• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM]A Froyo Rom 2.2.1

So I just wanted to post the problem I was having and how I got it to work. Initially I rooted 2.1 with z4root and flashed velocity 3 and later 4...I backed up the original and each of these too (thanks to Savoxis' website)...I then learned that the newest update added wireless tether (I had been using usb w/ pdanet) so I thought I would try it. I put the original rom back and updated. I tried the tether and realized it "ok" but not as good as barnacle and my battery was basically back to nothing. I then tried to revert back to velocity 4 but I was/wasn't root. Was/wasn't because z4root said I was not but universalandroot said I was when I tried to unroot. I was like wtf mate. So after much research I used AllyRR (again thanks Savoxis) which got me passed that problem. Then I tried to flash the saved roms by rebooting into clockworkmod manual recovery. No beans. Thought I might not have wiped the data or something so I tried again. Thought it was the recovery so I tried velocity 3 instead of 4...damn...tried a fresh install of velocity 3 then 4 and neither worked. Finally I realized what I had done...2.2.1....I was like poop sickle...So I searched and searched until I found this page (2d and 14 total hours later) and was able to flash Froyo Rom 2.2.1.

Question I have is why did it think i was/wasn't root?

Upvote 0
The only thing that I will suggest to you is to use the guide developed by Trident, Death2ALL, GetItNowMarketing and anyone else I am forgetting. You do not have fastboot (bootloader) and if anything corrupts your device you'll have to use this guide just to restore your device. Yes it will take you some time, but your device will be at less risk for failure and you most likely will not run into recovery issues.

Savoxis, I totally respect your post regarding the quoted post. I only responded to this post because I feel that the one click method is improperly leading our community into a false sense of security in regard to the development world of android. Feel free to report my post if you feel I have stepped on your toes. I appreciate your work and use your ROM secondarily. I have also found your website to be useful and thoroughly informative.

Thank you to all our ALLY DEVS. PLEASE DONATE IF YOU CAN.

EDIT: Donated! Sorry it isn't more...in between paychecks and father of a newborn. Thanks for everything.

I ended up just using Clockwork to flash amon_ra. I was able to reboot in to recovery with that. Everything works fine that way. I do thank you for the advice though. When I get some more free time I plan to use the Trident and Co. method just to get myself a little more familiar with the development tools.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
As you all I am sure are aware Velocity 1 is now available to download.

The secret purpose of this rom was to get people updated to 2.2.1 for an easy switch over to Velocity. Mission accomplished.

I do plan on fixing the rest of the bugs Bluetooth and whatnot, finishing my theme ports and maybe one or 2 new flavor packets.

I do encourage everyone to use Velocity, Trident, Drellisdee(GNM) and I typed our fingers to the bone making this feature filled ROM as quick and user friendly as possible.

As time goes by I will inevitably come back to patch AFR, and again, bugs will be patched as they are found, so remember Im not leaving you in the dust.

Upvote 0
Hey Savoxis, I was wondering.... you know that little stock messaging widget? what is the possibility that you might be able to make that available? (for Velocity 1.0)

I know your busy, and it's not crucial, but I kind of like it, and wouldn't mind having it back. Really appreciate the work your doing around here, and on the userspace. keep up the good work!

Upvote 0
Hey. I know this thread is incredibly old, but is this ROM still pertinent to the ROM community as a whole? To be honest, I'm tired of the newer, "feature-rich" ROMs; at least to me, each new iteration becomes more and more unstable. Each new iteration has entirely senseless additions; I don't want GO Launcher built-in to my ROM, nor do I want ADW Launcher. I don't want a broken Gmail app, I don't want a buggy, "new" SMS/MMS app that can't even send picture/video messages. I just want the very basics - let me choose what I want to install on my own, y'know? When I flash a ROM to my phone, I am expecting a faster, upgraded kernel - but as for the apps, all I want installed on my phone are the bare essentials. The stock Froyo SMS/MMS app, stock launcher, stock media viewer, and that's it. No more, no less.

All I want is a bare-bones Froyo ROM, and I'm giving up hope that I'll ever find one. Is this ROM something that I'm looking for?

EDIT: Never mind. I suppose not. "Added Astro, Terminal and SpareParts". I suppose I could uninstall those with TitaniumBackup, but I have no idea how deeply ingrained those apps are with this ROM. That, and I don't really think I should have to uninstall apps like that to begin with. I think I'm gonna check out Byron Bare for now; sorry if I sound a bit rude, I'm just getting increasingly frustrated with my phone, since I have at least another year before I'm available for an upgrade.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones