• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Questions about Overclocking, upgrading and more

So i recently ordered myself a sony ericsson xperia play from ebay. I wanted to know the pros, cons and dangers of overclocking my device. I'd also like to know the same for updating to android 4.0 on a custom rom. and one last question. I currently have a 4gb SD card, which works fine in my current phone since all i have on it is music, but i was wondering if the 4gb will be enough for an xperia play (with games on) or if i should consider upgrading, and if so, to how much memory?

thanks in advance:)

So i recently ordered myself a sony ericsson xperia play from ebay. I wanted to know the pros, cons and dangers of overclocking my device. I'd also like to know the same for updating to android 4.0 on a custom rom. and one last question. I currently have a 4gb SD card, which works fine in my current phone since all i have on it is music, but i was wondering if the 4gb will be enough for an xperia play (with games on) or if i should consider upgrading, and if so, to how much memory?

thanks in advance:)

Hello and welcome to the forums, Sporkplays.

First of all, let me move your questions/thread to the Xperia Play All Things Root sub-forum, which is populated by a community of like-minded Play users. .... *bink!* ... done. ;)

While you're here, have a look at this sticky:

http://androidforums.com/play-all-t...l-things-root-guide-updated-11-19-2011-a.html which contains links to just about all you'll need to know about how to root and modify your great device.

Reactions: Sporkplays
Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to the forums, Sporkplays.

First of all, let me move your questions/thread to the Xperia Play All Things Root sub-forum, which is populated by a community of like-minded Play users. .... *bink!* ... done. ;)

While you're here, have a look at this sticky:

http://androidforums.com/play-all-t...l-things-root-guide-updated-11-19-2011-a.html which contains links to just about all you'll need to know about how to root and modify your great device.

thanks for this reply, and i appreciate you moving my thread i didn't realise there was a section for it. I read that page and the disclaimer said that there was a possibility of boot looping or bricking my phone. I'd like to know the chances of doing either of these things and what exactly they mean /if they are fixable

Upvote 0
thanks for this reply, and i appreciate you moving my thread i didn't realise there was a section for it. I read that page and the disclaimer said that there was a possibility of boot looping or bricking my phone. I'd like to know the chances of doing either of these things and what exactly they mean /if they are fixable

You'll get varying opinions about "chances" on bad things happening during or following a root exploit procedure for your device.

My policy is this:

Go

Real

Slow

:D

Kidding aside, the instructions are there, and the experienced users with their devices are here too. If you think you really do need to root your device, for whatever reasons(s), such as removing bloatware, overclocking, etc, then just take each step in the outlined procedure you've chosen and read the steps over and over all the way through prior to doing anything... then

Go

Real

Slow

I've rooted many devices, and now have a stock non-rooted Note 2 and a rooted wifi only Galaxy Tab 2. As I see it, overclocking either would be not needed and a bit foolhardy, as both devices are fast, no lag, etc.

Also, most customizations can be done with 3rd party launchers available at Play Store; most free and with many many too many themes, icons and wallpapers, etc. :)

Anyway, read around... do as you wish, but I'd advise ... oh, never mind; I don't give advice on whether or not to root.. just my experiences if asked. :D

Reactions: Sporkplays
Upvote 0
You'll get varying opinions about "chances" on bad things happening during or following a root exploit procedure for your device.

My policy is this:

Go

Real

Slow

:D

Kidding aside, the instructions are there, and the experienced users with their devices are here too. If you think you really do need to root your device, for whatever reasons(s), such as removing bloatware, overclocking, etc, then just take each step in the outlined procedure you've chosen and read the steps over and over all the way through prior to doing anything... then

Go

Real

Slow

I've rooted many devices, and now have a stock non-rooted Note 2 and a rooted wifi only Galaxy Tab 2. As I see it, overclocking either would be not needed and a bit foolhardy, as both devices are fast, no lag, etc.

Also, most customizations can be done with 3rd party launchers available at Play Store; most free and with many many too many themes, icons and wallpapers, etc. :)

Anyway, read around... do as you wish, but I'd advise ... oh, never mind; I don't give advice on whether or not to root.. just my experiences if asked. :D

Haha big thank you mate you've really helped me out alot, i think the overclocking idea is because the n64 emulators are so enticing and with the 1.0ghz processor the games aren't that pleasant to play from what i've seen, and if they were a little bit smoother it'd be perfect.

anyways once again a huge thanks for the reply, you've been a great help :)

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones