• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Recovery] Twrp v3 for Zte Zmax Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone can promise $120 to replace my phone then sure I will do it right now....

Also
"Only thing left is to try and see what happens if that's indeed DFU mode..."
Check the picture I posted, it says that it's DFU mode. I did install the drivers that were posted and that's probably why I was able to see it.

Wouldn't our phones potentially refuse to boot after flashing a custom recovery because of Android's secure boot policies and what not?

I'm not sure how it works and I'm probably just misinterpreting it but I thought Marshmellow and above devices will refuse to boot if the system's been altered without an unlocked bootloader?

Upvote 0
http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/366030-dfu-tool-for-bricked-zte-blade-3-not-working-on-windows-8/
I've found a tool for flashing firmware via DFU mode... I'm scared shitless, I don't want to try... The links are above for any soul who dares to attempt this.

Wouldn't our phones potentially refuse to boot after flashing a custom recovery because of Android's secure boot policies and what not?
There is an option in developer options to allow unlocking of the bootloader. That should be enough for the phone to boot with altered code. It works on Samsung devices, why not the Zmax?

If you do not enable "OEM Bootloader unlocking" in the first place, the flashing process WILL fail. I've learned this the hard way when trying to flash TWRP on my Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Core Prime.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
https://androidmtk.com/flash-stock-rom-using-dfu
https://androidmtk.com/download-dfu-flash-tool
I've found a qualcomm tool for flashing firmware via DFU mode... I'm scared shitless, I don't want to try... The links are above for any soul who dares to attempt this.

There is an option in developer options to allow unlocking of the bootloader. That should be enough for the phone to boot with altered code. It works on Samsung devices, why not the Zmax?

If you do not enable "OEM Bootloader unlocking" in the first place, the flashing process WILL fail. I've learned this the hard way when trying to flash TWRP on my Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Core Prime.
The tool doesn't have an option to flash just recovery but the tool for the blade 3 does. It also supports Qualcomm chipset..

Reactions: anubis2048
Upvote 0

You could try the "adb reboot disemmwcp" command too after enabling unlock, seems like I remember someone saying a ways back that for some of the ZTE phones, the developer option enabled the unlock, then the adb command actually unlocked it.

Upvote 0
No there is not...
So there's no going back if this fails... When you do get enough money for your device and if this fails... What then? I really hope the Zmax is more tolerant of faulty recoveries than LG devices are. I want to help out, but I have no spare cash. Do you think I should give it a try or wait for you to get enough money for the device? If this works you might not even need to get a testing unit.

Reactions: lambo352
Upvote 0
So there's no going back if this fails... When you do get enough money for your device and if this fails... What then? I really hope the Zmax is more tolerant of faulty recoveries than LG devices are. I want to help out, but I have no spare cash. Do you think I should give it a try or wait for you to get enough money for the device? If this works you might not even need to get a testing unit.
If it failed i will refund the donations per request , it's better to wait for me to get the device, be sure that you will have root for the zmax pro once i get a device :cool:, i won't join this work if i don't see a light :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hey i have been trying to flash to my daily driver not caring if i get stock in europe with a flip phone.. but what exactly do i have to press

If you're daring, anubis wrote a set of details how to supposedly flash in DFU mode. Whether it will really work or not... we won't know until someone tries.

Everyone check out the release thread of TWRP... We now have access to DFU mode!
***UPDATE***
***BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING***
***ENABLE OEM UNLOCKING***
***ANY ATTEMPT TO FLASH WITH OEM UNLOCKING DISABLED WILL FAIL***
I found the qualcomm flashing tool.
https://androidmtk.com/flash-stock-rom-using-dfu - ONLY FOR FULL FIRMWARE FLASHING

This tool can flash recovery only, which is what we need.
http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/366030-dfu-tool-for-bricked-zte-blade-3-not-working-on-windows-8/ (Thanks Lambo!)

To enter DFU mode power off your Zmax Pro and unplug it.
Power on the device while holding VOL UP and VOL DOWN at the same time until the screen is black with the home button glowing.

Install these drivers to allow your PC to connect to your phone in DFU mode.
http://gsmusbdriver.com/zte-zmax-pro (Thanks Lambo!)

After you are in DFU mode plug your phone into your PC and it should show up in device manager as the picture below.

Attempt to flash Messi2050's TWRP image at your own risk. It hasn't been tested yet, and we wont know if it works until someone takes that leap of faith.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/p4x10tb46jfcijq/twrp+v3+for+zte+zmax+pro+beta+1.zip
Thanks Messi2050!

Good luck to those who dare flashing the recovery.

Upvote 0
Just to make something clear, flashing a recovery should never brick a phone (even if the recovery is corrupt) unless u flashed it to the wrong partition ex:system/boot partitions
In case u flashed a recovery that's not compaitable with your phone you won't have access to the recovery but the system should still work normally

Upvote 0
If you're daring, anubis wrote a set of details how to supposedly flash in DFU mode. Whether it will really work or not... we won't know until someone tries.

I tried it but because it is missing a Variant file for our phone. it is giving me an Error: please select a valid variant file before proceed to download page. And all other function is not working without it as well.

The phone is in DFU mode and driver is installed for Handset Diagnostic Interface (DFU) but when I tried to installed the ZTE Handset Diagnostic interface(DFU). It gave me an error saying Driver is not intended for this platform. I tried other ways to installed it. But it just won't install.

The Handset Diagnostic driver I have installed is from ZTE. It just not the one that was in that post.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyanidekid
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones