• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root rooting tool, a 'one click' program!

desirable, quick question.
you say you had an orange branded desire, but didn't need to create a goldcard or unlock.
which roms and radio versions have you managed to get to work without doing either?
will any work after rooting, or only specific ones (that say will work on previously branded orange devices)?

sorry to be a pita, but i'd like to avoid doing extra bits and forking out extra cash if i can (i know, just buy the damn thing!)

thanks!

Upvote 0
nothing at all mate driving me mad
try getting into recovery, keep volume down pressed while pressing power button, i assume you did a nandroid back up before flashing your rom? if you get into recovery select nandroid and then select restore.

desirable, quick question.
you say you had an orange branded desire, but didn't need to create a goldcard or unlock.
which roms and radio versions have you managed to get to work without doing either?
will any work after rooting, or only specific ones (that say will work on previously branded orange devices)?

sorry to be a pita, but i'd like to avoid doing extra bits and forking out extra cash if i can (i know, just buy the damn thing!)

thanks!
i used 32.42.00.32U_5.09.00.08 and thats the only one i have ever used, and i have tried every froyo rom from xda!! lol (slight exaggeration)

Upvote 0
i used 32.42.00.32U_5.09.00.08 and thats the only one i have ever used, and i have tried every froyo rom from xda!! lol (slight exaggeration)

so you don't actually need to update the radio version when you change rom? thought that was part of the process...

if you can do it without a goldcard or unlocking, then might give this a go tomorrow...

as a last question (for now anyway), how long did it take to get all the s/w and do the actual deed (root, update radio and change rom)? interested to see how long it took someone else and then how long it'll take me...

thanks again for the help! only wish i'd found somewhere like this for my old phone - might have been more inclined to stick with it... on second thoughts, maybe that wasn't such a bad thing! :D

Upvote 0
so you don't actually need to update the radio version when you change rom? thought that was part of the process...

if you can do it without a goldcard or unlocking, then might give this a go tomorrow...

as a last question (for now anyway), how long did it take to get all the s/w and do the actual deed (root, update radio and change rom)? interested to see how long it took someone else and then how long it'll take me...

thanks again for the help! only wish i'd found somewhere like this for my old phone - might have been more inclined to stick with it... on second thoughts, maybe that wasn't such a bad thing! :D

No, you will still have to flash the radio every time you flash a rom, but I have used the same radio that I downloaded with the first rom I used, and I suppose it took me about 3 hours! No joke, I was flapping like a mother ****er! :) but after u have finished you will be buzzing :)

Upvote 0
Hhmmm. Wassup thinking about doing it before work tomorrow, bit maybe not!
Cool beans about radio. So long as it works!
What ROMs have worked for you so far? Any you'd recommend?
:D No, for your first bash at it, make sure you have plenty of time on your hands, i did mine on a sunday morning, started it at about 9am and was fully rooted by mid afternoon!! lol as i said mate, i was flapping like a good un!!

all the roms have worked for me so far, and it depends on what you want from a ROM, they all have different attributes and pros and cons, its up to you really, i recommend reading the comments on each rom thread first (on XDA)

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

Am quite new to this so hopefully the issues I've got can be easily sorted.

I have just updated the ROM on my orange branded and locked HTC Desire using [ROM-FroYo] Official Froyo HTC Sense ROM (16/07 v1.0c | OpenDesire Team) - xda-developers , though I have not done the apps2sd part as detailed in post 1. The guide was great and the OpenDesire ROM did not require a goldcard as stated.

This said I then tried to resore the apps and all system data using titanium and a couple of things cropped up, which before were working fine:

1. Keep getting low disk space error messages, even though all the apps fitted fine on the internal memory before flashing the ROM. I was assuming that even without moving them to SD there should be enough internal memory post flashing? When I looked in Advanced task killer is states 190M free but in Settings > SD & phone storage it shows internal phone storage as 14.48MB available space.

2. Under Settings > Accessibility I tried to re-instate the lock pattern I had set before flashing the ROM but get the following error message: ""You do not have any accessibility related applications installed". Which app/apps do I need to restore, as I though this would be there by default?

Sure I may discover a few more niggles but getting these sorted would be great.

Thanks

Upvote 0
1. Keep getting low disk space error messages, even though all the apps fitted fine on the internal memory before flashing the ROM. I was assuming that even without moving them to SD there should be enough internal memory post flashing? When I looked in Advanced task killer is states 190M free but in Settings > SD & phone storage it shows internal phone storage as 14.48MB available space.

2. Under Settings > Accessibility I tried to re-instate the lock pattern I had set before flashing the ROM but get the following error message: ""You do not have any accessibility related applications installed". Which app/apps do I need to restore, as I though this would be there by default?

hey man, glad all went well...
1. although a PITA, and if you do not wish to bother with the partitioning of your sdcard, it is probably worth going back into recovery and performing a wipe/factory reset, to try and clear any backlog. Make sure you backup anything you want first
2. the pattern lock is under security, and should stillbe there (i dont use it, but am sure it was); accessibility is for installing 'page readers' etc if, say, you were partially sighted
hope this helps

Upvote 0
Thanks Kboya, the pattern screen lock is now sorted so just the low disk space to sort out.

So just I'm clear, and assuming I don't partition my SD card, back up all contacts, SMS and apps (apps via titanium). Then do a reset and then I should be able to restore the apps via titanium as it should still be there?

Also, having a look at some of the things that I haven't been able to restore (due to low disk space) many are Google and HTC apps (e.g. google talk storage, HTC search widget, etc) that are stated as being "<appname> 2.1-update1". I am assuming these are app updates applied to my orignal orange ROM but was wondering if these would cause issues if restored now that I am on 2.2?

Upvote 0
Thanks Kboya, the pattern screen lock is now sorted so just the low disk space to sort out.

So just I'm clear, and assuming I don't partition my SD card, back up all contacts, SMS and apps (apps via titanium). Then do a reset and then I should be able to restore the apps via titanium as it should still be there?

Also, having a look at some of the things that I haven't been able to restore (due to low disk space) many are Google and HTC apps (e.g. google talk storage, HTC search widget, etc) that are stated as being "<appname> 2.1-update1". I am assuming these are app updates applied to my orignal orange ROM but was wondering if these would cause issues if restored now that I am on 2.2?

yes, to the first point.

2. You probably have the 2.2 evrsions of those apps, and you do not want to restore the 2.1-update 1 apps; as you suggest they are from the original rom. You might find that, after the wipe, they no longer show in the list.
When you are about to restore, you only need the 'missing apps' (+data).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi All,

Rooted earlier today with no probs....thanks to your great step by step guide

I'm now using [ROM-FroYo] Official Froyo HTC Sense ROM (16/07 v1.0c | OpenDesire Team) - xda-developers

But........why do only 'some' of the apps transfer to SD card (e.g gameboid, snesoid, place directory etc...0

and other don't ( 3g watchdog, google goggles, mystique etc...)

Can anyone Explain??

did you follow the bottom part of the guide regarding A2SD+? What is your internal memory once you have re-installed all your apps? when you go into applications>manage if some of the apps are shaded it means that the specific app is not made to go on the SD card the froyo way, but if you have followed the bottom part of this guide then you should have A2SD+ which, unlike the built in froyo apps2sd, will force your apps to the SD card on to the 512 MB that you partitioned with ROM manager, it tricks your phone into thinking that it is part of the internal memory.

i have around 20 + apps and i have around 90 MB of free internal memory.

hope this helps

Upvote 0
Desirable..........I followed ALL of the guide on the opening post, top to bottom and all went well!

I have about 15-20 apps ATM & 130Mb internal space remaining.....As mentioned before it lets me move 'some' apps to SD but not others.

So..... in menu > storage > SD & phone storage, is the internal phone storage the 512Mb that i have partitioned with ROM manager, or is this something different??

.......sorry I'm just a little confused as to how it works and whether i have Apps2SD+ or not...?

Thanks In Advance

Upvote 0
Desirable..........I followed ALL of the guide on the opening post, top to bottom and all went well!

I have about 15-20 apps ATM & 130Mb internal space remaining.....As mentioned before it lets me move 'some' apps to SD but not others.

So..... in menu > storage > SD & phone storage, is the internal phone storage the 512Mb that i have partitioned with ROM manager, or is this something different??

.......sorry I'm just a little confused as to how it works and whether i have Apps2SD+ or not...?

Thanks In Advance
Mate, if you have 130 MB left of internal memory after restoring all your apps, then your A2SD+ is working just fine. tell you what to do to verify they are going to SD card, check what your internal memory is at, go to market and download 3 or 4 big apps, look for the size of them and add the total MB up as you download, then go back to SD& phone storage after they have all installed and see what your MB are then. if it doesn't take the amount from your internal that they all added up to, you know you are storing them on SD card. Then you can just delete the apps that you just d/l.

Upvote 0
Desirable......tried downloading a few fairly big apps last night and it put them on my internal storage.......but with the option to move some to SD card........that's the reason why i am a little confused....:thinking:

So...... in menu > storage > SD & phone storage, is the internal phone storage the 512Mb that i have partitioned with ROM manager, or is this something different??

Cheers,

Louis

Upvote 0
Desirable......tried downloading a few fairly big apps last night and it put them on my internal storage.......but with the option to move some to SD card........that's the reason why i am a little confused....:thinking:

So...... in menu > storage > SD & phone storage, is the internal phone storage the 512Mb that i have partitioned with ROM manager, or is this something different??

Cheers,

Louis
so it actually says at the bottom "available space 512 MB" ? i don't understand which one says 512 MB your SD card or internal? The bottom one is internal, top one is the size of your SD second one is free Memory on SD card. The apps that you are able to move to SD card are the ones that are coded to go on the SD card by the Dev of that particular app (not all apps are able to do this yet) But as for the 512 MB it sounds like its what you partitioned, but i don't see how you can see that, i cant see it on mine.... :thinking:

so to sum it up for you, if you go into settings>SD & phone storage check the bottom if its over say, 80 - 90 MB, then your A2SD+ Is defo working.

Rather than start a new thread, ill post this here. I have just been looking at my free space on SD card, and available space says 300MB, but i have an 8 Gig class 6 card and only have 2 gig of music, so i went and had a look at what was taking up the space, and clockworkMod file was 3+ gig of back ups!! i had like 6-7 back ups that was eating away at my card!! so i deleted them all apart from the latest one (Yesterday) I was OK to do that wasn't i?

Reactions: LoUiS1985
Upvote 0
OK i think i understand now......I was not only confusng myself but starting to confuse you too......so I'll quit while I'm ahead...;)

Anyways i have 130Mb free with a fair few apps downloaded........I have some on SD so.....like you say......they must be the ones that coded to be on there...

Thanks anyway mate.....big help
:D:D

No probs mate, i have had tonnes of help from folk on this board, so i know exactly how you feel. Blooming hell! 130MB free after restore of apps!! You have done well there, i only had 139 after flashing the rom, before app install!! you cant have that many apps really then eh? anyhoo, glad you have it sorted, stop worrying about memory and go enjoy the froyo experience!!

BTW, have you noticed how much faster your phone is? you can check how quick it is by installing Quadrant from the market, it runs a benchmark test to show you how fast its running.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones