few things.

BTW I am using the free version.

Upvote 0
Free version is fine, when you go into the market and click on my apps do you see it there

I rebooted my phone and it seems like launcher pro is working. It has definitely smoothed out my display and everything, but the only problem is that I don't see it under my apps list. Is this normal?

The only reason why I ask is because I was hoping I could customize a few things.

BTW I am using the free version.

Upvote 0
That is weird, try uninstalling it, and install it again. as for Vmail, I don't use Sprints Vmail, I use Youmail it is free and does not cost anything to listen to vmails from your phone as you listen to them from your email or the app from the market, and you can also use GoogleVoice

Yeah, it's in "my apps" at the store. I just can't find it in the apps list on my phone.

Upvote 0
Do you listen to your Vmails from the GV app or from your email or text?? The reason why I like Youmail as it allows you to customize a Vmail for each contact , if you want to or you can use a Generic recored message for the ones that don't have there own custom message, I especially love it hen you keep getting a cal from a telemarketer and you can leave them a custom message saying the number they called had been disconnected, lol

I am a google voice convert....works Great!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones