• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTA update officially released 8/24/11...(MR-5 Update) Discussion thread

I posted this at Android Central as well...

So my 30 days are up this Saturday since I ordered July 28th. I had one exchange on August 1st before we knew the no audio call bug was widespread. I can't wait any longer since I need to decide by Friday 8/26 whether to keep the phone or return within my 30 days and wait for the SGS2. I really, really like this phone and want to be able to keep it.

So last night I downloaded the MRs that were linked at MoPho XDA forum. I used my daughter's netbook since my corporate laptop won't let me install RSD Lite.

I installed the MR3 update and then MR5 after that just to be safe. Of course I was up to 3am doing the update and then Sprint and Moto release the OTA this morning. Everything went flawlessly. Browser and WiFi speeds seem lightning fast (I do not believe this to be the placebo effect).

Results!
Results are what counts right? So at first the no audio phone call bug seemed to be gone... but remember the process of updating requires you to reboot at least a few times. So as of 9am to 10am this morning I have made several test calls and I am STILL having audio issues. The incoming audio drops in and out. No totally silent calls like with MR1 but they are still there. It does seem vastly improved but not 100%. I would say it is about 65-75% of where it should be.

My last recourse before returning the MoPho is to do a factory data reset which I don't want to do (between resetting my MoPho twice and replacing me wife and daughter's EVO all I seem to do is install Android apps and setup phones!). I will wait until this afternoon to see if the audio issues with phone calls progressively get worse as it did on MR1. I will update everyone on my results as I get more info.

On another note... the inability to steam 16k MP3 audio (I believe that is the bitrate... maybe it's 32k) has not been fixed. While trying to listen to my favorite sports radio station through the Radio.com app the audio has a stop/start stutter that makes it almost completely unlistenable.

I found a workaround (hint StreamFurious) to this issue but I wish Motorola would fix the Photon's ability to correctly handle this audio stream especially since CBS Radio has decided to remove it's streams from the Tune In app.

Upvote 0
My wifi and 3G speeds are also much improved, as well as wifi range (I'm now getting a good connection in my office in the garage where I was barely getting connection before). Browser is definitely faster, and I'm also (for what it's worth) getting better benchmark scores. Quadrant is consistently 2500+, and I'm getting around 3500/2600 on Smartbench 2011 (was getting around 2800/2600 before the update).

I know, who cares about benchmarks, right? But, even so, performance is simply outstanding. Feel no qualms about keeping this phone with everything that's great about it vs. the SGS II.

Upvote 0
I've noticed battery improvement post the update especially in standby. Pulled Photon off the charger at 1am and battery was still full at 0800.

Also update appears to have fixed my slow 3g connection. I was running 1.3 down and about 550 up. Even streamed a couple vids with no lag. Wasnt doing that before the update without using 4g. Previous to update 225 down and 90 up were about avage.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I've noticed battery improvement post the update especially in standby. Pulled Photon off the charger at 1am and battery was still full at 0800.

Also update appears to have fixed my slow 3g connection. I was running 1.3 down and about 550 up. Even streamed a couple vids with no lag. Wasnt doing that before the update without using 4g. Previous to update 225 down and 90 up were about avage.

Even better battery life than I was already getting? Wow, that's great news.

Did you check if it's registering EVDO or 1X?

TOMXP411 had a great post on how to check if it's EVDO or 1X coverage:

http://androidforums.com/3072257-post50.html

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yes it lock EVDO A but was almost always painfully slow even after PRL and Profile updates.

Ahhh, okay. I'm actually with you on this one though. My 3G would always go from fast to slow (very sporadic). It didn't really bother me all that much, but after the update my wifi and 3G radios seem to be stronger. That's the one observation I've had so far.

And I tested the silent call issue, so far no issues, but I'm going to keep checking throughout the next few days to see if it pops back up.

Upvote 0
So much for "rumors" and "official" updates... The guys at XDA were spot-on.

Not to go to OT, but I don't get why more people don't trust them. I've been on there since 2008 when all they did was WinMo phones and they were always on top of their game. It's just gotten better since they expanded their efforts to Android.

Upvote 0
Not to go to OT, but I don't get why more people don't trust them. I've been on there since 2008 when all they did was WinMo phones and they were always on top of their game. It's just gotten better since they expanded their efforts to Android.

Yup. I've been "registered" there since back in my WinMo days as well (Mogul>Touch Pro) and they were always on top of things as far as updates are concerned. I just rarely posted on there...way too "over my head" technical in some respects and didn't feel right posting...hahahaha.

Upvote 0
To those who have the sleep of death and random reboots, does the update fix your problems?

I've never had those issues myself and have suspected they were hardware problems that couldn't be fixed with an update.

The only thing I've noticed is my 3G/Wifi connectivity "seems" to be faster (which I know is one of the complaints that was being discussed). It didn't really bother me much because it didn't seem any "slower" than my EVO, but with the update, the 3G does seem to have picked up a 'bit and wifi signal seems stronger (especially at my house where I don't have a repeater and signal goes weaker towards the edges of my house (if anybody has a recommendation for an "inexpensive" repeater that'll increase signal strength, please PM me suggestions).

Upvote 0
To those who have the sleep of death and random reboots, does the update fix your problems?

I've never had those issues myself and have suspected they were hardware problems that couldn't be fixed with an update.

My experience may or may not help but I've only had the phone since Monday and experienced one random reboot and one drop call in an area with full coverage.

Since the update, I haven't had any further issues so far.

Upvote 0
Is anyone else having problems sending pics since the update? I can receive them ok but they are slow to send, IF they send. I'm using Handcent, which has been slow lately with pictures anyway. But even sending them through the native texting app is slow. I tried turning my phone off & back on but it didn't make any difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones