• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root **Official** Droid X encrypted bootloader and efuse thread

I was very excited about this phone but no custom Roms is a serious deal breaker. I'm never going back to being chained to manufacturer update schedules!

FYI:
Root is the term used to describe having Admin user privileges on your phone, it allows you

Bootloader access is needed to remove, or put new operating system version, or kernals on the phone.

Upvote 0
A lot of the comments in this thread indicate to me that people aren't fully considering the impact of what they're saying. First, I think you're tricking yourself if you think Verizon and Motorola reps aren't watching these forums. Those of you who were watching that massive Incredible pre-release thread will remember how Verizon seemed to be messing with us directly at times. Second, if we sit idly by while Motorola and Verizon strip Android of the freedom it's known for, they'll continue to do it. Next thing you know, we're going the hear that the next round of VZW/Moto phones have a way of preventing us from gaining root access all together.

I'm suggesting that everyone take an objective look at this situation and realize what type of impact your comments may have. I realize that those of us worried about something like the boot loader are a minority. Consider what may happen if we were a vocal minority though: for instance, what if we started sending mass requests to the big reviewers, asking them to briefly discuss the encrypted boot loader and it's implications in their reviews (right now everyone is ignoring the issue). If stuff starts popping up in reviews about Android becoming more closed down I guarantee someone is going to notice: the "openness" is a big go-to talking point when it comes to comparing phone OSes.

Again, please just consider what you're posting, and why you're posting it. Defending your future purchase is all well and good, but is it worth it if it has potentially damaging implications for the future?

Upvote 0
I was very excited about this phone but no custom Roms is a serious deal breaker. I'm never going back to being chained to manufacturer update schedules!

FYI:
Root is the term used to describe having Admin user privileges on your phone, it allows you

Bootloader access is needed to remove, or put new operating system version, or kernals on the phone.

Don't know if you guys keep up with HoFo, but according to Winston (Moto insider involved in the development of new phones, source of many of the leaks on Moto devices) says the Milestone has been rooted and overclocked...so if overclocking is something holding you back from the X looks like it's still likely at some point. Not sure about custom ROMs, though.

Motorola DROID X MB810 (Xtreme/Shadow) Pre-Release Thread Part 3 - Information Only

Upvote 0
Root; absolutely. Bootloader crack; highly unlikely if it's encrypted. History tends to repeat itself and we have already seen Motorola's success with bootloader encryption (Milestone). Since the Milestone bootloader has proven to be uncrackable, this really is closer to fact than to speculation.... (unless we find out that the DX's bootloader is unencrypted)

The bootloader can be cracked it's just a matter of anyone talented enough and with enough free CPU cycles to do it. any encryption can be cracked. it's just a matter of time and desire. And by time we're talking, depending on the encryption, years. lol.

That said Motorola could be made to change their mind if enough people complained. maybe not with 2.1 but 2.2 could show up unsigned.

Reactions: damstr and kwest12
Upvote 0
A lot of the comments in this thread indicate to me that people aren't fully considering the impact of what they're saying. First, I think you're tricking yourself if you think Verizon and Motorola reps aren't watching these forums. Those of you who were watching that massive Incredible pre-release thread will remember how Verizon seemed to be messing with us directly at times. Second, if we sit idly by while Motorola and Verizon strip Android of the freedom it's known for, they'll continue to do it. Next thing you know, we're going the hear that the next round of VZW/Moto phones have a way of preventing us from gaining root access all together.

I'm suggesting that everyone take an objective look at this situation and realize what type of impact your comments may have. I realize that those of us worried about something like the boot loader are a minority. Consider what may happen if we were a vocal minority though: for instance, what if we started sending mass requests to the big reviewers, asking them to briefly discuss the encrypted boot loader and it's implications in their reviews (right now everyone is ignoring the issue). If stuff starts popping up in reviews about Android becoming more closed down I guarantee someone is going to notice: the "openness" is a big go-to talking point when it comes to comparing phone OSes.

Again, please just consider what you're posting, and why you're posting it. Defending your future purchase is all well and good, but is it worth it if it has potentially damaging implications for the future?

A few thousand Milestone users took the issue to Motorola on their Facebook and Twitter accounts along with the Motorola forums. All they did in return is make this statement,

Reactions: Flying_Hellfish
Upvote 0
The bootloader can be cracked it's just a matter of anyone talented enough and with enough free CPU cycles to do it. any encryption can be cracked. it's just a matter of time and desire. And by time we're talking, depending on the encryption, years. lol.

That said Motorola could be made to change their mind if enough people complained. maybe not with 2.1 but 2.2 could show up unsigned.

Nice to see someone considering the future a bit: thank you.

If anyone else sees the logic here, I'd like to make a suggestion. Consider posting on reviews that allow comments (or messaging the reviewer) and asking the reviewers to include this matter in their reviews. You can link here to help you explain what you want if that helps (yay AFs! lol). It doesn't take long and it could make a difference. If you do decide to do this, remember, respectful requests go much further than insulting and berating the reviewer for leaving something out.

Thanks in advance to everyone who decides to help out.

Upvote 0
A few thousand Milestone users took the issue to Motorola on their Facebook and Twitter accounts along with the Motorola forums. All they did in return is make this statement,

“We understand there is a community of developers interested in going beyond Android application development and experimenting with Android system development and re-flashing phones. For these developers, we highly recommend obtaining either a Google ADP1 developer phone or a Nexus One, both of which are intended for these purposes. At this time, Motorola Android-based handsets are intended for use by consumers and Android application developers, and we have currently chosen not to go into the business of providing fully unlocked developer phones.
Securing the software on our handsets, thereby preventing a non-Motorola ROM image from being loaded, has been our common practice for many years. This practice is driven by a number of different business factors. When we do deviate from our normal practice, such as we did with the DROID, there is a specific business reason for doing so. We understand this can result in some confusion, and apologize for any frustration.”

I like how their solution is to buy other manufacturer's devices, lol. That's also basically a recommendation to not have Verizon, since those phones aren't on VZ.

Pretty lame though, really.

Upvote 0
...I'm a little disturbed to hear people trying to make the argument that "this isn't a big deal" and we "shouldn't get that upset about this". Android is supposed to be free and open, not closed down (like the iPhone OS). This is a step towards locking down Android and robbing us of additional functionality; I, for one, am certainly upset about it. I guess I kinda hoped that the entire Android community would be just as upset, even if they didn't plan on using custom ROMs....
I agree, this goes against the principles of Android and open development.

I for one fail to see why they would encrypt the bootloader. So what if some hacker puts a custom ROM on the DX? Good for them!

It doesn't hurt the consumer base any, and makes fanboys happier, why the hell not?

This draconian method of locking the phone down like the iPhone is dumb.

Upvote 0
For those of you who feel strongly about trying to get the word out, here are list of reviews and the corresponding emails of the writer/publisher of the reviews. I'd encourage emails over posts to some degree... with some of the bigger sites, posts are just likely to get lost in the shuffle.

Phandroid:
You shouldn't need help with this one lol

Engadget:
Review: Motorola Droid X review -- Engadget
Email: chris@engadget.com

Boy Genius Report:
Review: Motorola DROID X review Boy Genius Report
Email: andrew@boygeniusreport.com

Phone Arena:
Review: Motorola DROID X MB810 Review (Phone Arena Reviews)
Email: phonearena@phonearena.com

Phone Scoop:
Review: Review: Motorola's Droid X : Is It Your Type? (Phone Scoop)
No email was listed for Eric Zeman, but you can message him directly if you create an account.

cnet:
Review: Motorola Droid X (Verizon Wireless) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews
No email was listed for Bonnie Cha, but you can contact her directly using the link "email Bonnie" link below her picture in the upper left of this page

ZDNet:
Review: Motorola Droid X review: bigger, badder, better | ZDNet
No email was listed for Andrew Nusca, but you can contact him directly by scrolling to the end of the article and using the "contact" link in the little blurb about him

PCMag:
Review: Motorola Droid X (Verizon Wireless) - Full Review - Reviews by PC Magazine

Android Central:
Link: Droid X - your questions, our answers | Android Central
This isn't a review, it's more of a "you asked, we found answers" type of deal. At the end of the article it says "Post more questions in the forums, and we'll get you some more answers."

Upvote 0
What bothers me is I OWN the device yet they are telling me what and what I can't do with it. I own my car and I can add parts to the engine to make it faster... sure it might void my engine warranty but ITS MY DECISION! I own a Dell and if I wanted linux on it I can... sure they might not support it but the option is there!

I own a Nexus one and the amount of things I can do with custom roms is mind boggling. The N1 was great phone before I unlocked its bootloader and threw a good rom on there but since I've done that its a FANTASTIC phone.

Your analogy is off.

When you buy the phone you buy the phone the way they are selling it to you. If you don't like that you shouldn't buy it.

Now suppose you buy it anyway. Guess what? You are free to do whatever you can get away with doing to it, it's yours after all. Unfortunately some things are going to be harder to do than others.

Now this is how your car analogy should have gone:

This "locking the bootloader" is no different than, say, changing parts in your car. Some of the parts are going have to be replaced with only "dealer" parts. If you don't want to use a dealer part then it's going to be a lot hard to fix. So in the case of the DX boot loader; its no different than your car as you will only be able to replace the ROM with a dealer part, so to speak.

Upvote 0
mmon practice for many years. This practice is driven by a number of different business factors. When we do deviate from our normal practice, such as we did with the DROID, there is a specific business reason for doing so. We understand this can result in some confusion, and apologize for any frustration.”

I'm wondering what the specific business reason was for the Droid and I'm wonder if they may have the same reason to deviate from their common practice again for the Droid X?

Hope?!:D

Upvote 0
Alright, I don't know very much about how the encrypted boot loader works, etc, and I don't even own an Android phone (though I have been planning on getting the Droid X). However, I have a few questions about this subject. I'm not sure how much I'd personally benefit from flashed roms, but I'd definitely like the option and enjoy the openness of Android.

First off, it seems like most of you guys are assuming that it WILL have an encrypted boot loader. As it is clearly a possibility, where is the reasoning behind this confidence? From what I understand, there is ONE phone that has had this happen (the Milestone). I don't really understand how the fact that this one European phone makes it likely that the X will also be encrypted.

Secondly, and kind of going off the first thing, the original droid was obviously not encrypted. Why is that? Did motorola just recently decide to start encrypting phones with the milestone? And like I said, the only phone I've heard that is encrypted is the milestone. Just doesn't seem to make much sense, especially with the extreme popularity of the Droid.

Lastly, everyone seems very confident that if encrypted, the boot loader will be essentially impossible to crack. Yes, the milestone has been out for however long, and hasn't been cracked, but I seriously doubt that it has anywhere near as much following as the X has/will have. The Droid X will most likely be one the premier Android phones until at least the late fall, while the Milestone had already been surpassed by better phones for a while. It seems unreasonable to believe that somebody out there won't be able to crack the X or that there isn't a possibility of it getting leaked.

I would really like to know what you guys think about this stuff, as I am planning on getting the Droid X, but it would be a bummer if it was encrypted.

Upvote 0
People, stop talking as if we already know it is encrypted at all or encrypted beyond hacking...we don't know yetttt!!

Correct: we don't know for sure yet one way or another. It's far more likely that one of these big time reviewers will be able to get a straight answer when it comes to this, hence this list of reviews and reviewers to contact:
http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...hing-roms-abandon-all-hope-2.html#post1063229

I'm wondering what the specific business reason was and I'm wonder if they may have the same reason to deviate from their common practice again? Hope?:D

That would be really awesome... I'm not gonna get my hopes up though. That also doesn't mean I'm gonna stop 'yelling' about it either. ;)

Upvote 0
Lastly, everyone seems very confident that if encrypted, the boot loader will be essentially impossible to crack. Yes, the milestone has been out for however long, and hasn't been cracked, but I seriously doubt that it has anywhere near as much following as the X has/will have.

Think about what you said there. The milestone when released was the top of the line android phone and was a GSM world phone compared to the Droid X that is on one carrier in the US.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones