• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about WiFi speed

Semantics

Lurker
Nov 22, 2009
I have no issues connecting to my WiFi router at home, and my other devices use it fine, and with no speed issues. My laptop for instance gets 8-10 mbits or so, but my phone for some reason when I run a speed test, or even browse, I get speeds that are very Ev Do like, 1200ish kbits down, 700 up. I've been connected to wireless routers in other places and get 3500 kbits down and 900ish up, but I'm just curious as to why every other device on my wireless network is fast, yet my Hero is so slow connection wise? Its been this way since day 1, and my router is about 10 feet from my phone at all times, so its not a distance issue.

welcome to the site!

the phone has to process the data and the processor is the bottleneck. this is one reason you see a difference in speed measurements. distance is not the issue, it owudl be signal vs. noise. you can be right next to the router/AP but if you have a microwave or some other machine using the same frequency as your AP, that can cause your pone to not "hear" the AP properly and can result in lower perceived speed.

i would not worry about anything, i think your phone is fine. dont give those speed test numbers any real weight. if you wanted to make sure you were on your router and not on the cellular network, just turn off the phones cellular radio and perform your tests thru wifi...

Upvote 0
I would also suggest turning off the mobile network with the widget or in settings and then connecting wi-fi and running the speed test again. I bet it was possibly confused on which network to use.

I thought I had previously read somewhere that there is no need to turn off mobile network first because the phone automatically defaults to wifi if available?

Has anyone really noticed any difference in turning mobile off first and then connecting to wifi? I would test it here at work but I honestly think the wireless here is slower.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones