• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung galaxy 2 won't be turned off

I think I now know what the problem is. The micro USB port on the phone has no cover and is exposed. It seems to be prone to getting a little moist, and this problem arises when that happens. I suspect that brushing the connection or blowing air is simply drying out the connection.

Bang on Bobby. Thanks.

My nearly two year old Galaxy S2 started acting up this morning. First, having been on charge as usual while I slept, the screen went dim and I got a message saying that the charging had been interrupted because the port was over voltage.... That was weird. The factory charger was in use. The battery indicator showed that it was near empty. I switched the phone off and it came back on. This happened a lot of times and in the end I pulled the battery. No change. Then I read this thread....

I took my 10 mag jeweller's loupe and looked into the micro usb port in good light. Yuk! The interior looked like that French mouldy cheese. Now I like those kinds of cheese, but not inside my phone.

I applied the toothbrush solution and blew out the port. Then because I do electronic repairs, I had around some of the spray contact cleaner (for switches and such) so I gave a squirt of that and then looked through the loupe again. All was now clean and shiny.

The phone is working properly again, AND VERY ODD, when I plugged it in to charge, the battery was full, as it ought to have been after an overnight eight hour charge. I had thought the dirty contacts had prevented charging, but the clearly didn't. The computer in the phone was messed up by the dirty port. Probably a short or something.

Thanks chaps - A GREAT little phone. It has had a toughish two years with me being regularly dropped. Still works perfectly if we excuse this little aberration. Battery holds out well too for a phone that has been charged at least 600 times.

Upvote 0
Fix !!!! Will not turn off power comes back on
any samsung phone
the real problem is dirty were u plug the power cord in
clean it with tooth brush realy good
i tried cleaning it 3 times with tooth brush did not help
4th time brushed even more in and on the side of the female plugin and wuala !!! Fixed/ keep trying, cleaning with brush thats all repair man going to do!!!!!!!! It will work, may be corosion, not just a spec of dirt
check out my new cd www.myspace.com/spivgunshow1

Upvote 0
Hi guys

Many thanks for all the useful info and advice.

A friend's Galaxy S2 kept switching back on a few seconds after one switched it off. We tried a factory reset, updating Android and updating the Samsung firmware. Nothing helped.

But then cleaning the micro-USB socket with a dry toothbrush sorted it out.

I too would never have thought of that.

Thanks for the great tip.

Regards
Ray

Upvote 0
I also bought my wife an s2 and after one week it started behaving weird.First it started beeping and flashing randomly,Then it entered into driving mode and speech recognition or such things.I reset the phone to factory settings but the problem now changed to rebooting itself after switching off and showing the battery icon as charging even when the phone was not connected to the mains.I understood the problem to be with the charging port.Its just simple what I did, I just took a sewing needle and removed the dirt clogged in the port,and that was all.The port had short circuits due to dirt,very sensitive.So its no big deal actually.

Upvote 0
Since my usb port had to be changed due to not charging battery anymore, after replacing i bought 2 extra batteries and an external charger for $12.
this is saving the usb port from multiple wear issues.
I simply pull the back cover off and remove the battery every night.
(Samsung I717, note 1).
Same can be done with other Note phones.
It worked fine for a few months after changing the usb port, but now will turn on/off if battery level gets below 1/4.
Also started not turning off when I tell it to do so(would come back on).
No problem though, I just remove the battery and will minimize the use of the usb port (data only).

Upvote 0
I think I now know what the problem is. The micro USB port on the phone has no cover and is exposed. It seems to be prone to getting a little moist, and this problem arises when that happens. I suspect that brushing the connection or blowing air is simply drying out the connection.

My phone now switches off OK. The problem arose after I used it at swimming. The phone was never near water but the air is moist at an indoor swimming pool. It has now dried out and it now turns off OK.

So, my advice for anyone with this problem is to coonnect a USB cable to it to switch it off, which will work for as long as it takes to dry out the phone.

This is a hardware problem that Samsung needs to address. I've used many phones at the swimming and never had this problem.
Thanks. This was the solution to my very annoying similar problem. The USB end of my charger cord got dunked in water. I blew the water off, but my phone would not shut down even long after (24 hours) the water must have evaporated. Inspired by reading your post about 32 hours later identifying water as the possible culprit, I tried again and the phone shuts down now just as I expect it.

Another forum about S2 failure to close is on forums.androidcentral.com

Upvote 0
Thanks. This was the solution to my very annoying similar problem. The USB end of my charger cord got dunked in water. I blew the water off, but my phone would not shut down even long after (24 hours) the water must have evaporated. Inspired by reading your post about 32 hours later identifying water as the possible culprit, I tried again and the phone shuts down now just as I expect it.

Another forum about S2 failure to close is on forums.androidcentral.com
I got over optimistic. I was wrong. The phone is not starting and shutting properly. The phone starts up and shuts down properly only while it is receiving a charge. The phone will not start up when not receiving a charge. When shut down when not getting charged, the phone continuously displays those images of a D-cell battery which it is supposed to display only once when charging starts. Those displays exhaust the battery and the OS will not start up again when no charge up is flowing into the USB. This condition is still unacceptable because leaving the phone on at all times is beyond the capacity of the inadequate S2 battery.

Upvote 0
I got over optimistic. I was wrong. The phone is not starting and shutting properly. The phone starts up and shuts down properly only while it is receiving a charge. The phone will not start up when not receiving a charge. When shut down when not getting charged, the phone continuously displays those images of a D-cell battery which it is supposed to display only once when charging starts. Those displays exhaust the battery and the OS will not start up again when no charge up is flowing into the USB. This condition is still unacceptable because leaving the phone on at all times is beyond the capacity of the inadequate S2 battery.
I did thoroughly tooth brush the phone and charger cord USBs.

Upvote 0
I did thoroughly tooth brush the phone and charger cord USBs.

I contacted my FreedomPop service provider who suggested a solution that worked for my phone:

1. Update profile and PRL at the system updates section of settings.
2. Go to the App Manager and do a Force Stop then Clear Data on the messaging app.
3. Re-enroll into the messaging app.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all - another sucess from cleaning the USB port.
Used an interdental brush and some alcohol. (Vodka is quite good but I used IsoPropanol - switch cleaner.)
Also note, a symptom was that the phone was being wrong about when it was charging. It thought it was always on charge. My S3 is doing similar....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones