• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root root your mytouch 3g!!!

Hey there,

I'm wondering if someone can help me out. I have a MT3G that has been rooted and unlocked and I've been using it for nearly 2 weeks. Ever since I first got it a warning screen pops up that says "The process com.google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." and then Force Close. This happens when I first turn on the phone and when I try to install ANY app from the market. I also cannot access Google Talk. Once I touch the icon a screen pops up that says "The application Google Talk (process com.google.android.talk) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." I have done a factory reset which didn't help, I've tried clearing data from gmail and google talk and nothing has had any affect on the problem. Does anyone know what could fix this?

Thanks!

Which rom are you using? And what directions did you follow to root and install the rom?

Upvote 0
I'm pretty new to all of this stuff and the phone was rooted, unlocked and has CyanogenMod-4.2.14.1 already installed on it when I bought it. It never worked properly and the people who sold it to me haven't been able to help either.

Not that big a problem. You can easily fix it by flashing the ROM again. That's not so hard. How much did you pay for it BTW?

EDIT: if you don't know how to flash a ROM I can help you.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if whether the methods for rooting the MT3G 1.2 have been confirmed? Just picked up my own 3 days ago and would like to root.

After doing some research it does seem that I will need to use the "gold card" method, was wondering if someone could let me know if I was on the right track.

My info if it helps point me in the right direction.

saphire PVT 32A SHIP S-ON G
HBOOT-1.33.0013 (SAPP31000)
CPLD-13
RADIO-2.22.23.02
Oct 21 2009,22:33:27

Upvote 0
Reactions: Tx_Droid
Upvote 0
So, I was poking around the CyanogenMod site earlier, and let me see if I understand this correctly: after rooting, no matter what ROM I put on, the phone is gonna say I'm running firmware ver. 1.5?

That's gonna cure my interest in rooting. No way am I gonna further restrict what apps I can have.

No no no no :) What fun would a phone be if you had to stay in 1.5 Cupcake all the time?! ;)

So in order for rooting to work your phone needs to temporarily be reverted to 1.5 in order to pass by some security measures implemented in 1.6, but then from there, I would start with Cyanogenmod ROM, you can put any ROM you want on it.

Here's what I think the best way to go is, especially for Mytouch users - Follow Cyanogen's directions in his wiki, flash his ROM. Get used to it and tinker around on XDA Developers forums for awhile, just experience being rooted, however it sometimes sounds like going to a different planet, but remember its just like an improved version of Android's default Donut ROM, the one the phone comes with, so it isn't totally different in operating but there are more capabilities.

So after you have flashed Cyanogen's Rom go and would discover other roms and flash those to your phone. Right now I am using Super D 1.9.2, its super fast and very smooth, similar to Cyan's yet different. Both of those roms are 1.6 Donut roms, however there are 2.1 Eclair roms like OpenEclair and also 2.0.1 roms and many others, they aren't all locked into the capabilites of 1.5. Like I said they just wouldn't be fun like that. And whatever firmware build the rom is for, for example 1.6 for Cyanogen, then you can run 1.6 apps, and OpenEclair can run live wallpapers like the Nexus One.

One more thing to remember, as you browse the XDA forums you'll notice that it seems like everyone has the Danger or Death or Haykuro SPL, this is the Secondary Program Loader and it is necessary for G1 users to apply to their phones, in order to free up internal memory so that the custom roms can fit into the internal memory supply better. However because Mytouchs have more internal memory than G1s we don't need the Death SPL.

Also, you can see what your Radio is on your phone by powering on by pushing power and volume down at the same time. The latest Radio is 2.22.19.26I and I believe that comes stock on the Mytouch. So if that is on your phone then you are usually good to go with most ROMs, otherwise you'll have to flash a different radio.

I know that this wasn't totally a response to Instant's comment, but hopefully it'll help others' always wondering about some of that stuff. So have a great day rooting!

Reactions: InstantKarma
Upvote 0
Ok...I have been reading this thread all day and I can't really find the solution I am looking for. I rooted using the methods found on this thread and it worked great. I loaded this ROM: JACHeroski 1.5

My phone is now SO SLOW...I love the rom, but can't handle the slow.

I decided to root because my phone was so slow. I wanted a different home theme, but when I used the ones found in the market they slowed my phone to a crawl. So my understanding was rooting should speed things up.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated!

Upvote 0
Ok...I have been reading this thread all day and I can't really find the solution I am looking for. I rooted using the methods found on this thread and it worked great. I loaded this ROM: JACHeroski 1.5

My phone is now SO SLOW...I love the rom, but can't handle the slow.

I decided to root because my phone was so slow. I wanted a different home theme, but when I used the ones found in the market they slowed my phone to a crawl. So my understanding was rooting should speed things up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hero phones have more ram than Mytouchs and even though the roms have been optimized to run on other phones, they can be a little too much. I know that your phone seems slow, here's one thing, it sounds dumb, but have you restarted your phone since you have rooted and flashed the hero rom? That can make a big difference. I'm guessing that you probably have. Another suggestion would be your swap size, I would suggest setting it to something like 64 MB or 96 MB, too much can make your phone real slow and too little can be the same. And last but not least, I would go with a different rom, try out Super D 1.9.2

Its the fastest rom that I have used. Give it a try and use Amon Ra's recovery image when flashing, this is a good video for showing you how to install this recovery image. When using it, you can partition your sd card and set your swap and Apps2SD size, the only bad thing about SuperD is that it doesn't support Apps2SD for Mytouch yet, but that doesn't matter if you don't have a ton of apps. Oh and by the way you'll need to use "Better Terminal Emulator" from the Market -

chart

In order to install Amon Ra's Recovery 1.5.2

Good luck!

Upvote 0
No no no no :) What fun would a phone be if you had to stay in 1.5 Cupcake all the time?! ;)

So in order for rooting to work your phone needs to temporarily be reverted to 1.5 in order to pass by some security measures implemented in 1.6, but then from there, I would start with Cyanogenmod ROM, you can put any ROM you want on it.

Okay, good to know. I just noticed that all the screenshots on the CM site (that showed the firmware version) showed ver. 1.5.

Screens CyanogenMod

In that case, I'll probably be rooting as soon as I get a new MicroSDHC card. Thanks for the answer. :)

Upvote 0
Okay, good to know. I just noticed that all the screenshots on the CM site (that showed the firmware version) showed ver. 1.5.

Screens CyanogenMod

In that case, I'll probably be rooting as soon as I get a new MicroSDHC card. Thanks for the answer. :)

Hmmm, interesting, they do say that the firmware is 1.5, but there Cyanogen Rom version is like 4.0.2, that was an earlier Rom, much earlier, the latest is version 4.2.14.1, the run of this Rom started at 4.1.999, so those screenshots must have been from awhile ago, but no worries, the one out right now is definitely 1.6, a build for donut. So get to flashing and good luck!

Upvote 0
jfritzs2

Please tell us that the vid is just a demo of what your talking about? Totally different phone.

Oh yeah, its different, but the same recovery image of AmonRa can be put on the Mytouch as being put on the G1 in the video. The video is old, but luckily the from whatever version of AmonRa, like 1.4. Here is all you need to do - click on the video to follow the video to youtube. Then open up the info on the right side and at the bottom and follow the link to download the new recovery image. Then follow the directions that EmoGamer gives you.

As I said, you will need to download "Better Terminal Emulator" otherwise you won't be able to type with Terminal Emulator because that was designed for G1 with a physical keyboard. Let me know if you don't know how to get that or need help getting it.

Oh and there isn't a huge need to learn the Switchrom stuff that he shows you, it is definitely useful, but I do pretty much all of that on my computer and with the recovery image (by the way, in case people out there don't know, a recovery image is the program that comes up when you have rooted your phone and you power it on while holding power and the home button at the same time)

Keep asking all the questions you want!

Upvote 0
Open Eclair 1.1.5.beta. I just noticed they posted a final version. I'll have to give that a try.

Just updated and still no video...it crashes the camera app.

I would upgrade to the new OpenEclair 1.2.1 However, that is an Eclair Rom which is very intensive on your ram and processor already. I would try to stick to a 1.6 rom like Cyanogen or SuperD 1.9.2 is really fast. Try those out first, then once you get the tinkering down with your settings, swap size and CPU just perfect apply those same settings to a 2.1 rom and see how it works out.

Upvote 0
Ok...I do like the recovery image better, easier to work with... I haven't figured out what he's talking about with the switching ROMs withough wiping the phone...but that's not such a big deal. I set my size to 96...phone's still a bit laggy. But after last night, I'm just happy it's still working. I don't love the ROM, but it's better than the stock ROM that came with my phone!

Upvote 0
Ok...I do like the recovery image better, easier to work with... I haven't figured out what he's talking about with the switching ROMs withough wiping the phone...but that's not such a big deal. I set my size to 96...phone's still a bit laggy. But after last night, I'm just happy it's still working. I don't love the ROM, but it's better than the stock ROM that came with my phone!

If you flashed the SuperD, I would put the Elegance theme on it that is found in my signature, its a really nice one. But just cruise around XDA Developers forums and find other roms and try them out. Have fun!

Upvote 0
I found a Hero Rom that I really like ("Very optimized Hero" 1.8) and it's totally fast and fun. BUT it is running off 1.5 so I can't find some of the free apps I had before I rooted :( I guess in the grand scheme it's not a huge deal, but a bit of a bummer. I'm still playing around and trying to see if there are others I like. I wish I could figure out how to do the switch thing he was showing in his video so I didn't have to wipe each time...kind of a bummer to have to enter all the passwords & what not again!

Upvote 0
I am just got the G1 phone whic i know is a very powerful and cool phone. The only trouble i have is i rooted it to have better enhancement but the one i got now is not what i want. when i want to boou, it shows me nothing to boot from.

can someone help me

What do you mean when you want to boot? When you want to turn it on? And then there is a blank screen?

Upvote 0
I am just got the G1 phone whic i know is a very powerful and cool phone. The only trouble i have is i rooted it to have better enhancement but the one i got now is not what i want. when i want to boou, it shows me nothing to boot from.

can someone help me

I am not sure why you asking about rooting the G1 here in the Mytouch forum ... ??? maybe a good reason ... but there are rooting threads in the G1 forums as well.

Upvote 0
I was wondering if anyone can provide some insight on how to properly root a MyTouch3g 1.2 phone. I have tried the Wiki-way for 32a, the "goldcard" method and neither seems to work. Whenever I "fastboot" into my phone I am just unable to do the recovery method.

The Wiki steps have me download 4 items, yet say to put only 3 on my SD card and does not specify which 3 out of the 4 items I should use. I have swapped them around many times and tried different ways yet they all lead me back to the same results - nada.

If someone out there could help me root my phone or at least explain what steps I seem not be getting right I would really appreciate it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones