• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root One Rom at a time

New2G2

Jun 11, 2011
I want to make sure that I get this concept straight. After many years as a windoze user understanding Linux has been challenging!

I can have many custom ROM's on my SD card but only one can be "Flashed" as the operating ROM at a time. If I want to run a differnt ROM I have to flash the new one.

I think what is throwing me off is I have Clockwork Recovery and I flashed it. If I turn my phone off and turn it on I am still on the stock T-Mobile configuration.

I may or may not flash Cyanogen, I know I don't want 2.2.3 with all it's problems.

Sorry for this Noob questions but I don't want to brick my phone by thinking I know more than I do.

In it's simplest form, that's right yeah, 1 ROM at a time, then you can flash others when you want to change. There are other steps involved (backups & wipes etc)

Normally your device won't boot into clockwork by itself, there's a special button combination you need to do in order for it to boot into the recovery image. This will differ dependant on handset. On mine, it's volume down whilst powering on.

Which phone do you own? I'll move your thread to the relevant forum and users of the device can give more specific assistance.

Reactions: cds0699
Upvote 0
Then you're in the wrong forum, I'll move this.

That does however throw a small spanner in the works as you're new. To install ClockworkMod so that you can boot directly into it, you have to use NVFlash, ROM Manager will only fake flash it (need to use RM to enter CWM)

If you have NVFlashed, then hold both power and vol down until the blue LG/orange Android appears, then release.

Upvote 0
yes.. only 1 OS/ROM can be on the phone at a time. you can have as may files that you want on the SD card (space permitting). a file is a file is a file is a file.

it should not loose the flashed rom.. when rebooting..
i am going to guess... your phone does not have a full root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones