• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Overclocked!

So:

1. d/l to computer
2. put it on sd card
3. Install "Rom" (kernal) with Rom manager from sd card using CWR

Is that how you do it? And then at the end keep the kernal on the sd card?

im not sure why you have that part there(id leave rom manager out of the equation for flashing)... but otherwise yes. :) unless youre just using rom manager as a means to boot into CWR(wich is fine)

you can delete the kernel from the card afterward,or let it stay. when you flash a new rom,it will overwrite the kernal you flashed,so youll need to reflash it to keep using it.

its not like a PB05IMG file where the phone will keep finding it and trying to flash it.

Upvote 0
Yes, that's essentially all there is to it.

No, you don't have to keep the file on the SD card after you installed it.

Be careful if this is your first time overclocking. It could cause stability errors or really short battery life. It doesn't sound like that's the case, but it's always good to have a stock kernel on hand before you proceed with flashing to a new one.
By stock kernal on hand do you mean on my computer or on the sd card itself? And do you happen to know of a stock kernal I could use or do you not overclock?

Upvote 0
Be careful if this is your first time overclocking. It could cause stability errors or really short battery life. It doesn't sound like that's the case, but it's always good to have a stock kernel on hand before you proceed with flashing to a new one.

good advice. if you dont have a a stock kernal to reflash,just make a backup. if you have issues with an installed kernal,wipe the rom and restore your backup :)

Upvote 0
im not sure why you have that part there(id leave rom manager out of the equation for flashing)... but otherwise yes. :) unless youre just using rom manager as a means to boot into CWR(wich is fine)

you can delete the kernel from the card afterward,or let it stay. when you flash a new rom,it will overwrite the kernal you flashed,so youll need to reflash it to keep using it.

its not like a PB05IMG file where the phone will keep finding it and trying to flash it.
I was under the impression I could overclock while keeping my existing rom?! I was sort of waiting and feeling out this whole thing while some more ROMs were developed before I jumped all over the ones out now.

Upvote 0
I was under the impression I could overclock while keeping my existing rom?!

that is correct. if you flash a kernal,it becomes part of the rom youre currently using.

if you flash a new rom,it will have its own kernel included and that will replace the one that you flashed.

so if you wish to re-use the kernel that you flashed in rom#1 with rom#2,youll will have to flash the kernel again. if you want to use a particular kernel with several differnet roms,then it would be easier to leave it on your sd card. if youre not going to change roms that often,or dont think youll want to reuse the kernel,then go ahead and delete it. hope that clears it up some :)

Upvote 0
The kernel I have currently was given to me directly for testing purposes only. 1.99 is not stable and 1.92 is iffy. Even after all the testing it froze on me late last night. It unfortunately, never got posted publicly so I won't be putting out any links. However 1.8 on this phone I feel is overkill, even 1.76 is overkill. You can only get so instant. From what I've found 1.8 seems to be as high as you can go without running into issues.

Upvote 0
Honestly I dont see the need to go any higher than I'm currently running, 1.2GHz. I get Quadrant scores in the 2150-2250 range, which don't mean much, but it's as 'snappy' and smooth as it could possibly be. Transitions are instant and I get great battery life, relatively speaking.

Personally I dont see a point in running anything higher other than to show off, which is perfectly acceptable. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones