• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help no wifi at home.

hello,
I just bought a acer a500 tab.
I can connect at mcdonalds.
However when I try it at home using my linksys wrt610n it wont connect.
My wifi shows up but wont connect. I am using the correct password and I even tried it open unsecured still wont connect.
I tried reset button several times even when it was connecting.
It has been suggested to change bands but dont know how to do that on the wrt610n router. I have not put anything on the new acer a500 tab yet so should I try to do a factory reset?
I would appreciate any help please..
thankyou, Dan

Hi Dan,

Sometimes devices have difficulty connecting to Wi-Fi networks if the network name has any symbols in the SSID (network name)

For example: Dan's Super Awesome Network

You could try changing it to: dansnetwork

No spaces or ' or anything. Give that a try

Thankyou for your reply however my network name is linksys so it doesnt have any symbols. thanks again anyone have anymore suggestions I really would love to use this at home. thanks,.

Upvote 0
I am trying to connect to either one but mostly the 2.5 yes dhcp is enabled.
I am now wondering if my acer a500 tab is compatible with the linksys wrt 610n?
I dont know the acer a500 is still at honeycomb 3.0 has not been updated because I cannot connect to update it do you think if it is updated to 3.2 maybe it will work then>? any help please will be appreciated. thanks,

Upvote 0
I see your router is dual band, are you trying to connect to the 5ghz network or the 2.4ghz network? a500 only supports 2.4ghz.

I'm with Al2fast here, A500 only supports 2.4GHz.

As for compatibility, the A500 and the linksys router comply with international standard IEE802.11 for wi-fi so they must be compatible (on 2.4GHz channel).

There were some issues with wi-fi in HC3.0, so if you can access wifi somewhere and update it would be worth doing. Same for the factory rest - it can't hurt since you haven't loaded much on yet.

Upvote 0
I'm with Al2fast here, A500 only supports 2.4GHz.

As for compatibility, the A500 and the linksys router comply with international standard IEE802.11 for wi-fi so they must be compatible (on 2.4GHz channel).

There were some issues with wi-fi in HC3.0, so if you can access wifi somewhere and update it would be worth doing. Same for the factory rest - it can't hurt since you haven't loaded much on yet.
If I take it to a place where I can get wifi to update it from hc3.0 will it update to hc 3.1 or hc 3.2? I understand that people also had a problem with wifi when they went to hc 3.1 . Also how long does the update take can I do it while at mcdonalds? lol
thanks.

Upvote 0
And people have problems with wifi in HC3.2 and people will have problems in ICS as well. If you look at the number of threads and views, wifi is the biggest issue, but I don't think it is just a problem with the a500.
Really I don't think the update is going to make a big difference to your situation, but like the factory reset, if it is easy to do, it can't hurt. How long will it take at McDonald's? Depends. If there are 100 people in there sharing the wifi it's going to take a while. But 15 minutes on home ADSL.

I suspect the problem is most likely in your router setup. You haven't enabled MAC filtering have you?

I've got 2 tabs and never have wifi problems. Whether that's because my network is on band 6 or I'm just lucky I don't know.

Upvote 0
Can you connect any computers or devices to your router at home? Maybe that is the device you need to do a reset on?

Try the reset button next to the USB port on you tab.that won't blow away any of your programsor settings. Another thing to try is setting a static IP on your tab.

What security protocol you using on your router? Security on my tab shows up as WPA/WPA2 and works just fine. How far away are you from the router? My biggest beef with the wifi in these things is the weak wifi signals compared to other devices I own. I've made some diy reflectors for my antennas on my router, which is not optimally place in my basement, to overcome some deadspots which has worked great for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones