• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Question about S-OFF

Pucuck

Jun 29, 2010
Ohio
So I rooted my Thunderbolt and unlocked the bootloader. I had Das-Bamf 2.0-5 running and decided to go back to stock. I followed the instructions on XDA on how to revert back to stock OS but I decided to not flash back the bootloader incase I needed it to be open for something. Will I need to flash the bootloader to S-ON so that I can receive any future updates from Verizon and not brick my phone?

I do not believe anything bad would happen,but If the ota includes a new bootloader,it will overwrite your s-off bootloader,and you'll be back to s-on anyway :eek:

However...

Some past ruus, when flashed via hboot over rooted firmware have produced the "security warning" Wich CAN brick your phone.

I do not think an ota over your "everything stock except engineering bootloader" phone would produce the same result,but it is theoretically possible.

Safest thing IMO,would be to go ahead and flash the s-on bootloader. An ota is likely to take it away from you anyway.

Reactions: Pucuck
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones