• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting my brand new LG Volt question to be used as a music player...

So I just bought a new LG volt to use SOLELY as a music player to replace my ipod classic (64 gb card in my lg volt), I have tmobile so will not be using this as a phone, i just bought it from best buy so how do I know if I have the z4 update already installed? I tried to use Towelroot but it says my device is not supported I did NOT update the phone since getting it an hour ago, no update has been downloaded or anything so how do I know if I have the z4 update?

Also, if I do, what is the easiest way to root so I can delete all the bloatware? What is the best battery saving rom to install if I am using it ONLY as a media player?

This is my first time rooting anything so any advice is appreciated thank you!

NO ACTIVATION and I plan on rooting the phone.

OP, got a couple of questions for you... and those in the know.

Just ordered a LG Volt model LGLS740 via Bestbuy as I had a gift card or two. Noticed Amazon LLC (Ships and Sold by Amazon) has Volt for $59.99, so I called up BestBuy.com which had Volt @ $79.99 and they did a no-hassle price match to $59.99.

Don't plan on ACTIVATING the phone, unless my testing indicates Sprint network has increased their coverage / reworked their network in the past 3yrs.

I was hoping to be able to see signal strength /use apps that show signal strength without activating the phone.
(I know I will not be able to do download tests, I was interested in just mapping signal strength.)

Reason?
Had tried the Virgin Mobile branded LG Optimus about 3yrs ago and data speeds were inconsistent.
(My theory being since VM leases space from SPRINT and that 4G /LTE was supposedly rolling out at that time towers were A: Overloaded, and B: SPRINT customers got first preference on towers and VM customers got whatever bandwidth was left over.)

Thinking since VM and Boost use SPRINT network it might help in mapping signal strength for my area.

How I plan on using the phone:
1: Mapping signal strength of SPRINT network in my area. (short term)
2: To be able to use it via Wi-Fi to access the net / e-mail.
3: GPS... use it as GPS.
4: Install apps /games from Google Play Store. (yes I know about stock rom barring installing apps to external SD card)
5: Camera
6: Media
7: To look important carrying two smartphones with me everywhere I go (Just kidding).

Questions for YOU.
Q1: Did you have to do anything special to bypass activation screen?
Q2: Did you have any problems bypassing the activation screen?
Q3: When you do not have Volt in airplane mode does it show signal strength?
Q4: Does it show LTE symbol in LTE areas? 4G in 4G? when radios are on?
Q5: Are you able to access apps?
Q6: Have you read anything about being billed the FULL RETAIL PRICE of the phone if you don't activate it?

Rooting info:
http://androidforums.com/threads/root-all-the-volts-new-updated-methods-for-zv4.893332/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's no reason to root your phone if you're just going to use it as a WiFi-only multimedia device. The vast majority of Playstore apps will work just fine. In fact you only need WiFi to download apps and data (music, videos, etc.)

Remember, rooting your phone is not something to be taken lightly. It's potentially *dangerous* and should only be done if you understand all of the issues involved.

Upvote 0
There's no reason to root your phone if you're just going to use it as a WiFi-only multimedia device. The vast majority of Playstore apps will work just fine. In fact you only need WiFi to download apps and data (music, videos, etc.)

Remember, rooting your phone is not something to be taken lightly. It's potentially *dangerous* and should only be done if you understand all of the issues involved.
But, if you're only going to use it as a media player, it's nice to get rid of everything else and really streamline the system to maximize the phone's power.

Upvote 0
But, if you're only going to use it as a media player, it's nice to get rid of everything else and really streamline the system to maximize the phone's power.

Who cares about streamlining? The Volt has lots of memory and adequate speed and works just fine out of the box for multimedia. Supercharging a volt is like using a Porche for day-to-day trips in a downtown area - it might look good to spectators but a VW bug will get you there just as fast.

None of the "bloatware" or non-essential apps (e.g. phone, contacts, navigation, etc.) harm anything by remaining on the phone and you can easily customize the home screen with only the ones you use.

I'm a bit concerned with so many people wanting to root their phone who clearly don't understand the risks involved. Rooting is a major deal - it's like giving administrator access to everybody who uses a computer (a major security flaw in Windows is using Administrator as a default account)

Rooting just for the sake of rooting isn't worth the risks.

I've got a couple of key rules about rooting phones -

Don't root unless there's a _GOOD_ reason to root your phone. Rooting is like the dark side of the force, it's extremely powerful but if you aren't extremely knowledgeable you can get corrupted.

I will not root somebody else's phone, no matter how much they beg and plead. I'll explain the tradeoffs, the risks involved, and then point them at androidforums.com and say "Read _EVERYTHING_ you can about rooting your phone, and reread it until you understand it. Then, if you think it's still worthwhile to root your phone, and you understand what you've read then go ahead and do it. But if you screw up your phone or brick it, you're on your own.

IMHO rooting to use a phone as a WiFi multimedia device is just not necessary, or very desirable.

Upvote 0
No, it's not essential, but there's nothing wrong with it either. Yes, rooting can be dangerous, and I state this several times a day, especially when dealing with those that obviously have no experience.

However, how will they learn if no one helps them? You were a clueless newb at one point too. We all were.

As for rooting the Volt to use as a media device being pointless, that's your opinion, and that's fine, no need to bash anyone for having a different opinion.

This phone is not that overtly powerful that it couldn't benefit from some tweaking, even if it's just clearing out unneeded apps... Namely in the RAM department. The stock system uses over half of the phones RAM. Doesn't leave much for anything else, especially multitasking, which is likely to happen on a media device. Another reason to root for media purposes is the whole KitKat SD card restriction annoyance.

Upvote 0
Q6: Have you read anything about being billed the FULL RETAIL PRICE of the phone if you don't activate it?
And will they take any legal actions :)
What is that even based on? No, there's nothing like that. Just because you go buy a phone, you are not obligated to activate it, or even use it, ever. The only way that would be a factor is if you got it as part of a contract deal and then breached the contract by cancelling or just not paying your bill. Obviously, this is not applicable to a no contract service.

Upvote 0
What is that even based on? No, there's nothing like that. Just because you go buy a phone, you are not obligated to activate it, or even use it, ever. The only way that would be a factor is if you got it as part of a contract deal and then breached the contract by cancelling or just not paying your bill. Obviously, this is not applicable to a no contract service.

Read a post elsewhere that hinted if phone wasn't activated you could be billed retail price. Didn't put much credit to what the poster was saying... that said I can see how buried in the fine print they could add it in.

Upvote 0
Q: As it seems OP is unlikely to respond can any of you guys answer my questions in post #6?

http://androidforums.com/threads/ro...e-used-as-a-music-player.890693/#post-6847473
All apps will work, you'll just be restricted to Wi-Fi, obviously, so GPS won't be much help without Wi-Fi to get route info (once you have a route, it will be fine so long as you don't have to reroute). Tethering to your other phone would be a good workaround. I know it will show signal strength, but I don't believe it will show 4G indicator. There are signal detection apps that might provide more details, but I can't say for sure on an unactivated device.

Upvote 0
All apps will work, you'll just be restricted to Wi-Fi, obviously, so GPS won't be much help without Wi-Fi to get route info (once you have a route, it will be fine so long as you don't have to reroute). Tethering to your other phone would be a good workaround. I know it will show signal strength, but I don't believe it will show 4G indicator. There are signal detection apps that might provide more details, but I can't say for sure on an unactivated device.

Thanks
Hoping to find some signal apps that will work and find some use for the phone to justify buying it. Figured it would be a pretty decent MP3 player, FM radio tuner etc to use at the Gym.

Since I'm not going to be activating it right away (Unless signal strength indicates Sprint has upgraded the network, and Boost has a plan that will work for me)

What is the recommended way on bypassing activation screen(s)?
(Guess this could depend on firmware unit ships with)

Tap all four corners starting at upper left going clockwise, or keypad sequence?
Try doing the activation call?, aborting 1/2 half thru several times?
Try making activation calls in area with ZERO signal strength?

Volt will be here in about 12hrs.

Quick question on rooting.
About 2-3yrs ago purchased some BlackBerry Playbooks, and upon first boot they would force a auto-update and that update encrypted the bootaloader so rooting was NOT possible after that. (IIRC)

Do these Boost LS740's auto-upate, if so is there anything special that needs to be done to block it beyond configuring device to not download /install updates?
(I'd like to keep the option to root the device open)

If the device does auto-update... it is still possible to flash it to v3 then flash 4.4.? and retain root?

Last question about rooting, which thread has the most current /proven method as of today's date?
(I ask such because I've found on other devices I've flashed that procedures are prone to change as time goes on and following old info can make the device a brick.)

Upvote 0
Thanks
Hoping to find some signal apps that will work and find some use for the phone to justify buying it. Figured it would be a pretty decent MP3 player, FM radio tuner etc to use at the Gym.

Since I'm not going to be activating it right away (Unless signal strength indicates Sprint has upgraded the network, and Boost has a plan that will work for me)

What is the recommended way on bypassing activation screen(s)?
(Guess this could depend on firmware unit ships with)

Tap all four corners starting at upper left going clockwise, or keypad sequence?
Try doing the activation call?, aborting 1/2 half thru several times?
Try making activation calls in area with ZERO signal strength?

Volt will be here in about 12hrs.

Quick question on rooting.
About 2-3yrs ago purchased some BlackBerry Playbooks, and upon first boot they would force a auto-update and that update encrypted the bootaloader so rooting was NOT possible after that. (IIRC)

Do these Boost LS740's auto-upate, if so is there anything special that needs to be done to block it beyond configuring device to not download /install updates?
(I'd like to keep the option to root the device open)

If the device does auto-update... it is still possible to flash it to v3 then flash 4.4.? and retain root?

Last question about rooting, which thread has the most current /proven method as of today's date?
(I ask such because I've found on other devices I've flashed that procedures are prone to change as time goes on and following old info can make the device a brick.)

Regarding the activation screen, it auto activates. There is no way around it that I could tell. After five failed auto attempts it leaves you alone. If you reboot the phone it will try to activate again and you'll have to wait for it to finish (and fail).

Also, it auto downloads the updates but you have to install it on your own. Pic related

Attachments

• tmp_7393-Screenshot_2015-01-15-15-38-00-1873069795.png
    tmp_7393-Screenshot_2015-01-15-15-38-00-1873069795.png
    88 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0
Regarding the activation screen, it auto activates. There is no way around it that I could tell. After five failed auto attempts it leaves you alone. If you reboot the phone it will try to activate again and you'll have to wait for it to finish (and fail).

Also, it auto downloads the updates but you have to install it on your own. Pic related

Thanks, was wondering if there was a way to cancel the auto-activation process.
Phone is showing LS740ZV4, Android at 4.4.2

So far playing with the phone battery life seems good, should be slightly better after the battery has been cycled a few times.

Since I don't have a case for it haven't played with it much.

I am able to "see" the signal strength, via on the taskbar and "Open Signal" when I toggle the cell radio on, of course I can't run any download tests.

On the taskbar I see a static 3G symbol (sometimes), and from time to time a 3G surrounded by 360 degrees of dots /bars.... I would assume this is when phone is transmitting data, handling off to another tower.
Going to menu bar at bottom of main screen, System Settings>Settings>About phone, Network says EvDo-rev.A right now.. I don't see a #G symbol, but I have 6 bar showing, -80dBm.

Taskbar while sitting here typing this shows a icon that looks like a SIM CARD with a red exclamation point.
(I would assume this is normal if phone is unsuccessful in activating.)

The app "Open Signal" says
Chameleon ] EVDO A, gives signal strength, shows Data as 49ms.

After doing a reboot, with the unit trying to auto-activate at some point I see a error message about SIM CARD being no good (Something to that effect) and to call CS.

Q: I guess the SIM CARD error message is normal when the phone hasn't been activated, right?

PS: I have not seen a LTE symbol yet? So I'm wondering if no signal being present is due to no LTE in my area, or because the phone hasn't been activated.

Guess I'm off to do some searching...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The app "Open Signal" says
Chameleon ] EVDO A, gives signal strength, shows Data as 49ms.

After doing a reboot, with the unit trying to auto-activate at some point I see a error message about SIM CARD being no good (Something to that effect) and to call CS.

Q: I guess the SIM CARD error message is normal when the phone hasn't been activated, right?

PS: I have not seen a LTE symbol yet? So I'm wondering if no signal being present is due to no LTE in my area, or because the phone hasn't been activated.

I think that's all normal except maybe the SIM card error. The phone will show "Chameleon" until activated, then it will show the actual provider (Sprint/Boost/VM). LTE also does not appear unless the phone is activated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones