• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [Resolved] Nexus 6 uses a Nano-Sim Card

I had an original Nexus that had a normal sized sim card, then I got the Note 2 and had to trim it down. So I was wondering if anyone knows yet what size sim the Nexus 6 takes? Will the one in my Note 2 work?

Straight from the source,MOTOROLA,the NEXUS 6 uses a Nano SIM Card:

Nexus 6 by Motorola

Specifications:
Operating system
Android 5, Lollipop

Upvote 0
And micro is bigger than nano right?

Yeppers:

Mini-SIM-Micro-SIM-Nano-SIM.png

Upvote 0
Looks like I have to decide if I will cut down my S4's micro sim or try to deal with Verizon and go in to get a nano sim :/ Well, all assuming Verizon doesn't decide to be jerks and force you to buy it from them.

I guess I'll buy a cutter just in case Verizon wants to be....well...Verizon.

From what I gather,VZW SIM Cards are free for the asking:

NFC SE SIM Card FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Just make sure you visit a corporate store,instead of an authorized retailer (they're the ones who are charging you for SIM Card replacement).

A call to VZW Support should point you to a corporate store:

Customer Service
(800) 922-0204
or dial *611 from your mobile phone
View the *611 On-Screen App for Android Video

6:00am - 11:00pm Monday-Sunday

Upvote 0
Got a new sim for my RAZR maxx just a couple days ago. No charge and no questions asked. corporate store. Didn't lose unlimited data.

Didn't resolve my issue but that's another thread.

Yes, but what will Verizon say if I walk into the corporate store and ask for a nano sim for a Galaxy S4 and I have a nano->micro adapter? Will they do it? I'm guessing they'll be suspicious, but I can always tell them I'm thinking of potentially switching between the S4 and an iPhone (which afaik uses nano sims) and this would let me swap between them. hmm. ;)

Upvote 0
Sorry to bump this back up, but since I was able to order my Nexus 6 this afternoon I decided to call Verizon to see about having them send me a nano sim card since my GS III uses a micro sim.

Basically what they told me was they could not send me one as they did not have the Nexus in their system yet and they needed to have a phone to tie it to in order to send out a new sim card. They even had me speak to someone in one of the corporate stores to see if they could do anything and they told me the same thing: while there would be no charge to get a new sim, they needed to have the phone in the system in order to tie it to your account.

Now this won't be a problem if your current phone already uses a nano sim - in that case you should be able to just swap the cards over and be on your way. But for those of us who don't have a nano sim currently, this might be an issue if Verizon doesn't have the Nexus in their system by the time the phones start reaching customers. We could run into an issue like we had with the Nexus 7 all over again.

So I'm thinking that if Verizon doesn't have it in their system by the time the phone ships out, to either eat the cost and order one of those sim cutters, or try to cut the card myself using one of the templates found online. I watched a video showing how to do it and it didn't look too difficult, and I hate to spend the money on a cutter that I'll probably only ever use once, but either choice is better than waiting for Verizon to get off their duff and put the phone into their inventory.

Upvote 0
Well that sucks. So I wonder if I can pull the nanosim from my wife's iPhone 5 and walk in asking for a nano?

Not sure if that would work or not. I asked the Verizon rep if they could just pretend I had a different phone that already used a nano sim and they said 'no' because they would still have to activate it and to do that the phone needs to be in their system.

I'm thinking if you use your wife's iPhone, the card they give you would be tied to her line? I'm not positive, because I'm on a single line account (wife has no desire for anything more than a basic Trac Phone) so I'm not too familiar with how things work on plans with multiple lines.

Upvote 0
I use Sprint. I have never had to worry about this issue.

Is it foolish for me to think Sprint will have these cards avail?

Also how much do these cards cost? hundreds of dollars? Again I've never had to worry about this and this is my first google nexus phone (been an htc user exclusively since 2001).

I know most of you cats are on other carriers so you may not know but what would be the steps?

the phone has to be launched already
walk into corp store and say "yeah here is this phone i need a nano sim. gimmie it" :p
rep sells me nano.

i currently use an htc one max and i know it has micro sim.

will nano be already setup or does they needs to be setup for each type of phone?

i know if i ask sprint now i will not get any info.

what say ye?

Upvote 0
I use Sprint. I have never had to worry about this issue.

Is it foolish for me to think Sprint will have these cards avail?

Also how much do these cards cost? hundreds of dollars? Again I've never had to worry about this and this is my first google nexus phone (been an htc user exclusively since 2001).

I know most of you cats are on other carriers so you may not know but what would be the steps?

the phone has to be launched already
walk into corp store and say "yeah here is this phone i need a nano sim. gimmie it" :p
rep sells me nano.

i currently use an htc one max and i know it has micro sim.

will nano be already setup or does they needs to be setup for each type of phone?

i know if i ask sprint now i will not get any info.

what say ye?

I'm on Verizon, so I don't know how much of this applies to Sprint, but according to them there would be no cost to get a nano sim if I order through them over the phone or go to one of their corporate owned stores. Third party stores/resellers usually charge a fee (around $20 on average from what I can tell), but if you go the corporate route you should be fine.

From what I was told by the Verizon rep, if your current phone already uses a nano sim, you should just be able to swap it on over and be on your way. If not, you're going to have to either get a nano sim from Verizon, or cut down your existing sim to nano sim size (either doing it yourself, or using a sim cutter). If you want to get a new sim from Verizon, the phone needs to be in their system so that they can activate the sim on your account.

The problem with this is, if the phone doesn't get into Verizon's inventory until later, you'll be stuck unable to use your new Nexus unless you go the DIY route with the sim.

As I said, I don't know if this is the same way other carriers operate, but this is how it works with Verizon, at least from what their reps told me.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I'm on Verizon, so I don't know how much of this applies to Sprint, but according to them there would be no cost to get a nano sim if I order through them over the phone or go to one of their corporate owned stores. Third party stores/resellers usually charge a fee (around $20 on average from what I can tell), but if you go the corporate route you should be fine.

From what I was told by the Verizon rep, if your current phone already uses a nano sim, you should just be able to swap it on over and be on your way. If not, you're going to have to either get a nano sim from Verizon, or cut down your existing sim to nano sim size (either doing it yourself, or using a sim cutter). If you want to get a new sim from Verizon, the phone needs to be in their system so that they can activate the sim on your account.

The problem with this is, if the phone doesn't get into Verizon's inventory until later, you'll be stuck unable to use your new Nexus unless you go the DIY route with the sim.

As I said, I don't know if this is the same way other carriers operate, but this is how it works with Verizon, at least from what their reps told me.

So TL;DR Verizon is pull the same bullcrap they did with the Nexus 7. Terrific.

Upvote 0
Which is why I'll trim down my micro sim in my Galaxy S III if Verizon doesn't have cards ready by the time the phone ships. I'm not going to wait around for Verizon to be late to the party as usual.

So how foolproof are these card cutters? Is there a chance of breaking my microsim? And if I did, could I just go into Verizon and claim I broke mine accidentally and get a new micro sim to try?

Upvote 0
So how foolproof are these card cutters? Is there a chance of breaking my microsim? And if I did, could I just go into Verizon and claim I broke mine accidentally and get a new micro sim to try?

Never used one myself, but they seem pretty straightforward. On Amazon they range in price from around $3.00 to $13.00 or so, depending on quality I'm sure. They all look to be the same basic design and if you're only going to use it once there shouldn't be much of a problem (I've seen some complain that multiple uses could cause some deformation on some of the lower quality models).

It seems pretty simple to cut it yourself though. There are templates readily available, as well as numerous videos on YouTube showing how it's done so I'm not sure I want to waste the money buying one I would only use once.

Don't most stores have cutters? I'm T-Mobile and my plan, should I ever obtain the oh-so-elusive Nexus 6, is just to walk into the store with my current T-Mo micro sim and ask them to cut it to a nano-sim.

I was wondering that myself. I'm going to check into this as well if Verizon isn't set up by the time the phone comes in.

Upvote 0
I've trimmed a micro sim using a template you can easily find online. The most important thing is to not cut the gold part of the card as that is what holds all info to get service.

Just the center circle/oval is what you have to be careful of, right? I've watched a couple of videos and this was what was stated. Trimming around the perimeter of the gold portion was said not to affect performance, and in fact you need to cut the corner of the card in order to make the notch.

I'm a little nervous about doing it myself, but I figure it can't be too bad. Worse comes to worse I just get another micro sim from Verizon and try it again. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones