• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems after upgrade? Factory reset!

Definitely get on the phone to vzw...

I called VZW and was immediately routed to level 2. They shipped me a refurb/replacement handset which arrived with baseline ICS which immediately updated itself to the latest ICS version.

Here's hoping we don't get the JB update pushed to our phones until they work out the issue. FWIW, the root cause was the contacts app/database failed to work. This caused the phone and google voice apps and the google contact sync to all fail. A phone is not much of a phone without the phone app....

Props to VZW for not wasting any time and simply replacing the handset. Of course I could have simply ODIN'ed the baseline ICS myself but that probably would have blown my warranty for no good reason.

Reactions: SUroot
Upvote 0
My wife has the Samsung Galaxy S, the first phone in the galaxy line, she recently did an upgrade to something with gingerbread, I believe it was the last offical update for gingerbread, ever since she did, her phone has been acting up, she has tried factory reset, taking the battery out and restarting, nothing has worked, she doesn't like spending money on phones, but it looks like we are going to have to break down and get her a phone

Upvote 0
I did a reset after having lots of little problems post jelly bean. So far it seems great and I was much more selective about the apps I put back on. If anyone is having battery issues I highly recommend juice defender. It's not a placebo, it tells you exactly what it's doing and when and it's fully customizable. The more you use it the better it gets. I was getting a 10% per hour drain before (I work in an area with spotty coverage) and its already dropped a few percent per hour.

Upvote 0
In home screen, long press "menu" button (left of home), menu, settings, google now, theres an on/off switch at top right mate ;)

Good to know re: your instructions for turning it off - very helpful!

So I couldn't tell, but does Google Now default to being "on" when you update to JB? I just received my phone that had already been updated to JB and curious if that's why my battery life is low.

On a side note, I'll probably do a factory reset just to be sure since I just received my phone and could tell it was doing several updates while activating - it's hard for me to trust that everything works well when you inundate your phone/system with all of that at once....maybe it's just me :)

Upvote 0
Can i just add (if someone hasnt already) the samsung approved way of factory reset after an update
Status of "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" AFTER Jelly Bean? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Post #3

Is this complete BS or is there any good reason behind all this battery stuff?
Thoughts?
(I didnt do it...maybe i should)

Holy sh$*! I just read through that from the Samsung rep...What the!? A 40 minute wait after pulling the battery seems insane. I've always heard that 30 seconds was enough, which applies to most electronics to truly discharge all power sources and clear mem.

Anyone mind sharing their favorite factory reset method? I haven't seen one posted, but will continue searching the forums. Sorry if this has been answered. I just didn't see anything with an initial search and this one referenced above seems ludicrous :p

Upvote 0
Hi All

Dont know where else to post, hope here is ok.

Basically my S3 after the JB update has been laggy (even with simple things like contacts etc) so I thought I would do a Factory Reset and go back to ICS, however I just did the reset but its still showing as 4.1.1 in settings???

How do I get back to ICS? Cause its still laggy even right after the reset??

Upvote 0
Um the international one? I brought in here in NZ.

Contacts takes a good 3-6 seconds, same with other simpl things etc, homescreen after swipe to unlock etc.

I only got the phone a few weeks before JB update and ICS was smooth and working flawlessly none of the lag I'm getting now. I read around the internet and apparently lots of people are getting the lag etc that I am with the update.

Upvote 0
Contacts was always slow to open for me the first time since a boot. Because its not in RAM.

There are flashing guides here to flash back to stock using Odin. Edit > the guide is on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1671969

You can get stock roms from this page.

SamMobile Firmware Page

Just go to the drop downs half way down the page and put your details in only has NZ Voda and NZC though. No idea what that means.

Upvote 0
Hmm, it seems slow the vast majority of the time now for me, like if I open contacts it takes a few seconds, but if I close and go back in its quick, but put the phone down for a minute and try again and its slow again. Hell my old LG P500 was faster than this. Its only really happened since the update.

So there's no easy way to go back from samsung? Gah does anyone know if they are aware there is a problem with their update and all and are fixing?

Upvote 0
Upgraded to 4.1.2 from 4.0.4 today.
Both are the official Samsung releases.

JB all works but is very laggy and games aren't working as well as they should.

I'm happy to do a factory reset...but
- I've got a terrible wifi connection at home, it would take about 10 hours to download big games like GTA and Need for Speed again! Do the backup programs save apps so they dont need redownloading?
- If I use something like Titanium backup, would it recover my save game files?

thanks

Upvote 0
Good to know re: your instructions for turning it off - very helpful!

So I couldn't tell, but does Google Now default to being "on" when you update to JB? I just received my phone that had already been updated to JB and curious if that's why my battery life is low.

On a side note, I'll probably do a factory reset just to be sure since I just received my phone and could tell it was doing several updates while activating - it's hard for me to trust that everything works well when you inundate your phone/system with all of that at once....maybe it's just me :)

Sarcasm? Txt is hard to feel :)

Upvote 0
Set last 3 of these settings as so
uploadfromtaptalk1357365215967.jpg
To make things more snappy, .,...set lower if u want but i find it too ugly

Upvote 0
Has anyone heard if Samsung is aware and is planning on addressing these issues?

I contacted support and did all of what they said but nothing has worked, in the end they said take it back to the place of purchase for it to get assessed, but I just know that will A. Take ages, and B. They wont find anything "wrong" as the phone works, its performance is just crap worse than my old P500.

Its a brand new phone (just over a month old now) and I don't want to void my warranty by rooting the thing which as far as I know is the only way to go back or get a stable proper version of JB working????

Upvote 0
Has anyone heard if Samsung is aware and is planning on addressing these issues?

I contacted support and did all of what they said but nothing has worked, in the end they said take it back to the place of purchase for it to get assessed, but I just know that will A. Take ages, and B. They wont find anything "wrong" as the phone works, its performance is just crap worse than my old P500.

Its a brand new phone (just over a month old now) and I don't want to void my warranty by rooting the thing which as far as I know is the only way to go back or get a stable proper version of JB working????

It's not really a Samsung issue specifically. Any device that receives OTA updates or even full OS upgrade (including Windows).

Full official samsung ROMs can be flashed using Odin without root

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones