• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help phone call hack (??)

Hey all. Just got the note 3 from tmobile yesterday. I call my boyfriend this morning while he's driving to work. The conversation comes to a close, we exchange "I love you"s and I don't press the end call button. I just leave it running to see how this new phone sounds when a call ends. I don't hear any kind of end click and then I hear three distinct chuckles, a woman's voice say "thank you emily" and then some rustling. I'm frozen, because this isn't my southern-drawl boyfriend's voice. I just let the call go. Some more rustling. Sounds kind of like the call is being made from inside a car. I finally end it and immediately call my bf back. Nobody is in the car with him. Am I nuts? Has anyone ever experienced anything likethis? I'm kind of Freaking out. Went to android from iOs. Wtf just happened?

Interesting story, Emily. I really doubt that the phone is hacked, especially since you got it yesterday. Someone would most likely have needed physical access to your phone to gain control of it.

Especially considering that they knew your name, I'd say one of these two options is the most likely culprit:
1.) You inadvertently 3 way called a friend who listened in and decided to mess with you
2.) Your boyfriend intentionally 3 way called someone as a prank.

Also, considering they were chuckling and talking to you (messing with you), it has to be a prank. Anyone serious about espionage wouldn't make their presence known.

Upvote 0
Never experienced in the US but happened similar thing to me when I was traveling in India and using a local SIM. I asked my team mate (Indian) and he laughed it off, seemed pretty common in India that the signals interfere and for some odd reason there are 4 members in a call. I am pretty sure, whoever said "thank you emily' heard (if not completely, partially, ruffled) some of what you and your boyfriend talked. The person probably was just equally confused.
(if YOU are Emily, then I would worry, if not, forget it.)

(That said, there is a possibility that someone can hack your phone and call through your phone. My brother who works in telecom showed me once using my phone, but don't know how he did it, neither would he tell me.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones