• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Out of Verizon's area -- dammit!!

I think I recall hearing (and that video seems to say as much) that the extenders are for RTT only. No added 3G connectivity. So the OP would see voice, but not any sort of reasonable data.

Well you have to plug the extender into a cable internet connection. So if they already have that to use the extender why would they need 3G? WiFi would work just fine for the internet part of the equation...not like you can take the extender with you.

Upvote 0
What is returning the droid have to do with anything? So you can get another phone that has the same crappy service. This has nothing to do with the droid sorry, move this thread to some verizon forum or something I dunno.

What does returning Droid have to do with anything?

Droid is on Verizon, correct? Verizon shows on it's maps that service is strong in my area. It's not. Didn't know till I tried. That's what prompted this thread -- a search for an alternative method of getting some phone useage with this device.

ATT is strong. Therefore, I either attempt some of these guy's suggestions, or I return the phone and stick with ATT. Sticking with ATT means no more Droid. Get it?

Gotta admit, "returning the Droid" is somewhat relevant in this line of thought.

Upvote 0
Yes Voice Only, But the OP has Wifi sooooooo. And Like I said, Just get Google Voice over WIFI at the House...Problem Solved.

I can't imagine paying 30 extra a month for cellular data services I'm not receiving....and are the extenders really voice/sms only? I knew they didn't support EVDO But don't you get 1xRTT data? The AT&T micro cell blows verizons out of the water, though they need a good micro cell with there coverage.

Upvote 0
On a more serious note, I'm surprised they would even consider the possibility of expanding their network to fill the dead zone you are in. I knew a guy that was a football field away from getting cable internet services and they said it would cost $64,000 to expand the access to him. The guy said he would pay for it 100% if they would do it and the cable company said no.

Obviously if you can't use the phone there is no sense keeping it. If you really wanted to keep it they do make network extenders which aren't very cheap. Maybe you would have a signal higher up on a roof that you could reflect.
he would pay 64k out of pocket to have internet? must be nice to have that to throw around

Upvote 0
The network extender would definitley work, and the best thing to do would be to CALL verizon, and not go to the store...

I had a Blackberry Tour for 3 months. Then it bricked. They gave me another one (at the store level). It bricked within 2 weeks. My buddy (ybnrml86) called verizon on my behalf, and gave them the verbal bitchslapping of a lifetime.

The next day, my droid, an extra battery cover, and a prostitute wearing a verizon t-shirt showed up at my front door (okay, not the prostitute... :D)

Verizon is very easy to manipulate if you stay firm, but not nasty. Remind them of their map and how it says you have great coverage, yet you have no signal at all on their premier phone. Tell them you are an avid forum poster, and they'll start to sweat. They don't want anyone (especially the rabid AT&T followers) getting the notion that their maps are wrong lol.

Good luck!!

Upvote 0
My wife was soooooooooo enthusiastic about giving this Droid to me for Christmas, she signed me up for full-boat package. The bill came in at about $170. I went to Verizon to see if we still had to pay that amount since, by their tech's own admission, the Verizon map was wrong and we have no service at my home. They agreed to a "partial credit" and suggested that the extender would work, but of course, would not let me have it for free.
Something their sale/tech advised that really made sense was that I stick with the Droid and Verizon to use primarily while at work or away, my wife has ATT which works almost everywhere so far, and we could get MagicJack as a cheap third line. That way, if someone desperately needed to contact us, they would have 3 numbers to try... especially if we are out on the road, traveling -- if ATT was out of range, maybe Verizon would be in range, and vice-versa... we would have a larger area of reception with two providers.

Made sense, and I'm still considering. As for the "credit", he will call me tomorrow once he finds out "what he can do".
The only reason I'm posting all this is in case someone else may be going through the same thing. Maybe it will help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones