Price without contract?

Last Updated:

1. EKG

EKG Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have been seeing the $199 thrown about...is that the price with a new 2 year contract? I would assume so...do we know yet what the price will be if we *don't* have an upgrade?

Advertisement
  2. damstr

damstr Well-Known Member

It's safe to say the price should be between $500 and $599 I'd say.

3. MaxxVE

MaxxVE Well-Known Member

I'm looking for the exact same thing... Sold my Incredible to help pay for the X.

4. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Expect the X to cost you $600 at least (including tax). Sell your Droid Eris on Ebay for at least some money to help pay for the X.

5. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say at least, I would say this is the most without tax.

6. irishpride

irishpride Well-Known Member

I too will be selling my Inc to pay for the X, or if I'm lucky I can just trade it plus some cash to someone who decides they want the Inc instead of the X.

I'm thinking that it will be between $549 - $579 out of contract. Just take a look at what the cost is for some of the better selling phones on VZWs website or even Amazon.com.

7. EKG

I plan to...but I can't yet (it is my only phone and I can't go til July 15th with no phone).

8. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I'm saying that when you buy the X, then go ahead and sell your Droid Eris.

9. MaxxVE

MaxxVE Well-Known Member

Hmm... waiting may very well cost you hundreds of dollars. If you can come up with an old phone to use it may be beneficial. I'm back on my blackberry curve for the next 20-something days.

EDIT: I take that back, I thought you had an incredible. The Eris will still go down in price but not as drastically as the incredible. I can imagine that once the X is released no one or very few will wait for an incredible.

10. EKG

Ok I hear ya! Yeah, I plan to for sure.

No doubt. If I could only find an old phone...but I think we got rid of them all. Dang it. I have my old iPhone but that obviously isn't going to work! Yep I have an Eris...did some research on Google, and surprisingly, they are selling for like $150! Crazy!!! I never expected that when you can find some sites selling them for almost free.

11. MooN

MooN Well-Known Member

If you can trade the Inc with someone who is new to Verizon and have them get you a Droid X, can you get the Asurion insurance/1 year warranty on the Droid X?

12. MaxxVE

MaxxVE Well-Known Member

No, not technically. Both owners would then be out of luck because neither the insurance or warranty transfers.

However, sometimes if you sign up for the insurance it just stays on your line and they never check it when you switch phones. Probably wouldn't want to count on that though.

13. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Well-Known Member

Sprint held the retail price of the Evo at $449.99 with no contract. Here's to hoping that Verizon follows suite so the people willing to pay full price don't get whacked quite as hard. I have no faith in that actually occurring however. I'm guessing $599, but again pure guess, no real evidence. At 450 or 499 I'm definitely interested in a little switcharoo by selling off the Incredible and snagging an X, but I wont pay 600+ more of just a quirk than any real financial strain.

So, lets hope that someone pointed that Evo pricing out to the execs, and then cross our fingers that they care.

14. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

The X is sexy, but since tech changes so quickly, I will stick with the Inc. Think about it- most people were in a froth about the Inc and then the EVO and now the X comes along.

Kind of like being stuck on an island with someone and thinking they are hot, but then someone hotter comes along and your perspective changes.

In summary: These freakin' phones are a perpetual money pit! Word.

15. rushmore

That was a little different since base fab and tooling costs for the EVO were already rolled up and covered with the HD2. The X is a new production beast and also has a brand new 3630 omap. I expect $600 to be the price.

16. rushmore

I think the X and Inc mainly cater to two different types. X will be too big for a lot of folks and as a result, considered less practical.

Probably media freaks will mainly get the X and people that want a great smartphone that covers media function, but not as big will get the Inc.

Like the EVO, the X is freakin uuuuge' mate. ;)

17. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Well-Known Member

I don't buy that theory. The Incredible and Desire are just as similar as the HD2 and the Evo, yet both have a higher MSRP. The Evo is cheap because Sprint needs customers badly.

It would be awesome if $450 became the newish industry standard because as someone mentioned its both an awesome and awful time to be a tech happy person. Things are advancing so rapidly that its nearly a blinding pace. Techphiles would be happy because they could basically upgrade for $50-200 based on the value of their old phone every time something new they wanted released. The carriers keep people on their contracts happy, less people jumping ship for other phones, etc. I mean its silly when its virtually the same or cheaper to cancel your plan and resub (350 ETF+200 = 550 still < 599) than it is to buy a phone to activate on your current line.(Google Voice especially makes this very tempting, cares what carrier you have just use your GV number) That makes it too tempting to jump to the greener grass. I mean if your going to have to pay 600, why not jump to ATT for Super phone G? or Sprint for Y? At that point its a much more iffy proposition to keep customers. People accept it because thats the way it's been. Its nice to see that change at least in one instance.

18. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

I think it is $699 atleast thats what i saw on one site dont know how accurate this is

19. garland

garland Active Member

Site?
    Verizon didn't even announce the pricing for full retail so I'm doubtful anyone would believe you on that price as smartphones are being priced from $500-$600.

20. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

I'm just sayin that's what I saw with one of the hands on demos so take it for what it is

21. Wolfedude88

I would be completely shocked if it was 699, I really don't think it will be more than 600. But I guess you never know.

22. bennec

bennec Well-Known Member

I would be shocked if the phone were more than 549.00. That was the list/retail price of the Motorola Droid. And I do not believe they will exceed that simply because folks can just terminate their contract early and come out cheaper buying another great smartphone for 199.00 with a new contract.

Whatever the price is, it is absolutely absurd that Verizon hasn't already made that information known. I am sure folks qualifying for the 199.00 upgrade are very much in the minority. Most folks are locked into a new 2 year contract since they purchased either the Moto Droid or HTC Incedible and will have to pay full price for the Droid X. It would be nice if Verizon would let folks know the price so they can budget and plan accordingly if they are thinking of buying.

As well, I feel Verizon should allow folks who recently purchased their Moto Droid's to upgrade to the X for a cheaper price. I feel robbed that I have only had my Droid for 3 months. But that will not happen either I'm sure.

Finally, I wonder if Verizon will even allow folks to pre-order just the phone that do not qualify for an early upgrade. It's all about the contracts, so they may not allow pre-orders if you aren't extending your contract. That is assuming they take pre-orders at all.

23. Wolfedude88

umm.. the Droid on Verizon right now is listed for 559.99

24. Sheba611

Sheba611 Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat on the out of contract pricing. I even sent an email to Customer Support at VZW to ask about the price and they replied that it would not be known until July 15th:

"Good afternoon! My name is Lizet. I certainly understand your inquiry regarding your interest in the Motorola Droid X pricing at retail price. At this time, because the phone doesn't launch until July 15th the retail pricing has not yet been disclosed. You may go online at phones.verizonwireless.com/droid/x/ and enter your email address to receive notifications on that specific handset. I want to apologize for the inconvenience that this might have caused.

Txxxxx, I have informed you that at this time, the retail pricing for the Motorola Droid X has not been disclosed at this time. I want to thank you for being the most important part of Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this email.

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Lizet Q.
    Verizon Wireless
    Customer Service"

I got my Blackberry Storm 2 back in January and I have to wait 14 months for an upgrade or pay full price (whatever that will be) and go on month to month plan. :(

25. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

The Evo is at $450. So if Verizon still want to make the X compete against the Evo at MSRP, it shouldn't be too far from that pricing.