• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Security issue on open wifi

JAy3001

Android Expert
Dec 13, 2010
UK
Just back from our holidays and have been using the resorts wifi connection along side my VPN. (SurfEasy)

The resort wifi was a little inconsistent dropping as you walked around, most of the time the VPN will drop off awaiting the connection again. Then it would spring back into life, sadly it did not do this all of the time and once I noticed this I would kill the wifi connection when not in use to eliminate the issue.

Having come back I noticed that in my calendar app (samsungs calender) that an event had been added from the date it was added right thru to the end of the year. It was full in detail telling me my iPhone x was ready for pickup and provided a dodgy shortened amazon link. I removed these entries straight away.

So, how did this happen? Any ideas if my device may have been compromised because of the lack of VPN cover? I've seen nothing else dodgy such as apps or processes.

I have installed SkyView free at a wedding the day after we landed to entertain the kids. Thou I have not seen any bad reviews for this app and was recommended by google..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.t11.skyviewfree

Reactions: Dannydet

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones