• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root **Official** Droid X encrypted bootloader and efuse thread

Maybe someone can answer these questions quickly without having to dig through the Milestone and Eris forums:

1) Is the Eris bootloader encrypted?

No. You can root the Eris, but there isn't a huge modding community built around it either, like there is around the Droid 1 or the Galaxy.

In general, rootability has been one of the nicer things about HTC phones (the Incredible has already been rooted too).

2) Are people still working relentlessly on getting bootloader access/flashing roms to the Milestone or have people just given up?

I don't know, but as newer phones come out, the hackers that have fun playing with these things will move on to the latest, greatest hardware. And after months of baning their heads against the wall, I bet most of them are having a lot more fun writing software for the rooted phones (for instance, Unrevoked has been teasing some stuff about what they're doing for the Incredible).

3) Is there any other possible way to flash custom roms if the bootloader is encrypted?

Sure, if you or someone else infiltrates Motorola headquarters and steals the bootloader's RSA key Mission Impossible-style. ;)

Upvote 0
Was the Eris's bootloader encrypted like the Milestone's?

No idea. I didn't keep totally up with the rooting process, but I know that they had some serious issues with getting it rooted. At one point I think they thought it wasn't even possible...and actually, I *think* the only reason they did get it was because HTC let something slip or gave them something....i don't know for sure...

Upvote 0
Do any of these devs that usually get the job done have the phone to work on yet?
What forums do they hang out at? I don't think Android Police has a forum...

Droid X Android Development - xda-developers

Personally, as long as we can get root to delete crappy apps, wifi tether, overclock, app2sd, etc, I'd be content with this phone. If we can get custom ROMs then even better!

Upvote 0
I have a question for all.
When you say flashing roms does that mean custom roms only.
I don't care for them and would just like to get the newest vanilla android on my phone.
So when you flash the new OS that is not out for the device yet, does that still count as flashing a ROM? and would encrypted bootloader prevent that as well?

Yes, a bootloader that only allows digitally signed ROMs would prevent you from loading the newest vanilla android. The ONLY thing you could install are digitally signed ROMs from Motorola. This means that Motorola would have complete control over what OS version you can put on your phone.

At this point, the Droid X is being released with a Motorola customized version of Android 2.1 (customized being the whole motoblur stuff). They have announced they will release Froyo 2.2 in late August. Rest assured it will also be a customized version that Motorola will release.

After that, you have no guarantees that there will be any further releases or updates from Motorola. I'm not trying to say there won't be, but look at Samsung and all the mad users because Samsung is notoriously slow to update (if they do at all).

Upvote 0
Yes, a bootloader that only allows digitally signed ROMs would prevent you from loading the newest vanilla android. The ONLY thing you could install are digitally signed ROMs from Motorola. This means that Motorola would have complete control over what OS version you can put on your phone.

At this point, the Droid X is being released with a Motorola customized version of Android 2.1 (customized being the whole motoblur stuff). They have announced they will release Froyo 2.2 in late August. Rest assured it will also be a customized version that Motorola will release.

After that, you have no guarantees that there will be any further releases or updates from Motorola. I'm not trying to say there won't be, but look at Samsung and all the mad users because Samsung is notoriously slow to update (if they do at all).

Motorola is good for standing behind their phones for updates i mean look at the droid and the cliq xt just 2 examples they are still pushing updates for them so i highly doubt motorola is just going to completely abandon one of its top tier phones. They want people to continue to buy their products and this would be a good way to lose customers if they do that so i wouldnt say they will do that

Upvote 0
Custom ROMs is what I want. This makes me sad. I guess I might just buy a Droid and forget about the X. Gotta get something soon though, my wife needs a new phone (and is eligible for the upgrade) - was going to get a phone, then trade her for my Eris :)

The Incredible has now been rooted. That would be a good choice, if you can stand the horrible battery life.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why this goes on and on. It seems simple. If you want things enabled with possible root access maybe the X is still for you. If you want custom ROMs you probably don't want the X (I say probably because it is only 99% that it is locked for sure at this point). Why does everyone have to complain over and over about it? Just move on and get another phone if you for sure want custom flash ROMs to be installed.

If you want a whopper you don't go to McDonalds and insist they change their policy to serve BK hamburgers, you just go to BK. ;)

That being said, I'm still getting the X :p

Upvote 0
I don't understand why this goes on and on. It seems simple. If you want things enabled with possible root access maybe the X is still for you. If you want custom ROMs you probably don't want the X (I say probably because it is only 99% that it is locked for sure at this point). Why does everyone have to complain over and over about it? Just move on and get another phone if you for sure want custom flash ROMs to be installed.

If you want a whopper you don't go to McDonalds and insist they change their policy to serve BK hamburgers, you just go to BK. ;)

I think there are a couple of reasons you're seeing people get upset about this.

1) A lot of people probably didn't know that the bootloader was going to be encrypted.

2) A lot of people who DID know about #1, probably just thought it would take longer to root, not that it wouldn't happen at all; I haven't seen anyone make a very big deal out of it until now (I'm was in this category).

3) Some people have been holding out or hoping for a VZW Android phone with extremely fast performance, a really big screen, great durability, great sound quality, a good camera, good volume and bluetooth voice dialing. The DX is the first phone that fits the bill for all of that. (Argue as much as you want and defend your phone as much as you like: if you're honest with yourself, you'll see that what I'm saying is true). When people get their hopes really high and then are disappointed, they tend to get very upset (especially in this case... I mean I think everyone just assumes that Android is completely 'open').

4) I think we're all hoping that a hacker/developer who knows a lot more than we do is going to stop by and say "hey guys, even if it is encrypted, we will get it eventually by [insert something smart here]". Something like that at least.

5) Making a big fuss about some BULLSH!T like this is likely to catch Verizon/Motorola's attention. They need to know people are upset about this.

6) The Fascinate is coming out relatively soon after the DX. I have a feeling that a number of people may wait for that phone, knowing that the Galaxy S has already gained root, and apparently doesn't have a locked bootloader. The Fascinate is just a variation of the Galaxy S, so it's probably relatively easy to root as well. I may be one of the people waiting....

Upvote 0

More like going to McDonalds in search of a Big Mac with no middle bun and extra special sauce, and then finding out that while they made it for you LAST time, they will no longer do it. And you can't do it yourself because they won't give you any extra sauce on the side.

Reactions: krouget and kwest12
Upvote 0
I think there are a couple of reasons you're seeing people get upset about this.

1) A lot of people probably didn't know that the bootloader was going to be encrypted.

2) A lot of people who DID know about #1, probably just thought it would take longer to root, not that it wouldn't happen at all; I haven't seen anyone make a very big deal out of it until now (I'm was in this category).

3) Some people have been holding out or hoping for a VZW Android phone with extremely fast performance, a really big screen, great durability, great sound quality, a good camera, good volume and bluetooth voice dialing. The DX is the first phone that fits the bill for all of that. (Argue as much as you want and defend your phone as much as you like: if you're honest with yourself, you'll see that what I'm saying is true). When people get their hopes really high and then are disappointed, they tend to get very upset (especially in this case... I mean I think everyone just assumes that Android is completely 'open').

4) I think we're all hoping that a hacker/developer who knows a lot more than we do is going to stop by and say "hey guys, even if it is encrypted, we will get it eventually by [insert something smart here]". Something like that at least.

5) Making a big fuss about some BULLSH!T like this is likely to catch Verizon/Motorola's attention. They need to know people are upset about this.

6) The Fascinate is coming out relatively soon after the DX. I have a feeling that a number of people may wait for that phone, knowing that the Galaxy S has already gained root, and apparently doesn't have a locked bootloader. The Fascinate is just a variation of the Galaxy S, so it's probably relatively easy to root as well. I may be one of the people waiting....

Verizon will not care how much fuss you make. They make money whether you buy a Droid x or opted for the fascinate because it can be flashed and rooted. It makes no difference to them. Motorola might. But let's be honest, those that are upset about this likely constitute a very small portion of the people that will buy this phone. It may constitute a big percentage of those that are on this site, but most droid x buyers won't care. I care a little, but not nearly enough to get the butt ugly fascinate over this.

Upvote 0
Verizon will not care how much fuss you make. They make money whether you buy a Droid x or opted for the fascinate because it can be flashed and rooted. It makes no difference to them. Motorola might. But let's be honest, those that are upset about this likely constitute a very small portion of the people that will buy this phone. It may constitute a big percentage of those that are on this site, but most droid x buyers won't care. I care a little, but not nearly enough to get the butt ugly fascinate over this.
exactly. verizon will not give 2 shits. also, the rooted community, while it is not small, is only a small portion of people who will buy this phone. I knew someone who had a droid that didn't even know how to work the camera :eek:

Upvote 0

This is my point exactly, they are powerhouses. I guarantee that they don't care one bit. Of the relatively small number of people that complain here even fewer will complain to vzw or moto and I'm willing to bet those people will just get the brush off.

And can we please differentiate between root and loading custom ROMs, isn't it different?

Upvote 0

5- LETS EFFIN DO IT!!!!!

6- :D its ugly, but theres a case for that.... ;)

Reactions: kwest12
Upvote 0

Agree I also am not that worried about root im sure there is some guy out there who will most likely eventually crack it but to me it doesnt matter> all i really care about is 2.2 and to me the phone will be even more perfect then it already is. I would never get a samsung their phones always feel so cheap and they are notorious for leaving their customers and phones out to dry when it comes to updates.

Upvote 0
This is my point exactly, they are powerhouses. I guarantee that they don't care one bit. Of the relatively small number of people that complain here even fewer will complain to vzw or moto and I'm willing to bet those people will just get the brush off.

And can we please differentiate between root and loading custom ROMs, isn't it different?

I suppose hoping that Motorola and Verizon would give a crap is just wishful thinking. They actually seemed to with the Droid and then realize "OMG, we actually listened to what people wanted! Let's not to that again!"

You are correct about the difference between rooting and loading custom ROMs. We will be able to achieve root regardless of whether or not the bootloader is locked.

Root can do some things without using custom ROM, however, much of what you'd probably be trying to achieve with root access alone is typically baked right in to the custom ROMs. Also, custom ROMs tend to solve a lot of the little issues or things that the manufacturers overlooked, as the saying goes, "God is in the details". Not having access to the bootloader really detracts a lot from the whole rooting experience. That's how I understand it at least.

Agree I also am not that worried about root im sure there is some guy out there who will most likely eventually crack it but to me it doesnt matter> all i really care about is 2.2 and to me the phone will be even more perfect then it already is. I would never get a samsung their phones always feel so cheap and they are notorious for leaving their customers and phones out to dry when it comes to updates.

You say that now, but you may feel very differently when you start noticing a bunch of minor annoying things that Moto and VZW overlooked, but a hacker may quickly remedy with a custom ROM....

Upvote 0
You say that now, but you may feel very differently when you start noticing a bunch of minor annoying things that Moto and VZW overlooked, but a hacker may quickly remedy with a custom ROM....[/QUOTE]

Not really i had the eris, the incredible and didnt root either or those to me rooting isnt that big of a deal or that important the phone will be fine for me the way it is

Upvote 0
Rooting is more important to me than roms besides getting updates early it doesn't really matter to me.

I've found that custom roms may get rid of some problems but they usually introduce new issues that are even more annoying. (I ran several hybrids on the tour trying to find an O.S. that actually worked in all the ways I needed it to).

My biggest beef with the tour hybrids is they would all run fine for about 3 days. then the o.S. would slow to a crawl and I HAD to do battery pulls. and if I texted a lot. I'd see them crash. stock and hybrids. so..... ROMS. not so much.

Rooting? Definitely.

Verizon wouldn't care. Motorola, maybe. They might be made to change their mind if they get "overwhelming" emails and calls about the bootloader being encrypted. Motorola is in a precarious situation and they need all the customers they can get. the competition is stiff, and the Droid is yesterday's news.

Reactions: aleis
Upvote 0
the phone will be fine for me the way it is

Which is unfortunately 90% of users, and is why Moto/VZW couldn't give 2 craps about an unlocked/unencrypted bootloader.

I personally would like to be able to flash ROMs. This way, you don't get left in the dark when a new Android release comes out - someone will cook it up to work on the phone. The Eris isn't even available to purchase anymore (at least on VZW's website), how long do you think they'll keep the updates coming? Not long I'd imagine. Once a phone is no longer being sold, they have no reason to worry about updating it.

Upvote 0
Rooting is more important to me than roms besides getting updates early it doesn't really matter to me.

I've found that custom roms may get rid of some problems but they usually introduce new issues that are even more annoying. (I ran several hybrids on the tour trying to find an O.S. that actually worked in all the ways I needed it to).

My biggest beef with the tour hybrids is they would all run fine for about 3 days. then the o.S. would slow to a crawl and I HAD to do battery pulls. and if I texted a lot. I'd see them crash. stock and hybrids. so..... ROMS. not so much.

Rooting? Definitely.

Verizon wouldn't care. Motorola, maybe. They might be made to change their mind if they get "overwhelming" emails and calls about the bootloader being encrypted. Motorola is in a precarious situation and they need all the customers they can get. the competition is stiff, and the Droid is yesterday's news.
im guessing your talking about the blackberry tour and issues you had with those roms. let me tell you that our developers are amazing. if there are any issues, the developer will most likely fix it within a week's time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones