• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone keeps shutting off. Help please?

I read the original post and I think my problems are the same; about a month ago, I was watching a YouTube video on 3G and the phone froze completely. I had to pull the battery. Since then, under heavy use, my HTC Incredible has been rebooting, sometimes in a cycle until I pull the battery. Most noticeably, it happens watching YouTube videos, cycling quickly through photos on the Facebook website, playing Angry Birds for more than 6 minutes or similar heavy use.

I don't remember when the full version of Angry Birds was released, but things I've read and experienced seem to point to that as a culprit.

I was on stock, but since I didn't feel like going into a Verizon store (their solution to my horrible battery life: run an App Killer..derp) I thought I'd try rooting and flashing a new ROM in case it was software. SkyRaider and MIUI have both faced similar issues, though not to the extent stock did. In stock's defense, I used the latter two much less; only a week each so far. Also, with setting up my new system, I didn't have much time for Angry Birds. The first time i played for more than a few minutes was today and this was also the first time MIUI rebooted.

Is this just an overused CPU/overheating battery issue? Seems to defeat the purpose of a multi-tasking smartphone..

Upvote 0
laf - have an evo, but all the problems are the same for evo, incredible, etc...The sprint tech has a rooted evo as well, so he is a good resource since he fixes these everyday. :)

bow - I downloaded Angry Birds about the same time mine started too. I will uninstall it and see if that helps.

Thanks for everyone's help. The sprint tech was working on another phone at the store with the same problem, so I am waiting on him to see if they found a solution. I will report back with any updates.

Upvote 0
I called HTC and talked to their tech department, then they transferred me to a repair department - neither offered any solution other than send us your phone for 3 weeks and we will let you know if we can fix it. I did install a widget called Bat Stat that tells the temp of the battery and once it gets over 96 degrees it reboots.

Upvote 0
Would it be possible that our services are monitoring excessive bandwidth usage and shutting down the phones? I have been having this problem also and It only seems to happen when streaming videos. I recently was streaming while linked to a wireless broadband connection that was not my Verizon and did not have a single issue with "overheating" or shutting off on Its own. I hate to be "that guy" with the conspiracy theory but it Is the only thing that has made any sense to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones