Once, twice, three times a lady! ... Wiped

Last Updated:

1. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

I would think that you wouldn't need to wipe more than once. But I know when the ROMs came out that devs told us to wipe 3 times, you had to wipe 3x to get it to work. I know b/c that information was not readily available when I first flashed. Didn't work just wiping once. Was told to do it 3x and success.

Also, it brings to mind something like Metamorph. Often, I've had to redo an installation b/c it didn't do everything the first time.

And there's Titanium Backup, which for me almost never restores everything on the first shot.

Regardless, this sounds like a potential geek war in the making, so I'm def sticking around just in case. lol

2. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

I do it three times.
    I have read it several places - I also agree that a wipe is a wipe, but with the issues I sometimes have with my phone and ROMming, I do it as a self assurance. Just makes me feel better, IDK, LOL.
  3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

OCD. Awesome! :D

Hey! I have it too. Just not when it comes to formating partitions.
  4. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

I do the same thing, Nick. There are enough anecdotal reports of chronic problems being solved by formatting multiple times before installing a ROM, that I consider the additional peace of mind well worth it. And Clockwork makes formatting all the partitions so easy, it only take a few seconds to accomplish each wipe. If that makes me OCD or even silly, so be it! I never seem to experience all the problems that others, who didn't format multiple times, report when they switch ROMs.
  5. inssane

Yup, and as someone had mentioned, developers were encouraging multiple wipes.

After going through this post last night, I had to change ROMs.
    I was going to do a single wipe - but couldn't do it.
    My fingers just did it on their own.
    2 down - camera button
    7 down - camera button
    2 down - camera button
    7 down - camera button
    2 down - camera button
    7 down - camera button
  6. GorillaTheHutt

GorillaTheHutt Well-Known Member

i don't believe formatting multiple times does anything. i have never formatted more than once and never had problems. but i always format for any ROM upgrade, no matter how small or how much it is said you can apply it over the old one. i think that's why things usually go smoothly for me. with Ti backup, complete wipes are no big deal, so might as well do it every time.
  7. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I only ever format each partition once. More power to the people who want to do it more but from my experience its completely unnecessary
  8. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

one pass, call it a day.
    I have more important things to focus my OCD on, like getting everyone to call it CDO, alphabetical order, as it should be!!!
  9. cggorman

cggorman Well-Known Member

Having recently recovered from a wiped SD Card, I can say that wiping multiple times increases the likelyhood you'll go down an extra line and then start yelling, "NO!, NO!, NO!...SHI^!"
  10. blackberrywidow

blackberrywidow Active Member

I just started a backup of my card because of your post...
  11. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

I have always only done one wipe, even when Pete and cyan said multible wipes were required, and I never had any trouble with installing roms.
    So unless u just like the extra work, only wipe once.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  12. messenger13

You've had more issues than I have had. :p So there! :D
  13. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

Ummmmmmmmmm, I don't see how that can be true, since I haven't had ANY problems since I started multiple-wiping all my partitions. In fact, I think you've had a lot more ROM issues than I recently. :rolleyes:
  14. inssane

I think that caters better to the dyslexic crowd.
  15. Rons

Rons Well-Known Member

Ha! that same thing happened to me....classic
  16. messenger13

Add superstitious to the list. ;)
  17. YankeeDudeL

Where's my geek war? Ok, let's add a lil fuel to the fire...

So why is it that the ROMs didn't take w/ one wipe but did w/ multiple? Huh? Huh?! HUH?!

Go get 'em, tigers. :cool:
  18. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Haha! I don't know that this is an issue that anyone will get that excited about. :D

Sorry you didn't get the fight you were looking for. :(
  19. G.Armour

They have always worked on mine. Ok, for instance I was browsing another site, and on the instructions it says wipe twice (kinda feel like I'm talking about something I do in the bathroom :)) before installing the b.b. froyo that I know a lot of people here are running. Now, I know I only wiped once, and mine installed and is working just fine. I have NEVER wiped more than once, and I have never had any problems with installing or running other roms. It goes to make me wonder if they told everyone that just to see how many would actually do it. And yet, some people take it as a must do now.. I don't get it, it don't make sense to me.

20. YankeeDudeL

It's so much easier on Playstation. lol I figured gamers n techies would be of the same ilk. I guess it's like those math equations they used to make us do. "Some flims are flams. Some flams are flems. All flems are flums..."
  21. G.Armour

Lol, I'm a gamer so I guess being argumentative comes natural to me..

22. messenger13

Hey! I'm just trying to teach you a little something, whilst freeing you of your OCD and/or superstitious ways. Just leading the horse to water ... so to speak.

Anyone trying to even pose an argument based on wiping a partition more than once is just being obstinate. Meanwhile you have no technical or factual argument to stand upon. When's the last time you deleted a file from your PC and the old file was still kinda there? :rolleyes:
  23. G.Armour

Good point.
  24. YankeeDudeL

I really don't know anything about tech stuff, but don't we have to defrag computers b/c of this?

I was only mostly joking about the geek war. :D
  25. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

It has NOTHING to do with being superstitious! Oh crap! It's past 3:00pm and I forgot to turn my left sock inside out! BRB! :)