• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help PROBLEM: Gorilla Gadgets 3500 mAh Ext. Battery

Balla0529

Lurker
Aug 10, 2012
Howdy folks!

Recently, I was referred to the company Gorilla Gadgets by a coworker. I looked into their products, and after reading positive reviews I delved into the purchase.

I received their extended battery 3 days after making my purchase, so I was impressed with their shipping. I immediately swapped in their battery and did the intial 8-10 hour charge they recommend. Everything was working good up until the end of day two. My phone began to randomly black-out (completely shut down it seems) whenever I sent a text message, placed a phone call, or opened my email. What made it worse was the fact that I couldn't just turn my phone back on - it wouldn't - I had to do a battery pull every time. I let it go up until day five where it got to the point that I was battery pulling every 2-4 minutes. I finally said, "F**k this," and went home and put my Samsung 2100 mAh battery back in.

The next morning I got on the horn with Gorilla Gadgets, and worked with Nancy. I described my problem to her and she immediatly sent me out a replacement battery, so I was impressed with their customer service. I received the new battery yesterday in the mail, and swapped it in last night at 12:00am and charged it until 10:00am this morning for the initial 8-10 hour charge. Today is day one, and my phone is still randomly blacking-out, and I'm having to do a battery-pull every time in order to get my phone back on. The catch is, that this time it's doing it randomly - I was looking through my text messages and it cut off, but it's still shutting off when I send them too.

Clearly, at this point, I am VERY unimpressed with their product. I am a very short-tempered individual, and this battery has got me heated. I have come to these forums in search of help!

I'm aware that Mugen and Seidio make an identical extended life battery, and are substantially more expensive, but will I have these same problems? I truly have no clue what to do; I have sent Gorilla Gadgets an email asking for any troubleshooting or advice that they may offer. Does anyone have any previous experience with this company and their products?

As a side note, I recently paid for and installed the JuiceDefender Ultimate application via Google Play - are there any known issues with this app. that may cause the symptoms I'm having?

Please, advise and assist!
Thank you for your time,
James

*I am in no way affiliated or associated with Gorilla Gadgets or any of its extremities.*

Hello again, I'm responding in order to alleviate future frustrations that my fellow Nexus owners may encounter.

I strongly recommend that you do not purchase that extended battery from Gorilla Gadgets. After three batteries, and their customer service representative finally submitting that their product is incompatible with the phone it's designed for - great company, clearly - it has been officially-unofficially decided that the Gorilla Gadgets product is a piece of poop. :eek: It is a 50/50 chance that their product will work with the phone, because there is a "manufacturing gap" in the bridge between the two products. :rolleyes:

I have happily gone with the Seidio 3800 mAh extended battery and Convert Case - I wouldn't have it any other way. Without a battery saving application, and an obnoxious amount of crap running on stand-by, my phone will last a full 24 hours - I highly recommend it. :D

*I am in no way affiliated or associated with Seidio or any of its extremities.*

Upvote 0
Hello again, I'm responding in order to alleviate future frustrations that my fellow Nexus owners may encounter.

I strongly recommend that you do not purchase that extended battery from Gorilla Gadgets. After three batteries, and their customer service representative finally submitting that their product is incompatible with the phone it's designed for - great company, clearly - it has been officially-unofficially decided that the Gorilla Gadgets product is a piece of poop. :eek: It is a 50/50 chance that their product will work with the phone, because there is a "manufacturing gap" in the bridge between the two products. :rolleyes:

I have happily gone with the Seidio 3800 mAh extended battery and Convert Case - I wouldn't have it any other way. Without a battery saving application, and an obnoxious amount of crap running on stand-by, my phone will last a full 24 hours - I highly recommend it. :D

*I am in no way affiliated or associated with Seidio or any of its extremities.*

I'm also using the Seidio 3800......its awesome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones