• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Slingbox question ?

Ok, so how do I select a channel on my evo? The controls kinda suck?

call your wife or roommate (or whoever) at home and have them change the channel.

i tease. touch the screen, touch the 3X3 box, type in your channel, touch enter...bingo bango channel changes. keep in mind it's a little laggy and slow to respond but hell, you're watching your home TV on your phone for crying out loud!

Upvote 0
I too was hesitant to make the purchase, $230 for the app and box. However I don't regret it at all now. We watched the slingbox on the laptop in the back of our suv for hours, it kept my daughter occupied, and she could call up all her recorded shows on the DVR.

Plus we caught the Redskins preseason game live in a restaurant, local news channels, etc...it took a while to get comfortable with the controls but they are laid out well considering how little real estate there is to work with. Plus streaming the HD channels changes the aspect ratio so it fills the screen completely.

I can set up recording sessions with it, pause live TV if I need to, etc..I can basically do everything I can do at the TV itself. The nicest feature is the auto SELECT transmit everytime I launch it so the DVR wakes up after the overnight updates.

Upvote 0
i have a pro-hd and the app, and its truly as revolutionary to your TV experience as it was when DVRs first came around.

The controls on the phone seem to lag and sometimes I don't know whether its 'thinking' as its processing a command or just sitting there, but it still works. I usually leave it on the main channel I watch (ESPN) when I leave home so its never really an issue.

The app DOES need to be updated to include HDMI out, audio only and ability to run in the background. I got knocked off a couple times because I got a text message and the popup (or anything besides the app) that comes up will knock you off. I am going to look into using 'Tasker' to set up a profile to disable notifications when slingbox is up.

Upvote 0
I've owned a Slingbox Pro (the old red one) for a few years - I've never had a problem with it at all.

I got the client for WM when it came out (and it ran fairly well on AT&T's network), and I just for it for Android (and it works really well on Sprint's network). I can connect to my cable box, my DVD player, and a camera (I check in on my cat - you know, cat's party when their owners aren't there)....

IMHO - Worth the $$.

Now, all I need is Hulu and Netflix.....

Upvote 0
One thing to make sure, that you have enough upload speed on your home internet. I have 8mb down, but only .5mb up, and the quality isnt that great.

So what upload speed do you need for decent results? I think I'm only at about 700k.

I've been on the fence about getting a Slingbox for years. My #1 reason for getting it would be to watch NHL games while out of town...but it seems like that's really one of the worst uses for the device considering the slow framerates.

Upvote 0
I also have the Sling Mobile app and agree with most of the posts above...BUT: I will say that the remote control interface is kind of krappy on Android. I find myself having to hit the MISC button for things like Stop or Channel Guide, which should be part of the basic controls. Fortunately, the picture quality is excellent, I just wish they would upgrade the buttons...for $30, they should.

Upvote 0
So what upload speed do you need for decent results? I think I'm only at about 700k.

I've been on the fence about getting a Slingbox for years. My #1 reason for getting it would be to watch NHL games while out of town...but it seems like that's really one of the worst uses for the device considering the slow framerates.

Well I have about 500k upload, and it will stop and buffer about every 5 seconds. I would suggest at least 1 meg up.

Upvote 0
i have the mobile app. the interface is poorly designed imo and the video quality is just ok. it wont fill the full screen and changing the aspect ratio will only stretch or distort the show you are watching.
Which SlingBox do you have? I have the ProHD and it formats stuff perfectly on the Evo.

I have a slow 450kish up Internet connection and for the most part it works just fine. It seems to depend more on the 3G / wifi connection my phone has more than anything else. The client seems to change the quality depending on what bandwidth is available.

It was better when I had a 2 meg up connection but it's still plenty usable with my slower connection.

Upvote 0
ProHD on the Evo, antenna source (ATSC):

slingdroid002.jpg

slingdroid003.jpg

Upvote 0
my setup...
Source: DirectTV HD Box s-video out
Slingbox Model: Sling A/V
Home Connection: Comcast 5-6mb down & 2mb up
Evo Connection: 4G - 3mb down & 1mb up
sling-2.jpg

sling-5.jpg

Conclusion: IMO sling is definitely worth every penny... its a one time fee, and the product lasts... I paid $110 for my Sling A/V 3 yrs ago, and its still going strong...

Upvote 0
my setup...

Evo Connection: 4G - 3mb down & 1mb up

This is your key to image quality. The 4G signal is a huge help. I'm using an Incredible on VZW 3g and the image quality is okay, albeit fluid, with a bar or two. I should try it out in the parking lot here at work where the signal is pretty strong to see if it's better. Oh, I'm viewing FIOS TV with the Motorola HD-DVR on FIOS internet with a 20mbps down / 5mbps up connection so I have plenty of bandwidth both ways. Sending it out through the server and back to my laptop was amazing quality. The bitrate was 3-4mbps and it was pretty much flawless.

So my question to you all: I have a very noticable sync issue between the video and audio on my phone. Any ideas? Can the sync/delay be adjusted somewhere? It's quite annoying.

Upvote 0
If you have dish network you can upgrade to Vip 922 receiver which has built in slingbox and get app for free. Best thing about 922 is that when someone slings in it does not effect the home tv and change the channel. You can be recording 2 shows, Watching a recorded show and can sling one show all at same time. My daughter who lives 3000 miles away doesnt need her own tv service as she records to my receiver and watches whenever she wants on her tv that is hooked to pc via hdmi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones