• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question for anyone familiar with Outlook & Business Calendar(2)

ZepTepi

Android Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2011
San Diego, CA
I've used Business Calendar for the last 3-4 years and have loved it. I recently moved to their new Business Calendar 2 app and have so far been happy. Unfortunately I've been having a hard time getting my new work email client(Outlook 365) calendar to work with BC2. I added the account to my phones(S5) account list as a Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync account and it now shows up in BC2 but I can't get the calendar events to show up. I also had a notification request pop up on my phone that is asking my to "Activate phone administrator" so that the Outlook server can control the security features of my phone seemingly without my approval. If granted it would apparently be able to factory reset my phone, disable the cameras, and lock/unlock the screen, as well as a number of other things. Why would an Outlook server need to have that control over someones phone? I did request help from the company that created BC2 but have not received a reply yet.

Any help figuring this out would be much appreciated.

I've used Business Calendar for the last 3-4 years and have loved it. I recently moved to their new Business Calendar 2 app and have so far been happy. Unfortunately I've been having a hard time getting my new work email client(Outlook 365) calendar to work with BC2. I added the account to my phones(S5) account list as a Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync account and it now shows up in BC2 but I can't get the calendar events to show up. I also had a notification request pop up on my phone that is asking my to "Activate phone administrator" so that the Outlook server can control the security features of my phone seemingly without my approval. If granted it would apparently be able to factory reset my phone, disable the cameras, and lock/unlock the screen, as well as a number of other things. Why would an Outlook server need to have that control over someones phone? I did request help from the company that created BC2 but have not received a reply yet.

Any help figuring this out would be much appreciated.

Data security most likely. Exchange is mainly enterprise and corporate use isn't it? AFAIK organizations and companies using Outlook and Exchange that allows their staff to BYOD with phones, they must have a six digit PIN or secure password, fully encrypt the devices, and be able to remotely reset and erase them, to protect any confidential data that might be stored on the devices. And it's something that Outlook actively enforces and requires. In this case you're the "phone administrator", if it's your Outlook server.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZepTepi
Upvote 0
Security requirements vary by business and are configured by the Exchange admin.

The control is meant to prevent loss or theft of intellectual property in the event your phone is lost or stolen or the user is found untrustworthy.

To get to the Exchange calendars use Team Calendar Sync from the Play Store. It's the missing Exchange link for Android.

To avoid Exchange mail security headaches see if setting up on your phone as IMAP is an option.

Reactions: ZepTepi and mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones