• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone connects to computer then disappears......?

Ok here is the deal I have tried everything to get this phone to work with my laptop. Im running windows vista 32bit. My file system is NTFS. When I connect the phone to the computer I can mount it then I go to My Computer and I see F: Drive. When I click on it My Computer stops responding and the phone shows that Im not connected to the computer but the computer shows that the device is still connected. Weird? Any help will be thanked....TED

The first thing is probably trying to determine where the problem lies. Try connecting a different Android phone to see if the behavior remains or goes away. If it remains, then likely, there's a Windows problem. If the other phone connects normally, the phone is at fault.

Try connecting (and mounting) your phone to a different PC. If it connects normally, this would indicate the phone being OK. If it does the same as when connected to your machine, you've probably got a problem with the phone that a Factory Data Reset should correct.

In your description, you say that you've tried everything, but you don't describe what everything means to you. To me, everything would include a Factory Data Reset on the Phone, and a possible reload of Vista on the PC. I'm guessing you haven't tried everything!

Please, give more detail on the things that you have tried, and what results you got.

Upvote 0
I have tried everything.. I think its just the laptop I am using (Gateway). I have dug my desktop out of the closet just to give it a quick try and it works, but now I am starting to think the sd card is fubar because when moving files (music and pictures) it transfers some files then windows pops up with an unexpected error. I have restarted both the phone and the computer and it connects again. Still pops up with (paramaters incorrect) error. Would you suggest a format of the sd card with the phone? -Ted

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones