• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Oh no! Can't stop system upgrade. Help!

t5800512

Dec 20, 2009
So today I checked and found a system upgrade. I started it, and then noticed a note that said something like "you will need to re-sync your contacts after this upgrade". Just like me to leap before I look down!

So the problem is that I don't have a backup of my contacts to re-sync with. When the phone was origional setup they botched my e-mail setup, so I have been using a POP connection to get to gmail. And the Verison sync program I loaded on my PC will not work. I'm so screwed.

I can't loose my contacts and phone numbers, so I wait until the upgrade has downloaded, and then guickly turn the phone off thinking that that would be the end of it. It's not! Now every time I power the phone up, it start "verifying upgrade". So I turn it back off.

So how do I stop this system upgrade from wiping out my contacts?
Thank you for your help.

Thank you for your reply. I just can't take the chance of loosing my contacts and phone numbers. I called Version and after an your with them, I realized that they can help. But I'm sure that someone on this forum can help. There are guys on here that know this phone as well as the designers.

So I found out that I can get into the app store while the verification is running. As long as I power the phone down before the verification completes, the update does not run. So I may have time to back the phone numbers up before it finishes. I just need to find the right app. Anyone got any ideas?

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. I just can't take the chance of loosing my contacts and phone numbers. I called Version and after an your with them, I realized that they can help. But I'm sure that someone on this forum can help. There are guys on here that know this phone as well as the designers.

So I found out that I can get into the app store while the verification is running. As long as I power the phone down before the verification completes, the update does not run. So I may have time to back the phone numbers up before it finishes. I just need to find the right app. Anyone got any ideas?

UiA Backup Contacts. https://market.android.com/details?id=no.uia.android.backupcontacts&feature=search_result

Take the .csv file that this creates and import them to a gmail account so that you never have this happen to you again. If you ever get a new Android phone, or factory reset the one that you have, all of your Google contacts will automatically sync down to the phone every time.

Upvote 0
Problem Resolved.

I'm going to document this incase anyone else has a simular problem.

So in increments of about 2 minutes (the time it takes for the "verify" to run), I downloaded the "mybackup pro" app and set it up. Thank god they had a 30 day trial that does not require the credit card stuff. I got the data backed up, and started backing up the apps (yea, not all at the same time). I would do what I could before the verify reached 97% or so, then I would power down the device and start over.
I got the data backed up, but while waiting for the apps to backup, I did not get it shutdown soon enough, and guess what? It ask me if I wanted to" install now or later". Of course I selected later and got my phone back! Yea!

I sure wish someone has told me I would get that option. But at least now I have everything backed up. I have to admit it was stupid not to have done a backup before now. I have not tried to restore, but trust it will work. I'm going to buy the "mybackup pro" app.

I'm going to wait until I get the Incredible I just bought off eBay, and then use "mybackup pro" to to transfer my data to the new phone. Then I will run the update on the phone.

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones