• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Okay so I am tired of doing this so bare with me.

GWShark

Lurker
Apr 17, 2015
I am sick of getting these calls from random companies most likely robo calls and no messages. Call them right back and you get the infamous this number is not a recognized phone number. So I am going to try to take a stab at writing a simple app first and hopefully successful then a more complex one. I will need a lot of help and Q&A at times from you awesome developers who are probably light years ahead.

Here it is in a nut shell:

• One I had this number for over 15 years now and it is mine and no amount of harassment is going to make me give it up.
  • I want to make two apps. The first will do nothing but capture numbers in a database.
  • In the database if you have called 3 times from the same number and have not left a voicmail then the trigger would be to block that number.
  • If you are categorized as call 3 time and no voicemail boom you are instantly blocked.
  • Maybe at some point feeding this block info to the major blacklists.

The is the second version:
  • Still working on this.

Does anyone know of some software like this that is good? Or is there anyone working on some code that may be similar? Some direction would be great. Thanks.

IMO you're knocking yourself out for nothing.
Most if not all of the numbers are now spoofed and will often be different every time so trying to maintain a blacklist is probably a useless endeavor.
I just reject the call if I don't recognize the number, or if I answer and it's a robo or no response I hang up and go about my business. A minor annoyance but unfortunately a fact of life nowadays.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
IMO you're knocking yourself out for nothing.
Most if not all of the numbers are now spoofed and will often be different every time so trying to maintain a blacklist is probably a useless endeavor.
Agreed. I think a better use of effort would be to attempt something like the VoIP providers use (e.g., Callcentric). That is, the call gets intercepted with a message to dial "X" to continue. X = a random number that changes on every incoming call. If it is not received in x number of seconds, the call is disconnected. Obviously, a robo-call cannot anticipate this, and the call never gets through.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones