• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Well this doesn't matter to anybody who is rooted but i did manage to find it and install it on my Dinc without root so if you want to try it out

Gingerbread System dump DEVS HELP! - Page 7 - xda-developers

Unzip it on your cpu go into the system folder then app and bam the apk is right there

I tried this d/l on my unrooted Incredible, and it looks like it installed the original sense android keyboard. Its not dark-shaded like the gingerbread keyboard and has different layout. I followed the steps directly from the phone..

Upvote 0
I noticed a lot of lag in the browser. No lag anywhere else, im wondering if it has to do with updates to the stock browser in gingerbread that we do not have because everywhere but online the thing flys. Try to type a response in a text box online and you will be waiting days for it to appear. No text prediction with this lag online either.
yeah, i noticed the same thing. the text box also glitches in the browser. instead of showing a nicely formatted text box above the keyboard, the text box remains in it's place on the page and is hard to see what's going on.

Upvote 0
It's a fantastic keyboard very fast and multi-touch works just like the Droid2 port which is excellent. There are some really cool features I'm liking with the GB keyboard like long pressing the smilie/enter key during a text msg....you just tap and hold then drag your finger to the smilie you want and let go pretty cool. Also saving a word in the dictionary is nice...it asks you to tap it once more in the predictive text box just to make sure so you don't have all those unwanted entries over time. Nice! Highly recommend it ;)

Upvote 0
I need some help if anyone is willing to give it. I have tasker and when I download the file straight to my phone is says tasker can't open the file whenever I try to open it. So I downloaded it to my computer but I don't know what to do after I DL to my computer. I tried to put the apk file on the memory card but could not find it when I looked through the phone ( I don't even know really where to put it in the memory card so i could find it). Can anyone tell me how to either get bypass tasker or how to install it from my computer. I really want this keyboard. Thanks in advance for any help.

Upvote 0
I need some help if anyone is willing to give it. I have tasker and when I download the file straight to my phone is says tasker can't open the file whenever I try to open it. So I downloaded it to my computer but I don't know what to do after I DL to my computer. I tried to put the apk file on the memory card but could not find it when I looked through the phone ( I don't even know really where to put it in the memory card so i could find it). Can anyone tell me how to either get bypass tasker or how to install it from my computer. I really want this keyboard. Thanks in advance for any help.
Download to your computer, get the apk out of the system folder once you unzip it, place it any folder you want your sd card. I put mine in the download folder. Get astro from the market. And install using that. Once installed goto settings language keyboards, and enable it. Then when you are in your messaging app, long press the typing box, goto input method, then enable it there. You should be good to go

Reactions: Citic07
Upvote 0
Got this installed, and I've got to say, this is one of the best keyboards ever! Predictive text is damn spot on, and I really fancy the special characters on the top, kinda like 8pen. I thought that it would take less vertical space than stock keyboard but I'm not sure, probably because of the suggested words bar right above the keyboard. Like others posted there is lag when typing in browser (Dolphin), but anywhere else it has been pretty quick and accurate! Like the black theme, better than stock or Swype. What's kinda weird is the suggestions bar. If the cursor is on a word and you select a new suggestion, rather than replace that word, it just appends it. Hopefully, when its out for everyone else they will fix that. Now I'm wondering if I should wait for 2.3 or root now, as this is a great insight to what's to come. Thanks all for the links and help.

Upvote 0
Download to your computer, get the apk out of the system folder once you unzip it, place it any folder you want your sd card. I put mine in the download folder. Get astro from the market. And install using that. Once installed goto settings language keyboards, and enable it. Then when you are in your messaging app, long press the typing box, goto input method, then enable it there. You should be good to go

Awesome thanks for the help! :)

Upvote 0
I kind of have mixed feelings about this keyboard... I love its functionality but IMHO it's ugly compared to the our stock HTC keyboard, a little too iPhoneish. But past the aesthetics it's not too bad

Also as previously mentioned when browsing it reminds me of my Eris' keyboard, laggy LOL

Upvote 0
Well here's what I think about the Gingerbread Keyboard from about 2 days of usage.

THE GOOD: Its fast, the auto correct and prediction is great, it looks really good with its slick black display and clean letters, I haven't accidentally pushed the mic button instead of the comma yet. Overall, I like it better than the stock keyboard.

THE BAD: It looks a bit small, but it still seems to know what I'm trying to push and I haven't made many mistakes at all. I love the fact that symbols like question marks and quotations are now in their own bar above the letters but...I really don't like how the suggested words cover them up when typing! That means that if you want to put a comma after a word, you have to push it to select the word first, then the bar will display letting you choose the comma. I'd rather be able to hit the comma directly after typing the word and not have to select the word first. Also, I seem to have lost the smileys button.

EDIT* I just found that even if you push space (which auto selects the word) then hit comma/question mark it will automatically move it to the end of the word and not leave an empty space. So I guess that kind of fixes my above complaint. You can also move the mic button to the symbols page which replaces it with a comma.

In case anyone wants to know where to get it, I got it from droid life, they had a link to download an apk. file which will just install when you click it in a file manager on your phone. It works on all phones, rooted or not. here's the link:Download: Gingerbread Keyboard for ALL Devices - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog it's cool for me to do this right?

Upvote 0
Hands down best keyboard I've used to date. I'm surprised this isn't getting more exposure.

I had some trouble figuring out how to install this (on my non-rooted Inc) so, here is a quick check list:

1) Download the zip file to your computer from here (update-Gingerbread-Keyboard.zip) -- this is straight off of the xda thread posted here.

2) Unzip, go to "app" folder, and find the file called "signedkey.apk." Email it to yourself.

3) Go to the marketplace on your phone and download ES File Explorer.

4) Download the .apk file from the email you sent yourself and save it to your SD Card

5) Open ES File Explorer and find the file (likely in "downloads" folder) and install it.

6) To set it: Settings > language & keyboard > check the box for "android keyboard"

7) In any text entry field, long press the text entry area and it will let you change input settings.

*** Others are saying you can unzip and install straight from phone, without unzipping on computer. But I had trouble with that. My method takes a couple more steps, but should work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones