• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Regarding 3g wifi hotspot

Hi there..
I m from India, using Idea cellular service..
My GPRS connection is 2G, not 3G. It is an unlimited usage plan.
But still 3G wifi hotspot is working and i m able to access internet on my notebook..
What i want to know is that
1) since my plan is unlimited, is the internet usage on my notebook through wifi hotspot is aslo free, or is it chargeable..??

2)And does the '3g wifi hotspot' work for both 2G and 3G (as it is workig in my case), or is it using 3G service of my service provider..Coz if it is, then it can result in high cost that i may have to pay for using 3G services..

Kindly help..!!
Thnx in advance..

I can't answer the last question, but you won't be charged for using wifi tethering if they don't find out you're doing it(which they shouldn't). However, if your data usage suddenly jumps up 1000% this could in some cases be enough to tip them off. And also, you wanna read your fine print...not all unlimited plans are truly unlimited.

Upvote 0
since my plan is unlimited, is the internet usage on my notebook through wifi hotspot is aslo free, or is it chargeable..??
You'd have to ask your carrier. Or someone else using your carrier who knows.

And does the '3g wifi hotspot' work for both 2G and 3G (as it is workig in my case), or is it using 3G service of my service provider..Coz if it is, then it can result in high cost that i may have to pay for using 3G services..
You said you were on GPRS. You can't use 3G if you don't have 3G coverage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones