• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should HTC Recall the Batteries?

So 30% in 6 hours equates to about 20 hours for a full drain at 5% per hour. That's not bad if you ask me.

Yes I know, but other times with the same or less usage it drains within 4 hours, like this morning when it went down 10% in 35 minutes of mostly web browsing. Done about 2 hours since then with several calls, text and playing some games and it has only gone down 30% in 6 hours. The difference is what worries me that it is a problem with the battery. Just so inconsistent.

Upvote 0
I've been averaging a day after the update with moderate use. (Using wi-fi, bluetooth, texts, calls, internet....)

I think you have an app running continuously in the background. Also, if you are getting weak 3G signals in your area, switch to wi-fi. This will save alot of battery life since the radios don't have to work so hard searching for a signal.

Upvote 0
I've been averaging a day after the update with moderate use. (Using wi-fi, bluetooth, texts, calls, internet....)

I think you have an app running continuously in the background. Also, if you are getting weak 3G signals in your area, switch to wi-fi. This will save alot of battery life since the radios don't have to work so hard searching for a signal.

Again, read the first post, nothing changed from the time i got bad battery life to the time i got great battery life, have been on wifi all day. Use startup cleaner to kill all unnecessary apps when the phone starts up.

Upvote 0
OP, I was almost going to post the same thing today. I charged the phone, while OFF. Sometime during the night I was up and unplugged it because it had turned green. Phone was still OFF. Turned it on in the morning and it lost 10 percent in about 5 minutes or less. I plugged back in while ON and charged it until green. I am now at 87 percent 5 1/2 hours later! I don't get this behavior either. I understand the battery charging then draining while on the charger, but if it is off to begin with, how does that happen? I am all right with doing the plug back in thing and it works well, it is just strange.

I plug mine in before I go to bed and turn it off to charge. And I let it turn green before I go to sleep. Unplug it and keep it turned off all night. Turn it on in the morning when I get up and it starts at 90%. While it odds on I plug it back in while I take my shower and get ready. Take it off to drive to work. Get there and it is back to 90. Plug it in at work let it turn green again take it off and can make it till about noon before it hits 50. During that time I text my wife some and surf the net about 4 or5 times for about 5 minutes each time. I just don't get it. Got another battery. Done all the tricks and this is how it is.

Upvote 0
It resets back if your restart the phone. Unless you have an app that is constantly running and draining power, the network fix will correct your issue.

If the issue is bad roaming. I believe that it was established that that was endemic to a partial run of the earlier phones and a correct PRL fixes that anyway - yes?

Or - you could send people to the Network app - same thing, without entering the service menu where noobs can really cause damage.

I never needed that fix, I reboot often enough and I get great battery life - on par with yours - because I just don't run network babbling apps.

My time without service? Zero percent.

Reactions: dels28
Upvote 0
all batteries work like that, there is just a worse software configuration for charging the battery. Basically once it reach 100%, it stops charging to protect from damaging/overcharging the battery. Usually batteries wait for it to drop to 90% before it charges to 100% again, so when you unplugged it, it could be anywhere from 90-100% but claiming at 100%. You can use systempanel lite to see your actual battery voltage, and mine claims 100% anywhere between 4100 to 4250 millivolts. I think if you can unplug near 4200 millivolts, that's ideal.

Mine says 3772 milivolts at 47%, that would mean over 7000milivolts at 100%. How is it that much more than yours, or am i reading it wrong in terms of scale?

Upvote 0
I don't know about everyone else but the erratic performance of the battery to me maybe points to manufacturing defect. Today i charged overnight with the phone one, turned on while still plugged in, unhooked and used for about 35 mins of web browsing over wifi, one sms, one voice-mail. Went down to 89%. Put it back on the charger and took it off anywhere from one to ten mins after it had turned green, was doing some other stuff and when i went to make a call noticed it has still on 100% after an hour. It was idle the whole time so i decided to do some web browsing for the same amount of time as before over wifi, also did some sms and made a few calls. Over 3 hours later it reached 89%. It makes no sense. Yesterday I only got about 4 hours of use before i got the warning, and for about 20-30mins of that it was on the car charger, and i charged to 100% and pulled off right when it turned green that time. There must be something wrong with the batteries they sent out that makes them so inconsistent.

Because of the power of this phone, there has to be a sacrafice made somewhere. Processing speed = use of power. Just like a Corvette compared to a Smart car, the corvette is fast but the gas runs out faster.

If you want a phone that the batter lasts all day, get a palm pre or samsung green or something of that nature.

Upvote 0
Because of the power of this phone, there has to be a sacrafice made somewhere. Processing speed = use of power. Just like a Corvette compared to a Smart car, the corvette is fast but the gas runs out faster.

If you want a phone that the batter lasts all day, get a palm pre or samsung green or something of that nature.

Again, that is not what i am talking about. If the corvette gets 12mpg gallon going 40mph, but then all of a sudden it gets 30mpg going 40mph the next day, then the day after that it gets 5mpg going 40mph that would be something you looked into. That is what i am talking about here, the inconsistent nature of the battery. People need to read the f**king post and stop saying this over and over again, I know the damn phone will use energy when i use it and that it is a smartphone and therefore use more, i am talking about it going from one extreme to another from day to day, when you take it off the charger you have no idea what you are going to get.

Upvote 0

Palm Pre? Bad example. From what I hear, the Evo gets battery life than the Pre, which is notorious for having awful battery life.

Upvote 0
Again, that is not what i am talking about. If the corvette gets 12mpg gallon going 40mph, but then all of a sudden it gets 30mpg going 40mph the next day, then the day after that it gets 5mpg going 40mph that would be something you looked into. That is what i am talking about here, the inconsistent nature of the battery. People need to read the f**king post and stop saying this over and over again, I know the damn phone will use energy when i use it and that it is a smartphone and therefore use more, i am talking about it going from one extreme to another from day to day, when you take it off the charger you have no idea what you are going to get.

Yeah, really. It's more like "why does the gas mileage on my corvette suck more today than it did yesterday, when I drove it the same way?"

Reactions: Jonhern
Upvote 0
I think that 99% of the time it's user error.

I am a heavy user and I get great battery life.
User error in charging a freaking phone? Get outta here.

Personally I think the battery is getting a bad rap because the charging sequence on this phone is terrible. HTC needs to program the trickle function better. Case in point yesterday I had my phone nearly full while on the charger playing robo defense . the phone got a maximum charge then stopped charging and went down to 75 percent. while still on the charger, but did not start charging again.

Upvote 0
Most of the people in this thread don't know what they're talking about, they just see a thread about battery problems and post their cookie cutter responses.

I'm having the same problem as you, and after trying everything I have narrowed it down to that a few others in this thread said, that leaving it on charger after its full causes it to run on its own battery.

The only "fix" that worked for me was the topping off thing, where you charge it till its green, unplug, replug till its green, turn it off,
unplug, replug till its green, unplug, replug till its green, unplug, replug..etcetc

The day I did that, I got INSANE battery life, I was at 7x% after 10 hours with HEAVY use, including watching 30 straight minutes of youtube over 3g.

Only problem is, its way too troublesome to do that all the time, but the fact that it IS possible for the evo to get such insanely awesome battery life makes me want a fix. Just knowing it's possible yet we're not getting it is annoying.

To me, it seems like a software/hardware problem thats related to the phone, not the battery, but I'm curious to see if exchanging the battery helps. I would definitely swap it out or swap out my phone depending on how your result is, so keep us posted!

Reactions: Jonhern
Upvote 0
Most of the people in this thread don't know what they're talking about, they just see a thread about battery problems and post their cookie cutter responses.

I'm having the same problem as you, and after trying everything I have narrowed it down to that a few others in this thread said, that leaving it on charger after its full causes it to run on its own battery.

The only "fix" that worked for me was the topping off thing, where you charge it till its green, unplug, replug till its green, turn it off,
unplug, replug till its green, unplug, replug till its green, unplug, replug..etcetc

The day I did that, I got INSANE battery life, I was at 7x% after 10 hours with HEAVY use, including watching 30 straight minutes of youtube over 3g.

Only problem is, its way too troublesome to do that all the time, but the fact that it IS possible for the evo to get such insanely awesome battery life makes me want a fix. Just knowing it's possible yet we're not getting it is annoying.

To me, it seems like a software/hardware problem thats related to the phone, not the battery, but I'm curious to see if exchanging the battery helps. I would definitely swap it out or swap out my phone depending on how your result is, so keep us posted!

Yeah, that is why i decided to charge while off, guessing it would not use battery after it was full, lol, but got bad battery life after i turned it on, then when i put it back on and charged again to 100% i was great. The thing is I have been doing the latter every time i charge, i charge while on over night since most days i need the alarm clock, i take it off when i wake up use it a bit and after it goes down to around 90% i top it off, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but never got anything like today.

Upvote 0

Agree, the EVO has great battery life when it's charged properly, however charging properly should not consist of on charger- off charger- on charger- off charger- on etc., having to turn the phone off is just plain STUPID. Who should not be able to receive calls to charge their phone all the way???

This is HTC's problem, not sprint, and in most cases, not the battery either. It's not the battery's fault it hasn't been charged for 4-5 hours before you unplug it. HTC made a phone that's entirely capable of handling itself, then they go and screw it up by not letting the battery charge all the way.

PS

Apologists are as bad as fanboys from other brands or makes.

Upvote 0
I will throw in my 2 cents. I have a feeling that the battery reporting is part of the problem. The day I quit worrying about what %age drop I got over short 1-2 hour time frames was quite liberating. It really doesn't matter if I have 95% or 80% left after a few hours of use, my main concern is how it lasts after using it from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. I don't really pay attention to the % remaining in System Panel or anything else anymore. I would quit worrying about the % remaining after just a couple of hours of use and look at it from more of a long-term approach.

Upvote 0
If the issue is bad roaming. I believe that it was established that that was endemic to a partial run of the earlier phones and a correct PRL fixes that anyway - yes?

Or - you could send people to the Network app - same thing, without entering the service menu where noobs can really cause damage.

I never needed that fix, I reboot often enough and I get great battery life - on par with yours - because I just don't run network babbling apps.

My time without service? Zero percent.

I've been sitting around for the last four or five days wondering why my battery is getting twice as much usage and lo and behold I'm guessing the PRL update to 68 may have improved my battery life.

Upvote 0
I don't see a big problem with the Evo's battery life, it's in line with the other smart phones I've had
This. My last two phones were a MotoQ and a Pre -- the Moto barely made it through a few hours of heavy use, and the Pre was about the same as the Evo, though the Pre didn't do as much as the Evo so it had no excuse.

That said, yes, it will not last as long as a Blackberry or a normal phone. It's just something that comes with the Super Smartphone territory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones