• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Previous iPhone users: I'm sick of your rants

I tried the EVO out at the sprint store today...it seems...average. I noticed that it lags a bit when switching apps. I tried the keyboard and I'm not digging it at all. I already ordered an 32 GB SD card...so I'm not sure if I should keep it or wait for the iphone HD.

Don't rush it... find your fit. I am a HUGE android fan, but I am curious to see what iPhone will be bringing to the table.

Upvote 0
Both platforms have their niche. The iPhone is fascinating, but never was the right fit for me.

What's the niche? People who want to burn $75 a month? People who want a restricted to one app device, slow internet, dropped calls and the inability to do simple things like change a battery?

I mean seriously, tell me what the niche for iphone is. I want to know...

Upvote 0
The problem with some of the iPhone people's comments is that some of them feel the need to completely throw the Evo under the bus based on one or two aspects. Not everyone is like that, but folks who say things like how they're considering the upcoming iPhone just because the Evo doesn't come standard with a multi-touch keyboard. Seriously? Out of the box with a comment like that? Not even considering a 3rd party keyboard?

Or how about some of the media folks who say things like maybe you should hold off on the Evo until they fix the sd card bug which the general public never even knew much about until they themselves made a big deal out of it and got it mentioned with every national Evo story and which Sprint had released a fix for the day of the launch anyway. Are they serious? Saying people should pass over the Evo just for that?

The point is some people have gone out of their way to set the bar so high that it's almost laughable except for the fact that they're actually making a big deal out of this stuff. I don't want to get into politics too much here, but it's almost like the Tea Party folks vs the President in some respect. Just nitpick anything and then pray for something to really go wrong so they can bury the Evo as a failure and claim "See, told you so all along!"
The bias is thick in some places, but I guess that means the Evo has indeed hit the big time.

I made the point below in another thread:
"there has never been a cell phone in history that was perfect for everyone and I feel comfortable saying that there will NEVER be one that is perfect for everyone. You just get the one that has the most overall pieces that work great for you."

Reactions: celeste9000
Upvote 0
I want all you people who just paid an early termination fee to get an evo to remember the following list that iPhone cannot do:

Flash slows web pages down, for me I would rather have better battery

OK, so I just want to be clear. Because you think flash is "slow" you would just rather have a phone with a better battary than even be able to access whatever portion of the web that uses flash.

Whatever.

Upvote 0
Are any of the iTunes lovers also using windows computers? I have always had the fastest computers with great amounts of RAM and iTunes always ran terrible. I was so glad when the day came that i could delete itunes. In fact itunes is one of the things that would keep me from going back to apple in the future. I understand they made a good way for people to sync their photos and music but it was so slow. It would pretty much bring your computer to a stand still.

I know its probably not looked at kindly in a public forum but i like how with android i can listen to music with Music Junk or one of the other programs.

Also i still hold a grudge against apple for holding MMS away for years. It felt like they were pulling a power play just because they could. I was jailbroken so i had Swirly MMS but i shouldnt have to play cat and mouse to do what my old razr could do.
I also dont think iPhone would be giving users multitasking if Android wasnt.
It seems like apple hold features back on purpose every year just to sell more phones the following year. I understand its a business strategy.
The current one is Widgets. Mark my words the iPhone next year (gen5) will have widgets. They could do it now but they dont want to. It will give users a feature to buy next year.
Then the following year they will make 2 different screen sizes for users that want a 4inch screen.

I dont like being played. With apple you are getting played.

Reactions: dannys58 and AM2
Upvote 0
It's hard for me to defend AT&T, it really is. I hated their customer service and I hated their phone service. For a while, I used an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile which was such a better experience, although it was hard to go back to Edge after 3G. I liked my iPhone. I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much as I did though if I wouldn't have jailbroken it. Stock Android beats stock iPhone OS any day of the week. Period. However I still need to comment on your points here because I don't think they're necessarily valid for a lot of people.

1. Multitask!
Multi-tasking is coming natively to iPhone OS 4. You can also multitask by jailbreaking. Don't argue that you shouldn't have to jailbreak, because I know how much everyone loves to root. Same dif.
2. Holy crap FLASH IN YOUR WEB PAGES
In all the years I used an iPhone, I never really cared about accessing flash. TBH I didn't use the browser much, usually just used apps.
3. Switch out the battery
I never needed to switch out the battery. In all honesty, I'm not the type that's going to keep a battery in my pocket at all times "just in case". I realize there are advantages to being able to do so for some people though. Supposedly a removable battery might be coming, but I'll believe it when I see it.
4. Skip iTunes
I've been using iTunes since they released it. For me it's easy because it's already there. True there are advantages to other systems, but for me, iTunes is good. I actually wish it was easier to sync with iTunes with a non-iPhone. When I had a Palm Pre, I actually rolled my iTunes version back so that I could sync it seemlessly.
5. 4G internet
This really won't matter to me until it's widespread. I don't have 4G here, and AT&T's (and T-Mobile's for that matter) 3G is faster than Sprint's.
6. REAL cell phone coverage
Can't argue with you there. When I used an iPhone I couldn't talk more than 10 minutes without the call dropping. This didn't happen with my 2G, and it didn't get horrible until about halfway through my iPhone 3G ownership.
7. Up to 50% less than your AT&T bill.
True. Sprint is cheaper, although they bridged the gap a bit with that $10 charge. I didn't need unlimited talk through AT&T though because rollover minutes were good enough.

Upvote 0
If im on a camping trip i'd rather bring 3 $3 ebay batteries than 3 iphones.

I know, extremely rare and hypothetical situation but still, sometimes you cannot charge your phone.

I disagree with this point as well. You could just as easily buy an external battery pack that can charge the iPhone 3 times before the battery pack needs a charge. It's easier to charge one battery pack then charging 3 seperate batteries.

I know the external pack would work with the Evo as well so I'm not saying it's a negative for the Evo, it's just not really a positive IMO.

Also, to everyone that is a regular here and hates how more and more iPhone people are coming here, you should be happy. It shows that they are contemplating making the switch to Android. Competition is good for everyone, even if your an Apple or Android fanboy. There are just as many or more Android people on iPhone forums as well.

Upvote 0
What's the niche? People who want to burn $75 a month? People who want a restricted to one app device, slow internet, dropped calls and the inability to do simple things like change a battery?

That niche would be those who weigh heavier certain benefits the iPhone has over Android over the benefits Android has over the iPhone. Those benefits might not be important to you, but they might be important to other people. I have both right now and I am trying to make up my mind. My main issues coming from the iPhone mainly deal with notifications and dropped calls. Android and Sprint are superior to what Apple and AT&T currently offer. Those are things that won't change regardless of what is announced tomorrow at WWDC. On the other hand there are a couple of apps I use daily that are not at this time available for Android. Enterprise is another area. Anyone who has a company that forces a strong alphanumeric password has to make a decision to either enter in their password every single time they turn on their phone, use Lockpicker to bypass (that would be a serious violation at my company), or use a program like Touchdown. It's easy to look at it from a 40,000 foot perspective and be dumbfounded by why anyone wouldn't choose what you are championing when considering some of the advantages you mention, but that is assuming most people are using there phone the same way you are and for the same types of things.

Upvote 0
Here in Northern NJ I never exceeded 300K down & ~20k (not a typo) up on AT&T 3G w/my iPhone 3G or 3GS. On Sprint I'm consistently getting 1.1Mb-1.5Mb down and 600k-800K up on 3G. On AT&T I would drop 30-40% of all calls, on Sprint ZERO drops so far. So fugetabout the iPhone, xPhone or the zPhone, AT&T was horrible. If you can't make a call, what good is any phone?

Upvote 0
All from my personal experience:

I've been using the iPhone for about 2 years up to the 3GS. Jailbreaking made it an awesome phone. You guys know about the in and outs with the iPhone already. Lately past half year, I have been keeping up with the Android scene because unlike many others, I like to keep my options open.

Ever since I got the iPad when it came out, I rarely used my iPhone anymore, unless it was for calling and texting. I was paying $80 for my part of the family plan each month. It started to seem like a lot more when I don't even use my iPhone that much other than reasons stated above. By switching to the family plan on Sprint, I'm going to be paying about $45-50 for my part on the Evo. Basically, I get the best of both worlds having the iPad + Evo.

In addition, I started rotations 2 months ago and I didn't get a signal at all in the hospital last month. Then my preceptor at the clinic I am at now said past students didn't get service with their iPhone, but I do so with my HTC Hero (waiting on a shipment of Evos to come in this week to switch over). I'll get at least 2 bars with Sprint and got 0 with ATT.

ps. It's nice to see people admit that the iPhone is a great device. If you keep up at all with the forums at MacRumors, it's pretty sad to see how close minded the users are when you bring up the word Android, Evo, etc up in a thread. It disgusts me to be quite honest lol, but it's their loss if they think the iPhone is the one and only device out there worth owning. I see it here and there at this forum, but nowhere to the level that exists over there.

Upvote 0
Here in Northern NJ I never exceeded 300K down & ~20k (not a typo) up on AT&T 3G w/my iPhone 3G or 3GS. On Sprint I'm consistently getting 1.1Mb-1.5Mb down and 600k-800K up on 3G. On AT&T I would drop 30-40% of all calls, on Sprint ZERO drops so far. So fugetabout the iPhone, xPhone or the zPhone, AT&T was horrible. If you can't make a call, what good is any phone?

kbps or kB/s...? curious..

Upvote 0
OK, so I just want to be clear. Because you think flash is "slow" you would just rather have a phone with a better battary than even be able to access whatever portion of the web that uses flash.

Whatever.

Flash doesn't work that well on touch devices. Aside from the fact that it's intensive on the machine to actually render the stuff — much of Flash is based off of hovering of a cursor. Touch devices don't have cursors, and therefore don't have hover. Many things in Flash will simply not function correctly and will provide a bad user experience.

Touch browsers are able to compensate for this in HTML code by making one click the hover, then the second click the actual click —*but this won't work in Flash.

I'm 100% content having no Flash on my mobile devices. In fact, I welcome it.

Upvote 0

Folks who like simplicity and do not ever have a need for serious customization. Some people are nervous when it comes to cloud computing.

Now, I could get downright condescending, but I'll restrain myself :D. I still have friends with iPhones.

Upvote 0
Another rant thread about... people ranting.

...meh, grow up IMO. You should use these forums to discuss your likes and dislikes about the phone and spend less time discussing your likes and dislikes about how people communicate. Threads like this closely resemble that stereo-type pointed towards apple fans. Pot calling kettle black sorta thing...

Upvote 0
1. Multitasking will literally exist tomorrow.
2. Flash on Android is a negative thing for me. Slower webpages to load what are mostly ads.
3. I've never needed to switch batteries, but valid point.
4. I love iTunes, and Android not synching with it is a negative for me.
5. 4G for the win!
6. Service for the win!
7. Lower plan prices rock too!

The theme here for me is that AT&T is what's wrong with the iPhone. The phone itself is still a remarkable piece of tech. To blindly say otherwise is an idiotic statement.

You may prefer Android for any number of reasons - that's cool. I've had an iPhone for 3 years and just ordered an Evo. I am in love with my iPhone, but I couldn't put up with AT&T any longer.

To me, the Evo is about 85% as good as the iPhone, which was enough to make me switch services. Evo has some better features, iPhone has some better features — in the end it was the cell provider.

If iPhone was on a non-AT&T provider, I'd never leave.

I agree AT&T is what hurts the iPhone

Upvote 0
How bout we stop comparing all together. I happen to like Apple, as well as HTC, RIM, Samsung, etc! A lot of these rants are from new jacks that don't know any better. I have the EVO and love it, and to be fair, comparing it to the 3Gs is not fare because the 3Gs is about a year old. Within the next couple of weeks we'll have a more fare smack down between the EVO and the 4 generation iPhone . gotta love the tech world at this moment in time.....Awesome devices every where you turn!

so you're saying its like comparing apples and ora..err i mean Evos...right?

Upvote 0
ps. It's nice to see people admit that the iPhone is a great device. If you keep up at all with the forums at MacRumors, it's pretty sad to see how close minded the users are when you bring up the word Android, Evo, etc up in a thread. It disgusts me to be quite honest lol, but it's their loss if they think the iPhone is the one and only device out there worth owning. I see it here and there at this forum, but nowhere to the level that exists over there.

I've been a member at Macrumors for a coupe years and I can honestly say that the only reason people are bitter about the discussion if other platforms is because the posters are either creating a mirrorof a thread that is a few lines down or their main idea is attacking the iPhone. Of course its not going to fare well with the community.

If you check out the Nexus One thread, everybody is open minded. There's actual constructive discussion going on. I spent a lot of time and learned a lot of stuff in there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones